8 replies to this topic

#1 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

My parents and sister are in town and the prison gift shop came up as an interest. Googling quickly on my phone I couldn't find any hours. Does anyone know their hours or anything? Thx

#2 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

I have the feeling that the gift shop closed years ago, but I think the museum is still open (but don't quote me on either). When we went the first time, we were turned away because my husbands clothes (blue jeans and a Tshirt) looked too much like prisoner garb.

http://www.folsomprisonmuseum.org/

That website doesn't look very up to date, but you could give them a call.

#3 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

I also vaguely recall that the gift shop closed a few years back.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#4 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

We were there about a year ago and they were selling some items but not sure how much they had.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#5 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

They have a few things like t-shirts and such in the history museum... the "prison gift shop" was closed a few years ago - it was run by low-security prisoners selling things like jewelry and such. They had problems with smuggling in/out of the prison through the gift shop so it was closed.

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

the prison gift store was GREAT back in the 1970s and 1980s. you could buy all these fun wood toys and hand-tooled leather items the prisoners made at great prices. they had things like toys of cons wearing striped uniforms and western purses and belts. they also had some pretty hideous paintings on velvet. and it was a trip, because the trustees ran the place (trustees are prisoners they trust) and sold you things in their denim blues. ah, the good old days.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 UncleVinny

UncleVinny

"Can't we all just get along?"

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:24 AM

I also vaguely recall that the gift shop closed a few years back.

There used to be a gift shop next to the Post Office there, but they found the inmates were stealing and scamming. (Big surprise.)

Now the gifts are sold in the Museum, which is manned by volunteers.

Too bad . . . I liked the old shop, as it used to sell artwork and crafts from the inmates, but now all you can buy is commercial items.
"In this world of trouble and strife, bring some peace to someone's life"

#8 fromhnl

fromhnl

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

[quote name='4thgenFolsomite' timestamp='1302561124' post='414915']
the trustees ran the place (trustees are prisoners they trust)

NEGATIVE. Just to clarify, trustees in jail or prison are inmates aka prisoners. Prisoners/inmates are never "trusted." They are usually classified trustee status based on a variety of factors such as
their behavior while incarcerated, crimes committed, street affiliations, need for pc or not, level of security status in prison or jail and so on. Back in the day in linear designed jails and prisons, trustees were given trustee status because they were the tank boss and there wasn't anyone else brave enough to challenge or compete for the special benefits of being a trustee.

#9 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

hard to say. the guards told me they were called trustees because they were low risk (therefore more trusted that the others). but that was 30 years ago. what do I know. nothin', I tell ya, nothin'!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users