Mystery Black Box Makes It Easy For Thieves To Get Into Your Car

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

A friend of mine received a neighborhood watch brochure that is distributed in her neighborhood with the following information: 

NEW TECHNIQUE TO BREAK INTO YOUR CAR. When using your key fob to lock your car it sends security code info through airwaves. Thieves can now capture those codes through the airways and unlock your car. Manually lock your car if you can. This prevents them from capturing your code.

I did some searching on the internet, and this is what I found that seems to be related. I don't know if the info in her flyer is correct. 

http://time.com/1208...-into-your-car/

Another source: I'm not a fan of infowars website, but they have the best summary and videos on this subject. http://www.infowars....what-is-inside/

All over America, criminals are using improvised electronic devices to electronically unlock vehicles and steal whatever they find inside.  These “mystery gadgets” reportedly recreate the same signals that the key fobs that so many of us carry around send out. 

As you will see below, footage is popping up nationwide of thieves using these “mystery gadgets” to remotely unlock car doors and disable alarm systems.

When reports of this sort of crime first came out, even car manufacturers were totally stumped.  Nobody could figure out how this was happening, and CNN startled a lot of people when they started reporting on this. 

FYI.....just curious if anyone else has heard of this.

#2 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!

Honestly - this sounds like a lot of work.  I've watched a locksmith break into my car in seconds without any electronics.  I'd worry first about the guy with the crowbar and next about the guy with the jimmy.

Anyhow don't cars use rolling codes like garage door openers?

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#3 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

From what I've seen online, it's no work at all. Just press the button on the device, and the locks open. My friend is very level headed and not a panicky person. I just wanted to know if anyone else has heard about it, vs make fun of it. 

Anyhow don't cars use rolling codes like garage door openers? IDK. Hopefully, someone else will know the answer. 

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!

Caligirlz didn't panic nor tell anyone else to panic. She shared information, based on information handed out by a NW program, and asked if anyone else heard of it.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

I believe the newer keyless entries do use rolling codes.  Car manufacturers are making it so you have to be closer to the car to lock it using the key fob.  

I don't know if stealing codes is actually happening, but perhaps they have devices now that can jam the codes.  Who knows?  It seems there's always someone out there finding a way to defeat new technology.  A thief could watch someone park and walk away doing the over-the-shoulder key fob deal to lock the car.  The person thinks the vehicle has locked because they pushed the button, but, in fact, the locks didn't engage, leaving the car open to theft of items inside.  If that's the case, the advice in caligirlz original post to manually lock the vehicle would be good advice; either that or be sure you are close enough so you can hear the locks have actually activated.

#6 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:21 AM

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!

Hope your knee is ok after that reaction

Svzr2FS.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users