11 replies to this topic

#1 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

While I have lived in Folsom for quite awhile, we recently purchased a home in this neighborhood nearly eight months ago. What I have noticed is that commuters from what appears to be outside of this community use the central district, specifically the streets Whales, Montrose and Fargo as their personal expressway.

Not sure how many people that live in this community notice this, but my wife and I are woken up every morning by at least 2-3 Speeding Harley Davidson Motorcycles which sound like they have straight-pipes (Basically no mufflers)When the riders pass our older home at what seems like full throttle at 5:15-5:30 AM every wall shakes and rattles and not only does it wake up my wife and I but our 1 year old and 3.5 year old :*%*(*^:

I have actually sat out and waited for the inconsiderate riders to pass by and almost all of them are wearing a prison guards uniform i.e. (dark green pants) I'm usually not one to complain about this sort of thing to the point I feel a need to write about it on the internet, but the repetition is driving me insane, basically it doesn't stop until it's too cold outside to ride a motorcycle or raining.

Trying to figure out if there is something the city can do? I have seen in some neighborhoods a huge yellow sign reminding motorist that they are in a residential neighborhood. Also if Folsom PD would patrol our area more they would have a field day. Also I have thought about contacting the prison but I doubt they would give a mole-hill of beans worth in China what we think about the noise. I don’t own a radar gun yet, but it is not uncommon to see cars speed up and down our street at 60+ mph in a 25 zone, there is absolutely no reason to drive a car, motorcycle etc.. through a neighborhod at those speeds.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

http://www.weservicepools.com/

#2 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

While I have lived in Folsom for quite awhile, we recently purchased a home in this neighborhood nearly eight months ago. What I have noticed is that commuters from what appears to be outside of this community use the central district, specifically the streets Whales, Montrose and Fargo as their personal expressway.

Not sure how many people that live in this community notice this, but my wife and I are woken up every morning by at least 2-3 Speeding Harley Davidson Motorcycles which sound like they have straight-pipes (Basically no mufflers)When the riders pass our older home at what seems like full throttle at 5:15-5:30 AM every wall shakes and rattles and not only does it wake up my wife and I but our 1 year old and 3.5 year old :*%*(*^:

I have actually sat out and waited for the inconsiderate riders to pass by and almost all of them are wearing a prison guards uniform i.e. (dark green pants) I'm usually not one to complain about this sort of thing to the point I feel a need to write about it on the internet, but the repetition is driving me insane, basically it doesn't stop until it's too cold outside to ride a motorcycle or raining.

Trying to figure out if there is something the city can do? I have seen in some neighborhoods a huge yellow sign reminding motorist that they are in a residential neighborhood. Also if Folsom PD would patrol our area more they would have a field day. Also I have thought about contacting the prison but I doubt they would give a mole-hill of beans worth in China what we think about the noise. I don’t own a radar gun yet, but it is not uncommon to see cars speed up and down our street at 60+ mph in a 25 zone, there is absolutely no reason to drive a car, motorcycle etc.. through a neighborhod at those speeds.

There are a lot of prison guards that ride Harleys. To get that noise level you mentioned they have to purposely open the throttle to get those pipes to scream, in other words they're being total a-holes to everyone in your neighborhood for doing that and making such loud noises at that early hour.

They need to be back handed upside the head and told to knock that crap off. Only immature idiots ride like that.

Speeding thru a neighborhood is asinine. Maybe you guys can have speed bumps put in? Or at the least put up a cardboard cut out like this....

Posted Image

#3 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

Speed bumps might slow cars down, but then I would imagine people would peel rubber on them. I think motorcycles would just ride through the cut- outs on the bumps.

Perhaps they could setup one of those trailers that show your speed? Or an unmanned cruiser parked on the street?

Just for the record I'm not against motorcycles, just when they become intentionally annoying. I'm not picking on just the bikes, there are a few trucks with straight pipes that seem like they ate purposely trying to be a nusiance.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

#4 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

Speed bumps might slow cars down, but then I would imagine people would peel rubber on them. I think motorcycles would just ride through the cut- outs on the bumps.

Perhaps they could setup one of those trailers that show your speed? Or an unmanned cruiser parked on the street?

Just for the record I'm not against motorcycles, just when they become intentionally annoying. I'm not picking on just the bikes, there are a few trucks with straight pipes that seem like they ate purposely trying to be a nusiance.

Those motorcycles can be ridden quietly, it all depends on the riders and how much of a jerk or not they are.

#5 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

I'm not picking on just the bikes, there are a few trucks with straight pipes that seem like they ate purposely trying to be a nusiance.

And it seems like they're all lifted diesel Dodges. Does the truck make the jerk or does the jerk make the truck?

Those motorcycles can be ridden quietly, it all depends on the riders and how much of a jerk or not they are.

This is nonsense. The bikes came with a barely adequate muffler. They change them out for the express purpose of being disruptive hooligans. Any other arguments (loud pipes save lives, 0.7% more horespower) are merely excuses, and are drowned out by the noise. I too used to have an exhaust that would set off car alarms; it's a phase I outgrew. (Someone should now post the South Park episode from a few years ago...)
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#6 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

Speed activated spike strips with a large sign stating

"EXCEEDING THE SPEED LIMIT WILL RESULT IN SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE"
"And the Wind cries Mary"

#7 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

There was a guy in the Natoma Station threads, if I recall. He would kick a ball out into the street when speeding cars approached. Might have to adapt his technique if we can't figure out a better solution.
"Wow! What a Ride!"

#8 Homer

Homer

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

I've had the same issue with speeding commuter traffic on the street i live on. When i contacted the city about speed humps being instaled they said that they won't allow them for safety reasons. What they did offedr to do is assign an officer to post-up on the street for 20 minutes. Contacting the prison probally won't do much, However if a couple of the inconsiderate officers got ticketed word would get around pretty quick.

#9 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yep, speed bumps decrease emergency response times and residents don't like them because there is increased noise with the accelerating after slowing down/braking for the bumps themselves.

#10 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm friends with the assistant warden...if you'd like to submit a formal complaint or inquiry, I can forward it on to him.

#11 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Caligirlz - That would be great, any help greatly appreciated.
"Wow! What a Ride!"

#12 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

I'm a fan of the traffic calming measures on Natoma Station Dr.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users