#31 folsomstrings

folsomstrings

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (EAH @ Sep 11 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Request claim paperwork and file a claim (for your air conditioner unit, food loss, etc) with :
Stephanie @ SMUD #916-732-5018

Thank you. My husband just came home and fixed it. It wasn't the fuse so he had to check the breaker box. I have no idea what he did, but I am glad he did it. It is nice being married to a man that knows his way with all that because I was sure the unit was toast. It stilll sounds awful.

#32 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

Kim, Have the unit checked. What we had was another brownout which means there's a small amount of electricity getting through. When that happens, the unit keeps TRYING over and over again to work but then it really taxes the engine out. It will burn out pretty quickly. If you're home when it happens, turn off the main at your circuit box immediately to save your big appliances.

Also, MAKE SURE you have a battery back up for your computer that will shut your computer down for you.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#33 folsomstrings

folsomstrings

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (ChefRaven @ Sep 12 2009, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kim, Have the unit checked. What we had was another brownout which means there's a small amount of electricity getting through. When that happens, the unit keeps TRYING over and over again to work but then it really taxes the engine out. It will burn out pretty quickly. If you're home when it happens, turn off the main at your circuit box immediately to save your big appliances.

Also, MAKE SURE you have a battery back up for your computer that will shut your computer down for you.

thank you! I hope that was the last of the power outages.

#34 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the number for the claims. My hard drive started freaking out after the last big ZAP and brown out (even though I have a pretty good surge protector/battery backup) and now it's just about toast. Just usable enough to get on here and look up the phone number. I'll be happy if it lasts the day.

Kimberly Purcell

#35 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

Bummer, just talked to SMUD and since it's due to equipment failure but not the negligence of their workers, they won't honor any claims. Glad I can afford to replace my hard drive since it's how I make a living.

Kimberly Purcell

#36 Inwit

Inwit

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (ChefRaven @ Sep 12 2009, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

an uninteruptable power supply for your computer should protect it from power surges and brownouts (batteries make for very effective filters/isolation from the woes of the grid).

And I wouldn't describe a brownout as "small amount of electricity", it still is plenty enough to kill you. The better description of a brown out is it is a lower than normal voltage situation, somethings have no problems working with low voltages (incandescent light bulbs for one) where as others don't do so well. Large electric motors with heavy loads for one are apt to draw even more current under these conditions which makes them heat-up and burn-out.
n. 1. Inward sense; mind; understanding; conscience.

#37 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

I had it hooked up to a brand new UPS. It was such a strong surge that when I was sitting at my desk typing on my keyboard, I could feel it go up my arms!

The HD is still working but making some awful noises and is very cranky. Already ordered the new one and DavBurr's installing it tomorrow.

Kimberly Purcell

#38 keyplayer

keyplayer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:music, ballet, scuba diving in tropical locations, bicycling, crusing on the bike (BMW1200LT)

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

Don't forget they are turning the power off today to repair another piece. Hopefully this will be the last of the repairs. This isn't normal, we lived here for years without any outages. It has been much more reliable than our power in southern california was.

#39 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

Thanks Keyplayer! I'm about to shut down.

Kimberly Purcell

#40 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (keyplayer @ Sep 24 2009, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't forget they are turning the power off today to repair another piece. Hopefully this will be the last of the repairs. This isn't normal, we lived here for years without any outages. It has been much more reliable than our power in southern california was.

I never got the notice about todays shut down. I just got off the phone with an engineer explaining about todays shutdown. and she toild me that the crews were supposed to hand deliver letters, which I never received.

The good news is it sounds like SMUD is trying to upgrade the equipment so these outages don't happen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users