20 replies to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Did anyone get a call last night about 1:00 am with a recorded message regarding a missing 19-year-old with the mental capacity of a 9-year-old? The recorded message said the alert was for Folsom and Rancho. I hung up before I heard the whole message because there was nothing I could do about it in the middle of the night and I assumed I'd hear/see more information about it today...but I haven't seen or heard anything. I assume this was a Nixle alert, but I didn't see it listed on their website (unless they're a few days behind like Folsom PD's crime log). I don't see anything about it on local news websites.

I'm wondering if anyone here got the call and/or knows more about this, particularly whether the young man was found.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

I doubt its related, but I got a call at 1:02 AM today from "Name Not Found" at 1-999-999-9999. I did not pick up and they did not leave a voice mail. 

"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

at least two of my neighbors got that message too.  calling everyone's home phones at 1 am throughout town seems kind of intrusive, doesn't it?

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

That call woke me out of a sound sleep at 1 a.m., and I have a lot of trouble getting back to sleep (and I have a 6 am wake-up).

I was beyond annoyed. I mean, really, how many people are out and about at 1 am where they might realistically spot a missing kid in the dark?? It's ridiculous they couldn't wait till 7 am to place that call.

#5 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

That call woke me out of a sound sleep at 1 a.m., and I have a lot of trouble getting back to sleep (and I have a 6 am wake-up).

I was beyond annoyed. I mean, really, how many people are out and about at 1 am where they might realistically spot a missing kid in the dark?? It's ridiculous they couldn't wait till 7 am to place that call.

I don't have trouble falling back to sleep, but my husband does. Did I miss much more info? We feel the same about getting the call at that hour, unless someone is armed and dangerous in our neighborhood.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#6 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

As best I recall, he was wearing a baseball cap, light-skinned black person, and had some kind of bike or scooter.

My recall is less than perfect at that hour. ;-)

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

As best I recall, he was wearing a baseball cap, light-skinned black person, and had some kind of bike or scooter.

My recall is less than perfect at that hour. ;-)

Do you know if the call was generated by Nixle? I don't recall if the message indicated who sent it out. But someone needs feedback about what time of day non-emergency calls go out.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#8 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Looks like this is separate from Nixle:

http://www.folsom.ca...lert_system.asp

#9 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

Looks like this is separate from Nixle:

http://www.folsom.ca...lert_system.asp

That's probably it. I'll email the PD about using better judgment regarding what constitutes a middle-of-the-night emergency.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#10 jtroiano

jtroiano

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:59 PM

I have a voip phone and anonymous call rejection and I did not get a call like this.  I just signed up for the alert system for both my home and cell numbers.  I do have a concern about getting calls in the middle of the night for anything less than a major event.  If anyone calls the Folsom PD about this issue, please post a response.  I would be interested in knowing if this was generated by them or not.

#11 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

I'm not unsympathetic to the parents-- it is an emergency when a 9 year old (or equivalent) goes missing.

But, it is poor judgment to wake up hundreds of thousands of people (the entire county of Sacramento) when realistically 99.9% of the people can't do anything in the middle of the night, in the dark. It's not like we're all going to get up, dress, and go hunting around outside.

The cost-benefit analysis is way off.

#12 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

That's probably it. I'll email the PD about using better judgment regarding what constitutes a middle-of-the-night emergency.

Seriously? If that were your son, You would be grateful to all the people who would not be put-out to get their rear out of bed and check their flower beds to look for a scared, exhausted, mentally incapacitated kid freezing and hungry. A call like this means the kid really is in danger. Yeah, I want to know if people in my community need this little bit help to possibly mean the difference between survival or death of a loved one.

#13 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

I don't know if you read the Bee, Supermom, but I can tell you that a vulnerable person goes missing at least once a week in Sac County (whether a kid, a person with dementia, or whatever). In fact, right now there is another missing kid in this area-- an emotionally-troubled young teen who escaped from a group home in Placerville, I believe.

So, no. We should not all be woken up in the middle of the night every time this happens. At 7 am--yes. Then I can keep my eyes open while I drive to work.

#14 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

I don't know if you read the Bee, Supermom, but I can tell you that a vulnerable person goes missing at least once a week in Sac County (whether a kid, a person with dementia, or whatever). In fact, right now there is another missing kid in this area-- an emotionally-troubled young teen who escaped from a group home in Placerville, I believe.

So, no. We should not all be woken up in the middle of the night every time this happens. At 7 am--yes. Then I can keep my eyes open while I drive to work.

there is a difference between emotionally vulnerable vs mentally incapacitated of have health risks. Sadly, even stating that someone is emotionally vulnerable is not worth your time to check your yard is just- emotionally retarded on the person who thinks like that. Really, sometimes one has to understand that stuff happens. Parents and group homes and whatever can't control every kid all the time. How does it hurt to be a little more aware of your house, garage, the areas in your yard where someone could lie down and take a nap- every night? How many people would be protected from serious harm when they are a threat to themselves if the sound minded were just a bit more compassionate?

#15 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Supermom, I'm not sure you're getting what some of us have an issue with.

*Nobody* is complaining about using phone messages to alert us about missing kids, dementia residents, and the like.

What we are objecting to is waking us up at 1:00 in the morning to do this.

If you want to be woken up once a week or more to hear about the latest missing person, I guess that's fine, but I do not wish to, nor do I plan to set out into the dark, lonely streets at that hour to look for someone. Tell me at 7 am, and there is a higher chance that (1) I will be capable of absorbing and remembering the info and (2) I will be heading outside and can keep my eyes open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users