• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Local trail enthusiasts are lobbying to remove existing rail lines in between Folsom and Shingle Springs for recreational purposes; Doing so would stop any progress of restoring old rail lines from Folsom to Placerville.

What do you think? Remove them or restore them?

I have my own thoughts but I'll chime in a few posts.

http://www.psvrr.org...rdstraight.html

#2 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

Local trail enthusiasts are lobbying to remove existing rail lines in between Folsom and Shingle Springs for recreational purposes; Doing so would stop any progress of restoring old rail lines from Folsom to Placerville.

I say "Restore them", I want to see a historical steam locomotive run from Folsom to Placerville again someday. I think that would be real cool.

of course, I have a train set that runs around my Christmas Tree base every year. I have train sets from child hood and my Dad's childhood. I used to love watching the trains in Truckee when I visited my Grandmother, her house was on a hill with a beautiful view of the old train station.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#3 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

I say keep them and eventually restore them- we should not let them go ... A trail can be located next to them -

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#4 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Yes, absolutely we should keep them. They are an important part of our history and every time I've taken a ride on one of their excursion trips, its really fun and beautiful to get into some country side you really can't see otherwise. They are part of our heritage and we would be foolish to let this go. It is just one more aspect of living here that makes Folsom great!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#5 JMB83

JMB83

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

I like trains, but to restore that line is cost prohibitive and there isn't a business model that would support it financially. I'm a fan of the "rails to trails" concept... people can see all the same beauty they could on a short excursion train, but do it while getting exercise on their feet or bikes (or horse?). I think it's awesome that the long term plan is to connect Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe via the American River Trail, the El Dorado Trail and the Pony Express Trail!

http://eldoradotrail.com/

Posted Image

#6 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

I think once the rails are ripped out and right-of-way removed, there is no turning back. I'm a huge fan of our expansive trail system... but you can put a trail anywhere. You can't put a rail line anywhere.

Anyone who is in favor of ripping out existing track, I urge you to take a trip to Carson City, Nevada and take the tourist train to Virginia City. Ask yourself:
a) Any reason I ever would have visited Carson City/Virginia City had it not been for this?
b) Is this benefitting Carson City and Virginia City's economy?

It's a fun ride - and a boost to local tourism.

The funding may sound cost-prohibitive, but I believe they are making progress in fundraising. Just 5 years ago they didn't have excursion trains to Latrobe...

#7 Homer

Homer

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

My initial reaction to your post was "Good their going to put in more trails." But after reading the link i like the rails with trails plan. After looking at the map of the proposed rail removal i don't see why it makes sense to remove them, Unless developers are tring to keep trains out of that area.

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

I'm for keeping the tracks. There's no way they will ever replace them once they are ripped out.

#9 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Keep the trails. There is a group already trying to fix the tracks and get some sort of excursion. They are Placerville & Sacramento Valley Railroad. Why would we destroy the railroad history of the area when I bike trail could so easily be put somewhere else?

#10 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

Remove them. They do nothing. Wouldn't it be amazing to ride a bike from here to Lake Tahoe?

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

there can be bike trails right next to the train tracks. no reason to just have the one or the other. and only a small percentage of the community is going to be able to see a lot of that back country. not everyone is up to a major bike ride or even a major hike, but everyone, old and young and disabled alike, can ride the rails.

keep the rails!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#12 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

I think once the rails are ripped out and right-of-way removed, there is no turning back. I'm a huge fan of our expansive trail system... but you can put a trail anywhere. You can't put a rail line anywhere.

Anyone who is in favor of ripping out existing track, I urge you to take a trip to Carson City, Nevada and take the tourist train to Virginia City. Ask yourself:
a) Any reason I ever would have visited Carson City/Virginia City had it not been for this?
b) Is this benefitting Carson City and Virginia City's economy?

It's a fun ride - and a boost to local tourism.

The funding may sound cost-prohibitive, but I believe they are making progress in fundraising. Just 5 years ago they didn't have excursion trains to Latrobe...

I agree fully with John. As a passenger train railfan, I would love to see a regularly scheduled excursion train between Folsom and Placerville. Maybe even an "Apple Hill Special" that includes a motorcoach tour of Apple Hill. I'd be the 1st to buy tickets for that... no more stuck in HWY 50 traffic in Placerville, no more having to play the parking spot game.

The Niles Canyon Railway (http://www.ncry.org/) in Fremont is a great example of a preserved route. Had it not been for that route, I would not have visited there and spent money at local businesses. Same goes for the train in Old Sac, the Napa Wine Train, etc. They're all privately funded by ticket sales and donations, and bring in tourists from all over. I don't think a bike trail would have the same draw. If we could do rail + trail, even better. Folsom's Chamber is always trying to attract more visitors to town, especially overnight guests. This opportunity is too great to be passed up.
--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#13 Toadster

Toadster

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

if we restore them, make it profitable - run a train of sorts, sure it may not be light-rail quality - but at least recoup some costs and add functionality to the area...

if we remove them, then that's cool too - I know LOTS of folks who'd love to ride/hike up in that area - I WOULD!

#14 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Same goes for the train in Old Sac, the Napa Wine Train, etc.

Have ridden them both, and they are a unique and fun experience. I've also biked across a few states...no reason we can't have both...

I like the idea of an Apple Hill wine train...day trip up, a few winery shuttles and dinner on the way down around sunset...All aboard!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#15 JMB83

JMB83

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

At one of the meetings I attended regarding this (quite a while ago), I believe I read/heard that building a multi-use, Class I trail (a la American River Trail) off the railroad bed would be crazy $$$ and unfeasable. Basically, it's not so easy to "just build the trail" next to the railroad line.

If you'd like to read a great (and confusing) debate between the key people on each side of the spectrum, check the comments section of this article :wacko:

http://www.sacrament...l_Dorado_County

Unless I'm being mislead, I do think the Shingle Compromise is good for all parties involved. An awesome trail gets built that can be used by anyone, any day. The train enthusiasts get 9 miles of rail to play on and make $ off tourism.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users