Photo
- - - - -

High School Students Parking On Streets Near High School?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

Are high school students who do not have parking permits allowed to park on the streets in neighborhoods near the high schools?  I was under the impression that since they are public streets, there is no regulation that would say that students cannot park in the neighborhoods.  

However, our friend's son parked in one of the neighborhoods (not gated) near Vista last year and one woman kept leaving sticky notes on several cars saying "This is not the Vista parking lot."  It would seem that while she may not like it, she really can't stop the students from parking there.  Is that correct?  

#2 SCA

SCA

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

We live in the neighborhood across from Vista where several students park. The streets are public so the students have the right to park here. The neighbors occasionally call the police when they see students drinking or smoking pot, or when their parking jobs are so bad that it's a nuisance. A few years ago the USPS created a no parking zone in front of the mailboxes so the mail truck would have a place to park. The number of cars increases in the spring as more sophomores turn 16 and get their licenses. The parking isn't that big of a deal but neighbors get frustrated because there always seem to be empty spots at Vista when you look across the street. The campus monitors are really good about coming down in the golf cart to have a look around. I've had people tell me that some students park off campus because they don't want their cars subject to search. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Our house is on the backside of the neighborhood so we don't get any cars by us but I know some of the neighbors have looked into parking restrictions such as a 3 hour time limit. However, if the city approves that it would apply to the students and residents alike.

#3 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

The neighbors occasionally call the police when they see students drinking or smoking pot,  

Wow, drinking and/or smoking pot right there in broad daylight.

At least we tried to hide it *back in the day* when I was that age.

The modern youth: Not too bright.

#4 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:43 PM

Are high school students who do not have parking permits allowed to park on the streets in neighborhoods near the high schools?  I was under the impression that since they are public streets, there is no regulation that would say that students cannot park in the neighborhoods.  

However, our friend's son parked in one of the neighborhoods (not gated) near Vista last year and one woman kept leaving sticky notes on several cars saying "This is not the Vista parking lot."  It would seem that while she may not like it, she really can't stop the students from parking there.  Is that correct?  

The neighboring streets near Folsom High have parking restrictions during school hours. Kids used to park there, but not anymore. I guess it will just be a matter of time before signs go up in the neighboring streets around Vista.

#5 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the replies--I appreciate your comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users