33 replies to this topic

#16 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the info on the "Smurf House". We have wondered about it since we came to Folsom 10 years ago! When we have people from out-of-town visiting, we always drive by to show it to them. Very odd.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#17 SpiritualSisters4Life

SpiritualSisters4Life

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:We are sisters who stick together and are bound by blood. Friends for life and family for eternity. That's all that needs to be said.

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:52 AM

My sister and I have lived in Folsom for about five going on six years now. We've heard from quite a few people we know who have lived here in Folsom since the early fifties, that in this particular home there was a man who lived there in the mid to late sixties who had a young daughter that he mistreated. It was said that he kept her in the attic, you know that part that has that window that over looks most of the town. Anyway, we were told that he kept her up there where she eventually died, and after she died he started kidnapping babies, and he would burn them and eventually store them up in that attic. Does anyone know if that is true or if it's just a made up story? All I know is, everytime I go past that home, I get the creeps so there has to be a reason why I get that feeling.
IPB Image

#18 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(SpiritualSisters4Life @ Dec 21 2005, 05:52 AM) View Post

My sister and I have lived in Folsom for about five going on six years now. We've heard from quite a few people we know who have lived here in Folsom since the early fifties, that in this particular home there was a man who lived there in the mid to late sixties who had a young daughter that he mistreated. It was said that he kept her in the attic, you know that part that has that window that over looks most of the town. Anyway, we were told that he kept her up there where she eventually died, and after she died he started kidnapping babies, and he would burn them and eventually store them up in that attic. Does anyone know if that is true or if it's just a made up story? All I know is, everytime I go past that home, I get the creeps so there has to be a reason why I get that feeling.

Okay, this thread is talking about two different homes. The first one is the one on Coloma (sometimes called the Smurf house) It is actually called Gingerwood and is inhabited by Folsom's Library Lady, Jobekka Trotta and her artist husband. Here's more info on that house:

http://www.gingerwoo...ablishment.html

The second home asked about in this link is the Cohn house on the corner of Scott and Sutter which was renovated over the last decade by former Folsom Mayor Glenn Fait. My family has been here since the 1920s and the story you heard is untrue. No evidence of mistreatment of a family member, murders, burned, kidnapped babies. It's all urban legend (or in this case rural legend). Not true.

#19 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:29 PM

But it does have that look to it that suggests that horrific things just might have occurred there.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#20 maestro

maestro

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Terry @ Dec 21 2005, 10:22 PM) View Post

The second home asked about in this link is the Cohn house on the corner of Scott and Sutter which was renovated over the last decade by former Folsom Mayor Glenn Fait. My family has been here since the 1920s and the story you heard is untrue. No evidence of mistreatment of a family member, murders, burned, kidnapped babies. It's all urban legend (or in this case rural legend). Not true.

Mystery novels were written about that house -- the huge Victorian on Sutter St..
Without going to my library, I can't remember the author's name, but I have a great mystery novel about the house and a body found in the basement.

The author was a friend of Eleanor Fait.

#21 SpiritualSisters4Life

SpiritualSisters4Life

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:We are sisters who stick together and are bound by blood. Friends for life and family for eternity. That's all that needs to be said.

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE(Terry @ Dec 21 2005, 10:22 PM) View Post

Okay, this thread is talking about two different homes. The first one is the one on Coloma (sometimes called the Smurf house) It is actually called Gingerwood and is inhabited by Folsom's Library Lady, Jobekka Trotta and her artist husband. Here's more info on that house:

http://www.gingerwoo...ablishment.html

I will check it out for myself because my ancestors go back farther than the 1920's. And I know my family wouldn't lie to me. Thanks for your opinion though. I'll check out the newspaper clippings for myself. It was in the Folsom Tribune - [I'm pretty sure that's the one.] They eventually closed down so that's why the articles are hard to find.
IPB Image

#22 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE(SpiritualSisters4Life @ Jan 4 2006, 03:52 AM) View Post

I will check it out for myself because my ancestors go back farther than the 1920's. And I know my family wouldn't lie to me. Thanks for your opinion though. I'll check out the newspaper clippings for myself. It was in the Folsom Tribune - [I'm pretty sure that's the one.] They eventually closed down so that's why the articles are hard to find.

sorry, that is another one of the ridiculous tales people have made up about Folsom's past. The Cohn house has no dark history. It was built by the Cohn family, merchants on Sutter Street. Nothing untoward ever happened in that house. I don't know why people insist on making up such stories, but its an insult to the people who actually lived there.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#23 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jan 4 2006, 11:24 AM) View Post

sorry, that is another one of the ridiculous tales people have made up about Folsom's past. The Cohn house has no dark history. It was built by the Cohn family, merchants on Sutter Street. Nothing untoward ever happened in that house. I don't know why people insist on making up such stories, but its an insult to the people who actually lived there.

