79 replies to this topic

#76 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE (JBailey @ Apr 17 2009, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So who has the best huevos rancheros? I haven't found a great one yet (but then I am not frequently eating breakfast when I go out)... I'm looking for corn tortillas with eggs, cheese, fresh pico, fresh salsa (hot), and non-bland sauce with beans and potatoes instead of rice (diced or chopped with green chilis, spices and onions would be perfect).
Anywhere get me close?

Try Mary's Gold Miner Cafe

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#77 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Ichibon @ Apr 16 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a place on Greenback where I actually saw a mouse/rat run from the kitchen towards the bathrooms. So I'm obsessive about cleanliness.

Then you're going to have a hard time finding good Mexican food.

As for Black Angus & taste, I don't know what you had there that was so awful, I just loved the zucchini appetizer. I can not afford Ruth's Chris every night.

Me neither. But I'd rather buy and grill my own steak than go to Black Angus.

#78 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

I think La Fiesta is really the only "true" mexican food place in Folsom. All the others arent authentic.

I guess everyone has their own vision of what authentic is though.

#79 rockcrawler

rockcrawler

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (nlove4ever @ Apr 22 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think La Fiesta is really the only "true" mexican food place in Folsom. All the others arent authentic.

I guess everyone has their own vision of what authentic is though.

I agree. To me, a clue to authenticity is the makeup of the patrons. When I go, often a substantial percentage of the customers are latino. I don't find this in most other mexican restaurants in Folsom.

#80 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

Unless a person has been down to Mexico, they can not know what authentic Mexican food is. I know I don't.
I only know what I like.

In Texas, you can see signs which say, "NON-ANGLOIZED MEXICAN FOOD".

I know that word, "Angloized" probably doesn't exist, and I am probably not spelling it as they did.
But you get the idea.

Also, as with the Chinese, there are different parts of Mexico which cook their food very differently. I was told by an Asian lady that the "REAL" Chinese food could only be found in San Francisco. I've had the Chinese food there and can say, she was right about it being better.

AS for good, and healthy Mexican food, my husband and I go to El Rincon, in Folsom. They have one of the best salsa's I've ever tasted.
And their chips have a hint of lemon, and are very fresh, which makes them very, very good.

The owner is from Mexico and I'm sure he knows about authentic food. But he also knows Americans don't like lard and uses Canola oil in all his foods.

He is there almost all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users