107 replies to this topic

#1 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:40 PM

The one in the Raley's center is closed permanently. Doesn't seem like there was much notice. Went to return some DVDs and they were packing everything up and moving it out.

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:50 PM

I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. We stopped doing business with them years ago due to horrible customer service and unresponsive management.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Dec 26 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. We stopped doing business with them years ago due to horrible customer service and unresponsive management.

We only recently started renting from them again. Their service seemed to have improved some.

I do notice that Red Box place in Raley's is pretty busy all the time. I guess people are doing more that type of thing or Netflix.

#4 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

This is kinda sad on a personal note since that was the Mr. Video I went to as a kid (at least it was still half tied to its roots, being a video store). Then again since movie rental is very secondary now it doesn't surprise me.

Wild that alot of places I knew back in the day have changed TWO generations! That makes 1992 seem pretty old now (well I guess it is).

#5 dimeracer

dimeracer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (ducky @ Dec 26 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The one in the Raley's center is closed permanently. Doesn't seem like there was much notice. Went to return some DVDs and they were packing everything up and moving it out.

Were there any signs instructing what to do with a DVD that was to be returned?

#6 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (dimeracer @ Dec 26 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Were there any signs instructing what to do with a DVD that was to be returned?

Not that I saw. They have until Tuesday to clear out so there may be people there until then.

I feel bad for the staff that didn't get much notice they were closing.

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (ducky @ Dec 26 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not that I saw. They have until Tuesday to clear out so there may be people there until then.

Or email the corporate office and ask what they would advise.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Dec 26 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or email the corporate office and ask what they would advise.

Or just call the one here 984-2101.

The only other two close Hollywood Videos are on Sunrise Blvd. in Gold River and in Cameron Park.

#9 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

I'm keeping the DVD's until someone calls to tell me where to take them wink.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#10 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (ducky @ Dec 26 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or just call the one here 984-2101.

The only other two close Hollywood Videos are on Sunrise Blvd. in Gold River and in Cameron Park.

There is one in EDH in Town Centre across parking lot from Nugget near Strings, and the Thai place. At least they looked open earlier this week.

On a related note, the Blockbuster off Francisco Blvd in EDH closed up shop a few months ago and finishing up their clearance sale. Guess $1 Redbox, DVD Play rentals in grocery stores and NetFlix is the taking all the video business.

#11 FHSsteve

FHSsteve

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Whatever.

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (eVader @ Dec 26 2009, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is one in EDH in Town Centre across parking lot from Nugget near Strings, and the Thai place. At least they looked open earlier this week.

On a related note, the Blockbuster off Francisco Blvd in EDH closed up shop a few months ago and finishing up their clearance sale. Guess $1 Redbox, DVD Play rentals in grocery stores and NetFlix is the taking all the video business.

Yeah I stopped going there, all I use is Netflix, the Instant streaming is cool, fast and they only charge $9, and since I am always traveling. Beats renting movies. Sad to hear that they are going.

#12 SacDJ

SacDJ

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:55 PM

I'm keeping the DVD's until someone calls to tell me where to take them.

Whatcha got? If I like any, I'll give you a $500.00 Gas & Groceries Rebate Certificate for them. smile.gif

#13 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:22 PM

bummer, I liked going there, but as I only went like 4 times a year, I guess my business wasn't enough to keep 'em open.
I would rather be Backpacking

#14 Suburban Pool Service

Suburban Pool Service

MyFolsom Pool Janitor

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Suburban Pool Service
    P.O. Box 1627
    Folsom, Ca 95763

Supplies /Weekly Service / Satisfaction

on the web at
    weservicepools.com

(916) 792-4836
    email service@suburbanpoolsupply.com

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:34 PM

Honestly last time I went in there it was Mr. Video, I drive by there almost every day and was just thinking the other day while I was waiting at the traffic light that it was still there. I assumed they had packed up years ago and only the sign was still in place. The closing of all the video rental establishments isn't reallyy IMO a sign of the current economic state but more or less the end of an era ala Netflix & the red boxes at the groceryy stores.

-Ryan
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

weservicepools.com

#15 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

^ Yeah, from a business side I guess it's just not profitable anymore (or only in a very limited amount), but in a way it's amazing that an 80s tradition lasted up to 2009/10 (there'll probably be around a few more years before they're all gone).

Pretty cool that you and I both wen tto Mr. Video back in the day too. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users