Probably because it's spooky looking and haunted houses are cool. Hence, the rumors.

#24 SpiritualSisters4Life

SpiritualSisters4Life

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:55 PM

It's nothing to get upset over. I would rather do my own research.
IPB Image

#25 Gwyneth

Gwyneth

Netizen

• Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jan 4 2006, 12:24 PM) View Post

I don't know why people insist on making up such stories ...

Because people like to be scared and titillated by spooky stories, especially kids. I think all kids, and all towns, have such houses or other buildings in their history. I remember, when I was in elementary school, that kids spread rumors about witches living in certain houses, houses that were haunted, houses where horrific crimes were supposed to have occured, so of course we all had to dare eachother to walk - or run - by and get those oh so exciting chills.

I know the people who live in the house at the corner of Figueroa and Coloma, and they are quite lovely. I've also met the people living in the big Victorian with the widow's watch, and they seem very gracious.

#26 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

I like the Gingerbread house, it's unique. It's not the same cookie-cutter house you see everwhere (and, yes, I live in one of those cookie-cutter homes).

#27 newsblaze

newsblaze

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:News, computers, the garden, HFRA, bagpipes, Folsom.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:35 AM

Glen once said they were told before they bought it that it was unrestorable - he said he may yet prove them right! But they are doing a great job and there have been a lot of improvements. They put a huge effort into the garden, as you see. Now they have something beautiful to look out at every day and the neighbors and visitors have something beutiful to look at too. - I've been walking past it every day for 5 years and it looks great.

Alan Gray
Read Folsom news at
http://folsomlocalnews.com
Support Our Troops, Read Their Stories
at http://newsblaze.com

#28 Beargrasswoman

Beargrasswoman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

Oh how intersting to read all of the comments on our beloved GINGERWOOD HOUSE in the historic district of Folsom.
We didn't know about this forum until friends from England perusing the internet were delighted to see our home mentioned and called us on SKYPE to tell us to click on to the informative page and see for ourselves.

To clear any misconceptions first and foremost I wish that we could have had funding for our ongoing architectural art inspired building, however I have to smile a little when I think of that. Not one cent from any grant or government tax generated funding ever crossed our hands or in our pocketbook. My husband who is a gifted artist and who graces spaces in Crocker Museum, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Oakland Museum has devotedly dedicated a labor of love to each hand carved curved shingle and each nail driven to secure its place in time.

We have been given attention by those who have loved the inspiring gardens and old european turrets and carrying their enthusiasm in writing about Gingerwood House in: books, magazines, newspapers, television and endless curious visitors who catch us in the gardens and stay to exchange their compliments.

What is Gingerwood House? It is the pleasant, peaceful place wherein art, music, poetry and life abound, whose very exhistence serves to uplift, inspire and entreat one to live beyond the "box" and enjoy the soverignty of expression and choice.

#29 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

Oh how intersting to read all of the comments on our beloved GINGERWOOD HOUSE in the historic district of Folsom.
We didn't know about this forum until friends from England perusing the internet were delighted to see our home mentioned and called us on SKYPE to tell us to click on to the informative page and see for ourselves.

To clear any misconceptions first and foremost I wish that we could have had funding for our ongoing architectural art inspired building, however I have to smile a little when I think of that. Not one cent from any grant or government tax generated funding ever crossed our hands or in our pocketbook. My husband who is a gifted artist and who graces spaces in Crocker Museum, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Oakland Museum has devotedly dedicated a labor of love to each hand carved curved shingle and each nail driven to secure its place in time.

We have been given attention by those who have loved the inspiring gardens and old european turrets and carrying their enthusiasm in writing about Gingerwood House in: books, magazines, newspapers, television and endless curious visitors who catch us in the gardens and stay to exchange their compliments.

What is Gingerwood House? It is the pleasant, peaceful place wherein art, music, poetry and life abound, whose very exhistence serves to uplift, inspire and entreat one to live beyond the "box" and enjoy the soverignty of expression and choice.

I think your place is wonderful. I enjoyed watching the brick walkway go in. So many masonry cuts to create that! Love the landscaping and rock on the outside.

#30 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:54 AM

What animal is suspended from the ceiling? (Gingerwood Kitchen)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users