76 replies to this topic

#1 ScionBox

ScionBox

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Hi all... longtime lurker, first time poster! I have been a resident of Folsom since 1981.

Anyway, I'll get to my point. I have noticed that the business in Bel Air and the Raley's stores in Folsom (even in greater Sacramento) looks especially slow lately. I am curious to see what their recent financial numbers look like, especially in today's economy.

The competition in the grocery industry here is fierce.... and I am wondering how much longer Raley's can hang on without getting bought out.... or going away altogether. Their prices lately are way too high... and I find myself driving to WinCo or Walmart instead.

As a former employee of Raley's (many moons ago biggrin.gif ) I would hate to see this local institution end up in the hands of Kroger or some other giant mega corporation, such as what is happening with Long's Drugs. But as long as the prices stay high & their product selection dwindles, I have to shop elsewhere.

I would love to hear your predictions on Raley's future.

Edited by ScionBox, 21 March 2009 - 09:51 PM.

#2 california girl

california girl

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (ScionBox @ Mar 21 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all... longtime lurker, first time poster! I have been a resident of Folsom since 1981.

Anyway, I'll get to my point. I have noticed that the business in Bel Air and the Raley's stores in Folsom (even in greater Sacramento) looks especially slow lately. I am curious to see what their recent financial numbers look like, especially in today's economy.

The competition in the grocery industry here is fierce.... and I am wondering how much longer Raley's can hang on without getting bought out.... or going away altogether. Their prices lately are way too high... and I find myself driving to WinCo or Walmart instead.

As a former employee of Raley's (many moons ago biggrin.gif ) I would hate to see this local institution end up in the hands of Kroger or some other giant mega corporation, such as what is happening with Long's Drugs. But as long as the prices stay high & their product selection dwindles, I have to shop elsewhere.

I have heard rumors in the industry that they are up for sale.
California Girl

#3 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (california girl @ Mar 22 2009, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have heard rumors in the industry that they are up for sale.

According to the Telegraph's Best of Folsom (as opposed to Myfolsom's best of), Raley's Belair was voted number one. I hope they don't get bought, actually I don't care, if who ever buys them doesn't change the name. I'm getting sick & tired of our grocery stores always changing names. I grew up in the bay area near a Lucky's. It was Luckys until 10 or so years ago.

I've been in the Folsom Area since 1984, The old Lucky's turned into something non-grocery, but now is Grocery Outlet. The new Lucky's was Lucky's for quite awhile, but then during some stupid acquisition, but because some fair trade law not wanting to allow monopolies, Lucky's became Albertson's, but the Albertsons became Ralphs. Why Albertsons couldn't remain albertsons and Luckys turn into Ralph's is beyond me.
Anyway, what was the New lucky's is now a SaveMart. And what was Ralph's is dead, but supposedly will become a Fresh & Easy someday. So far Raley's has always been Raley's, I would like it to stay that way.
I would rather be Backpacking

#4 mynddok

mynddok

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

I too have almost entirely stopped patronizing Raleys / BelAir. I used to shop at one of those stores exclusively. I was raised in the College Greens area and grew up with the Raley's on Folsom Blvd between Howe and Watt. That is the only place my parents shopped and by default the only place that I shopped. I always noticed their prices were getting higher and higher but it was a pound and a half of roast beef that did it for me. One time, about two years ago I went to get lunch meat, cheese and bread for the week. For 1 1/2 pounds of roast beef, one pound of cheddar cheese and one loaf of bread it was almost $30. Since then, I will only go there to mail packages, (much more convenient than the p.o.) cash my recycling voucher, or if they have some ridiculous deal. Other than that, it is Winco.

QUOTE (ScionBox @ Mar 21 2009, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#5 quilt-n-golf gal

quilt-n-golf gal

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

Have been seeing more of their "$20 off purchase of $100 purchase" coupons in the Sacramento Bee...another one in todays paper...must be trying to get more people in their doors....Only bummer about the coupon is that it is valid for only 3 days...if I don't have a big shopping trip planned, will go Belair/Raleys & look for someone will a full cart & give them the coupon.....Priceless reactions of happiness!!!!!

