43 replies to this topic

#31 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:59 AM

another death yesterday in North Carolina.  A 7-year-old attacked their previously never hostile family pit.  older brother was also attacked trying to get the dog to let go of the little brother.  little brother died of a broken neck.  older brother in hospital now.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#32 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

I don't know what to think. My brother had a pit bull mix years ago. She was a scaredy-dog, always wanting to be close and touching a select few (e.g., sitting on our feet, back pressed up against our legs). She loved for us to rub her belly -- absolute bliss for her. If the doorbell rang or there was thunder and lightening, she'd hide and shake. Didn't seem like she'd hurt a fly -- she was more scared of the flies!

All seemed to be well until my brother and his wife had their first baby. Then the dog became aggressive and they had to put her down.

Who knows what her background was before my brother rescued her. Obviously, the love, affection, and training she got after that time was not enough to overcome her time as a puppy or her genes, whichever ended up producing the aggression later on. :(

#33 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

Like I said before these dogs are highly bi-polar.  Regardless of how hard an owner tries to convince anyone of how nice/loving their pit bull is and would NEVER attack, DONT believe it. 

#34 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:59 PM

Awful. :( http://wncn.com/2016...it-bull-attack/

Previous articles didn't describe the circumstances of the attack. Four children were attacked by a group of dogs; the dogs were not owned by the boys' family.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#35 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:02 PM

Like I said before these dogs are highly bi-polar.  Regardless of how hard an owner tries to convince anyone of how nice/loving their pit bull is and would NEVER attack, DONT believe it. 

It seems about time to start your own separate anti-Pit Bull Forum right?

#36 kfergo

kfergo

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

another death yesterday in North Carolina.  A 7-year-old attacked their previously never hostile family pit.  older brother was also attacked trying to get the dog to let go of the little brother.  little brother died of a broken neck.  older brother in hospital now.

A 7 year-old should be taught not to attack any dog. The dog was defending itself. 

#37 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

A 7 year-old should be taught not to attack any dog. The dog was defending itself.

I believe this is a misunderstanding. The kid did not attack the dog; the dog attacked the kid.

The article says 3 dogs attacked a group of children. While some of the kids escaped by climbing up on cars and such, unfortunately, the one who died was unable to get away.

#38 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

I believe this is a misunderstanding. The kid did not attack the dog; the dog attacked the kid.

This happens often on this forum.

Please people, proofread your post. Then, after you post it, proofread it again. If there is an error, just use the *edit* function...it's a piece of cake and takes only a few seconds.

I am only mentioning this as a friendly reminder.

Thank you.

#39 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:01 PM

A 7-year-old attacked their previously never hostile family pit.

Wow. I really misread this the first time! So, the 7-year old child attacked the dog and we're appalled that the "previously never hostile" dog fought back? I wonder if it was the child's training or if it was the child's breed/race that caused the child to attack. :wacko:

#40 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:04 PM

Wow. I really misread this the first time! So, the 7-year old child attacked the dog and we're appalled that the "previously never hostile" dog fought back? I wonder if it was the child's training or if it was the child's breed/race that caused the child to attack.

Never mind. Just realized your response was tongue-in-cheek.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#41 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

my mistake.  a 7-year-old WAS attacked by their previously never aggressive pitfall.  I left out the word "was."  The kid didn't attack the dog, the dog attacked the kid, then his older brother had to fight off the dog.  the younger boy died.  

mea culpa

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#42 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

I got what you meant 4th Gen.  Wasn't too hard to figure out your message. 

#43 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

I got what you meant 4th Gen.  Wasn't too hard to figure out your message.

Me too! It did take me a minute, though.

In any event, it's sad this keeps happening. Lots of irresponsible dog breeders and owners out there.

#44 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

Maybe this is an out-of-the-box view, but owners of dogs who cause injury or death should be prosecuted as if they did it with a gun.  These dogs are more dangerous than guns, because they actually DO have a mind of their own.  If this was made into legislation, I suspect many dog owners would get much more "responsible" with their animals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users