• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (tony @ Sep 5 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...the prospect of getting two adults, four kids, four bikes, one tag-along bike and a trailer on a light rail vehicle in 30 seconds is daunting (not to mention against the rules) even to a hardcore biking family like ours.

A week or so ago I saw this rig:

Dad and kid on tandem bike pulling
A tagalong with another boy pulling
A boy in a bike trailer

There were also another two boys on their own bikes. I was impressed!
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#17 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

Is there much shade on the Lake Natoma loop? Or is most of it in full sun? I want to try this, but my husband laughs at me reminding me I'm not young and fit anymore.

#18 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

It's pretty good, half and half I guess. If you go in the evening you get the most shade from the cliff on the west side.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

#19 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Sep 5 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A week or so ago I saw this rig:

Dad and kid on tandem bike pulling
A tagalong with another boy pulling
A boy in a bike trailer

There were also another two boys on their own bikes. I was impressed!

Wasn't us -- sounds like two too many boys -- although our 9 year old has been known to pull a trailer, but I don't think we've let him do it with actual kids inside. I have been known to ride a tandem with a tagalong plus two trailers (when the youngest was still riding in a car seat that occupied a full trailer), your basic 500-lb bike (no lock required). Gets people's attention on the trail, almost as much as a canoe.

#20 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Motocross, boating and my boys....

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

Thanks everyone for all the help. So I am going to do it with Hubby tomorrow.

With all the posts I think you all helped with my questions

Leaving a car at the light rail here, heading down to Old Sac then over to behind the Amtrak station and catch the Gold Line from Sacto Valley Station and heading home...Did I leave anything out?

Bought some butt cushy shorts today, a camelback, a little pump kit and I think I am ready little bit of $ to get back home and maybe lunch and we should be good.

Did I miss anything???

#21 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

BTW I have never done the light rail thing, so I assuming by my investigation of the light rail site I just get on that gold line and it will get me back up here to Folsom --- do I have to switch rails or just stay on that one? It looks like I just get on Gold LIne and it takes me home

#22 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (hopeanelli @ Sep 5 2009, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW I have never done the light rail thing, so I assuming by my investigation of the light rail site I just get on that gold line and it will get me back up here to Folsom --- do I have to switch rails or just stay on that one? It looks like I just get on Gold LIne and it takes me home

Gold Line will get you all the way back home, but you might have to get off at Sunrise and wait for the next train. I think only every other one goes all the way to Folsom, and Sunrise is where the double tracks stop.

#23 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (hopeanelli @ Sep 5 2009, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the Gold Line will take you all the way back, but watch out because only every other train goes all the way to Folsom. The rest stop at Sunrise. The Folsom-bound trains leave 2 minutes before the hour and half hour on Sundays (until 6:30 PM).

If you haven't done light rail, you should probably know the rules for bikes: Bikes on RT Basically, 4 bikes are allowed on each car (there will be 2-car trains on Sunday), two in front and two in back, except none are allowed in the front of the first car. They rarely enforce these rules unless the trains are really crowded, as there are frequently 4 bikes at each end of each car. The newer cars have bike hooks with fold-up seats. Most people don't use them because they are hard to use with mountain bike tires, and because you actually take up more room if you use them than if you don't. But if you're riding from end to end as you will be, it's worth using the hooks and not having to hang onto your bike for 55 minutes.

Don't forget to bring a snack for the ride -- and eat it. Thirty miles will wipe you out if you have nothing but water along the way. And while there are water fountains along the trail, there aren't that many, so don't pass them up with less than a half-full bottle.

Make sure you know how to follow the trail from Discovery Park to Old Sac. Technically, the ARP starts at Discovery Park. I'm not sure what the stretch along the other side of the river to Old Sac is called (I think the Two Rivers Trail).

#24 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

WELL I MADE IT.. OMG what a life accomplishment for me the overweight person who just wants to get on track.

I had a blast it took us a long time I lost it a few times but hubby was right there with all the encouragement I needed..

Thanks all of you for all the great advice it came in handy- we had 3 flats Thank god we had the pump and some extra tubes my bike did great stopped had a little snack down by Howe. We left North Lexington at 8am got to Discovery Park MILE O at 2:45pm.. Never been so happy to see that Mile O marker...

#25 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:39 PM

Great job and Congrats
"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#26 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (benning @ Sep 6 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great job and Congrats

Congratulations!! smile.gif

#27 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (Devdave @ Sep 7 2009, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congratulations!! smile.gif

Once I sat down last night I could not move started to wonder how I would feel today... I went to bed at 8pm woke up at 8am this morning and I am ok a little saddle sore but other than that not as bad as I thought. I won't be doing any riding today or for a few days I will be taking up walking then back in the saddle maybe next weekend...

#28 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:41 PM

Good job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users