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (mynddok @ Mar 22 2009, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too have almost entirely stopped patronizing Raleys / BelAir. I used to shop at one of those stores exclusively. I was raised in the College Greens area and grew up with the Raley's on Folsom Blvd between Howe and Watt. That is the only place my parents shopped and by default the only place that I shopped. I always noticed their prices were getting higher and higher but it was a pound and a half of roast beef that did it for me. One time, about two years ago I went to get lunch meat, cheese and bread for the week. For 1 1/2 pounds of roast beef, one pound of cheddar cheese and one loaf of bread it was almost $30. Since then, I will only go there to mail packages, (much more convenient than the p.o.) cash my recycling voucher, or if they have some ridiculous deal. Other than that, it is Winco.

I also shop mostly at Winco because they are cheaper, but as I live closer to the new Raley's, there are times I go their to get a couple things. Two gallons of milk is always a decent price and the other week they had some great sales on meat.
I would rather be Backpacking

#7 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Mar 22 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also shop mostly at Winco because they are cheaper, but as I live closer to the new Raley's, there are times I go their to get a couple things. Two gallons of milk is always a decent price and the other week they had some great sales on meat.

Am kinda like you too - almost always shop at WINCO (or COSTCO) and make trips to Raley's on emergencies....

I have heard rumors about Bel Air (in Broadstone) closing down soon due to pathetically low patronage...

#8 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (mynddok @ Mar 22 2009, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just FYI: If everyone does as you do, there won't be any Raley's to mail your package...

#9 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

Winco is closer to my home and less expensive. About the only thing they don't seem to do as well on is the premium groceries: organic and health food stuff. I will still go to Raley's occasionally since the vibe at Winco is kind of odd, and sometimes I want a break from it.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#10 mynddok

mynddok

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

And FYI - I couldn't care less. No more Raley's / BelAir is ok with me. They screwed themselves. As I said, I was a loyal customer pretty much since birth. Their prices and ideas of what people are looking to buy are so out of whack and have been for a long time. If I wanted products that were that "gourmet" I would go to Corti Bros.

I have very little sympathy for companies that have failed to adjust to our economic climate.
QUOTE (sunnyCA @ Mar 22 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just FYI: If everyone does as you do, there won't be any Raley's to mail your package...

#11 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

We go to winco for the basics.... but the fruit/veggies are waaaaaay better at raleys/belair !!

Same as the meat.... way better almost anywhere but winco.

<3

#12 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

I do almost all of my shopping at TJ's. I only buy items at Bel Air/Raleys that are not available at TJ's. The prices at Raley's are just too high.

#13 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (mynddok @ Mar 22 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And FYI - I couldn't care less. No more Raley's / BelAir is ok with me. They screwed themselves. As I said, I was a loyal customer pretty much since birth. Their prices and ideas of what people are looking to buy are so out of whack and have been for a long time. If I wanted products that were that "gourmet" I would go to Corti Bros.

I have very little sympathy for companies that have failed to adjust to our economic climate.

That is certainly your right to not care...I was just pointing out that you (and lots of others in our community) might miss some of the perks that come with a store like Raleys. You certainly can wait in line at the post office after Winco, though, if that works for you. Personally, I'd rather not regularly make the trek across town to Corti Brothers and then also go load and bag my own groceries at Winco and then deal with the lovely folks at the post office, but that's just me. To each their own...

#14 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

Aside from Costco, for food, I shop almost exclusively at Raley's. In general, I think highly of the business. Are they perfect? No. But what I like about them overwhelmingly offsets the things I don't like. Among them, they hire friendly, courteous, helpful people and I'd rather keep them employed over stores that employ anything less. Does the higher quality of the people and maybe the food cost a bit more? Perhaps, but I'm not at this point cost sensitive enough to change.

That being said, Nugget seems to be fairly similar and I may become indifferent between Raley's and Nugget. But my initial loyalty will be to Raley's, all else considered equal.

That being said, if we had a Draeger's or Andronico's up here, I'd probably be partial to them.

#15 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (tsukiji @ Mar 22 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...That being said, if we had a Draeger's or Andronico's up here, I'd probably be partial to them.

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users