9 replies to this topic

#1 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

I was interested in the news story over the last couple of days regarding the "large" news anchor in Wisconsin. Specifically I found it interesting that her defense was, in part, that the emailer was a bully. A jerk? Yes. A bully? No. A bully is "blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people." I believe this was a single email so the bully label doesn't fit.

News anchor takes on 'fat'-shaming email

#2 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

I was interested in the news story over the last couple of days regarding the "large" news anchor in Wisconsin. Specifically I found it interesting that her defense was, in part, that the emailer was a bully. A jerk? Yes. A bully? No. A bully is "blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people." I believe this was a single email so the bully label doesn't fit.

You're right, it doesn't fit. But a heavy news anchor who gets call fat can say she was bullied and get on Good Morning America.

#3 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

yeah, I don't think its bullying either. it's part of this huge trend spawned by the internet where we think we are entitled to tell other people in public positions our opinion about themselves.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#4 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

the emailer was probably some tweaker looking skeletal hipster with lots of time on his hands having no job living alone or at home with his parents

#5 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

According to the link below, the letter writer is a very fit personal injury attorney.

http://blogs.citypag...obese_photo.php
"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#6 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

It wasn't one email; there was a string of emails that went back and forth.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#7 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

It wasn't one email; there was a string of emails that went back and forth.

I didn't hear that. So was there a conversation going on about a healthy lifestyle?

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

I didn't hear that. So was there a conversation going on about a healthy lifestyle?

I don't know the exact nature of the emails. I caught part of an interview with the anchor and it sounded like she was calling him out on the nature of his emails and he wouldn't let up.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#9 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

Much ado about nothing. She should have noted he was a jerk and moved on. Engaging him only empowers him...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#10 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Maybe she's looking for the sympathy payout like the lady on the school bus received?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users