• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Again. When will the stupid government learn? When will they take actions that are actually effective?

In the news today, again, it appears that pet snacks sourced from China are severely sickening pets, including death.

Since the FDA can't assure product safety, why not just ban imports of ANY food stuff made in China or by a Chinese company (not Taiwan -- PRC)? Why don't we consider these basic acts of terrorism? Whether it financially or politically motivated (and in some cases, the line is blurred), these are assaults on our society on a mass scale.

What would our reaction be if, say, Iraq was the source of these issues? Should we be treating China based infractions any differently?

http://vitals.msnbc....eports-say?lite

#2 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Simple, b/c America is china's B*&CH! Whether you want to believe it or not. They don't count on us for even one export, but we count on them for almost every import except agriculture. Let's face it, we are a big customer of China, but not a necessary customer. The whole world counts on China for their products and there is little over sight for quality as long as we keep buying.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#3 Molly

Molly

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Silly me, I hesitated because those treats were made in China, but I bought them anyway because all of the other options seemed to be full of fillers and junk and these had the fewest ingredients. Luckily neither of the foster dogs I fed them to got sick, and I just threw the rest away.

I have very little trust in the FDA in general, not just concerning imports from China. Unfortunately, their philosophy seems to be "safe until proven dangerous" instead of the other way around.

#4 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

Silly me, I hesitated because those treats were made in China, but I bought them anyway because all of the other options seemed to be full of fillers and junk and these had the fewest ingredients. Luckily neither of the foster dogs I fed them to got sick, and I just threw the rest away.

I have very little trust in the FDA in general, not just concerning imports from China. Unfortunately, their philosophy seems to be "safe until proven dangerous" instead of the other way around.

I agree with not trusting the FDA! Just look at all the drugs that were supposed to be safe, and are now being withdrawn! And there are many ads on TV about class action law suits against those drug companies now.

It’s better to feed your pets chicken you cook and keep in the frig. Snacks can be real bacon you cook and keep in the frig.

It would sure be cheaper food, and the Vet bills wouldn’t hit you in the pocket when they get sick from the Chinese crap.

#5 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

[/b]

I agree with not trusting the FDA! Just look at all the drugs that were supposed to be safe, and are now being withdrawn! And there are many ads on TV about class action law suits against those drug companies now.

It’s better to feed your pets chicken you cook and keep in the frig. Snacks can be real bacon you cook and keep in the frig.

It would sure be cheaper food, and the Vet bills wouldn’t hit you in the pocket when they get sick from the Chinese crap.

PLEASE DO NOT feed your dogs REAL Bacon... it is far too high in fat and can lead to an immediate case of Pancretitis which could kill the pup... Same applies to other fatty foods... On Chicken only use boneless skinless Breasts and only boiled AFTER you remove the excess fat...
Also - the chicken should only make up 20% or less of each meal...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#6 Molly

Molly

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

PLEASE DO NOT feed your dogs REAL Bacon... it is far too high in fat and can lead to an immediate case of Pancretitis which could kill the pup... Same applies to other fatty foods... On Chicken only use boneless skinless Breasts and only boiled AFTER you remove the excess fat...

I wasn't aware of this until you mentioned it (although I had always heard that dogs were generally healthier if fed only dog food) but the foster dog we just got previously spent a lot of time at the vet for pancreatitis because her former owner fed her a lot of raw hamburger and bacon. Luckily she recovered, she's the sweetest dog. Anyway, thanks for sharing, I think most of us just assume that any meat is safe for dogs.

#7 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

The vet told me real bacon is just fine as long as you get the non salted, cured type, your dog is not overweight or have problems with things like diabetes and hypertension, and the dogs diet is well balanced.

When my dog was with us, he was fed a healthy meal that included un-spiced meats, dry dog foods, and fruits and vegetables. I also made sure he was regularly given soup bones and uncooked ham hock bones with plenty of flesh on them.

my dog was seriously skinny no matter how much he ate. He was prescribed rice with veggie bouillon/water; fresh meat, scrambled eggs, and bacon drippings in the winter in order to keep his weight on.

The very worst diets out there are the ones where people just give their dogs straight table scraps--or strict dry food dog food diets.

Dogs are like humans. They need variety depending on the season/ and how active they are. And I have never met a food aggressive dog whose mommy feeds him a variety of yummies to keep life interesting.

Just don't over feed and remember that dogs get diabetes and hypertension and other stuff, just like humans. When you prepare a meal, it really isn;t hard to cut a piece of meat off, and prep it separately. The dogs love smelling the food cooking and then get the surprise of their own plate at the same time as their human family does!

Don't be afraid to ask your vet for healthy human food alternatives to dry dog food. You would be surprised at how closely their needs mirror our own for a healthy diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users