#31 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:00 PM

These posts are hilarious!

As if anything bought at Winco would compare even remotely to the far superior quality of all the products at Whole Foods.

I challenge you all to buy a steak at Winco then buy one at Whole Foods, cook both to medium rare (don't turn it into rubber) then compare the quality, the texture, the source, etc. They won't even be close.

Whole Foods is where you buy your fresh vegetables and proteins, not preprocessed foods, or cans of re-fried beans.

I challenge you to tell the difference between an egg over-medium from Winco and one from Whole Foods.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#32 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

These posts are hilarious!

As if anything bought at Winco would compare even remotely to the far superior quality of all the products at Whole Foods.

I challenge you all to buy a steak at Winco then buy one at Whole Foods, cook both to medium rare (don't turn it into rubber) then compare the quality, the texture, the source, etc. They won't even be close.

Whole Foods is where you buy your fresh vegetables and proteins, not preprocessed foods, or cans of re-fried beans.

I accept your challenge and volunteer my services to be the official tasting judge. Just to keep this completely independant, its best if you go out and buy the steaks ( and Fresh Mushrooms) and cook them. I'll come over with a bottle of 2 Buck Chuck and offer an unbiased tasting of your theory. As long as you are out shopping you might as well grab some baker potatos and Cherry cheesecake along with the ingredients for a Ceaser Salad.

I know all the pressure will be on me, but I'm up for the challenge and will give a fair unbiased assessment to everyone on here.

#33 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

I accept your challenge and volunteer my services to be the official tasting judge. Just to keep this completely independant, its best if you go out and buy the steaks ( and Fresh Mushrooms) and cook them. I'll come over with a bottle of 2 Buck Chuck and offer an unbiased tasting of your theory. As long as you are out shopping you might as well grab some baker potatos and Cherry cheesecake along with the ingredients for a Ceaser Salad.

this menu is exactly why the bay area WF trainers are looking down their noses at us! we're just not sophisticated when it comes to "modern" cuisine. A WFer would be more likely to have a miso-marinated wild salmon with quinoa and some lightly braised vegetables, a local pinot noir and a rustic apple tartine for dessert. Do you think it would help if we all started wearing black? or hemp?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#34 legofamily

legofamily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Reading
    Hiking
    Photography
    Sports
    Science

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

We went to Whole Foods this weekend and while the store is beautiful, the prices are high. We will most likely be shopping there for meat and produce only. I am not sure how often we will shop at Whole Foods, but it won't be our regular grocery store. I do like that they have lots of products produced/grown/made in the U.S.A. I also thought the strong fish smell by the meat counter was a little unpleasant. It is a nice store. I want to try out the Bier Garten some time.

#35 slowthegrowth

slowthegrowth

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

Not a store for the 99%!!!!

Not a store for the 99%!!!!

#36 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

this menu is exactly why the bay area WF trainers are looking down their noses at us! we're just not sophisticated when it comes to "modern" cuisine. A WFer would be more likely to have a miso-marinated wild salmon with quinoa and some lightly braised vegetables, a local pinot noir and a rustic apple tartine for dessert. Do you think it would help if we all started wearing black? or hemp?

I'll try this tonight, what setting should I use on the microwave?

#37 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

As a Bay Area native, I can say that those that live in the bay now are a bunch of entitled pricks that wouldn't know an honest day's work if it bit them on their behind. Have you been to Cupertino? Eeek! They can have their attitudes, their traffic, their congestion (not just traffic, just so many people) and their we're-better-than-you attitudes and keep 'em there in the Bay Area.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#38 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

Sad to see the tone of this thread and the little bickering back and forth. WF seems to believe that there is a sufficient customer base in the area to have opened a store here. Those that want to continue shopping elsewhere, that's fine. It's a free country. Those that want to patronize WF, so be it. Does either choice make anyone right or wrong; better or lessor? I think not. To each his own and leave it that.

If someone chooses to shop or not shop there, so what? Does it bother you either way?

Personally, I like that WF seems to be eco-friendly and supportive of sustainable agriculture and sustainable seafood. I like the option of organic meats and produce. I'm not crazy about vegan and gluten free products but I think it's great that they offer it for those that want/need it. I love that they have fresh, shelled Dungeness crab meat (and other products that make my life easier).

Will I stop going to the places I've been going (Raley's / Nugget)? No, but WF now provides me great options for things that I feel have been otherwise unavailable. It's not like WF is some evil, conspiring company. I agree that, for whatever reasons, it's not going be for the 99%. But I'm pretty sure it's catering to more than just the 1%. For example, does the <fish type> at WF taste better than at <other supermarket>? Maybe, maybe not. But I like that's wild trawl / line caught and am willing to pay the difference. Sometimes, it's not just about taste.

To me it's similar to the case of buying a t-shirt. One made in the US or same one made in China? Even if it's more expensive, if I can afford it, I will buy the one made in the US w/out question.

#39 momof1

momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:48 PM

I agree with most, nice store, but watching my budget means I won't be a regular.
I doubt their bananas are any better than Winco's, but they do carry things Winco won't.
I expect Winco will stay my number one grocery store, I can bag my own groceries to save money. Costco will remain my number two(Kirkland TP, Laundry Detergent, Dishwashing Detergent, meats in bulk, etc.). Raley's will remain my number 3 (it's the closest to my house so when I'm out of something and need it right away, I'll pay the premium for the short trip). Safeway my number 4(due to it being convenient during my commute home). Whole Foods will likely replace the EDH Nugget as something I might go to when looking for something less common.

#40 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

funny. I noticed that the people who have been hired to work at WF in Folsom looked pretty friendly, while some of the trainers (clearly identified by their aprons embroidered with their home store, like "Cuptertino", etc.) looked like they were slightly less than excited to be having to rub shoulders with the suburbanites. LOL. Surely they can't be confusing us with the 1 percent!

LOL -- I haven't been there yet, but my friend was complaining about all the imported employees and their piercings.

#41 Fowler

Fowler

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

Good thing we don't all agree on where to shop or there would be a few grocery store with LONG lines!! I haven't been into Folsom's WF yet, but will soon. I too have certain things I shop for at certain stores and I doubt WF will change that significantly. I like Winco for some things, but haven't ever been able to bring myself to buy meat there and the produce is ok, but spoils quickly. Just my opinion though:D: I do like Raley's and Nugget for more specialty things which I'm sure I'll enjoy WF just for the sake of mixing it up a little.

#42 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

I just got home from WF. I am glad that it's here, but it is a lot different than the other WF stores around here.

Firstly, it's a lot smaller in comparison to Roseville, & even Arden. I'm highly disappointed in the dinky fruit/vegetable section. I had to search & search just to find the spinach. I never did find the whole head lettuce, only the loose leaf pay-by-the-lb and the bagged varieties. The other thing I found disappointing in this dept was how close the bins were to each other. One person blocks the entire aisle, so I frequently had to go all the way around. No biggie about going around, but for this reason alone, I now know that I will never go there during peak shopping hours.

A great thing, though, they had honey crisp apples that I had bought at Bel Air about a month ago, except now Bel Air's were all dinged up & brown (& unappetizing). WF's honey crisp's were in pristine condition. That is one of the reason's why I love WF!

I basically shopped/skimmed the perimeter of the store, as I assumed the center aisles were filled with WF usual products. I LOVE the huge meat counter, and look forward to returning to that department (freezer is full at the moment).

I agree that the fish department was overwhelmingly stinky, and I steered clear.

It seemed to me that a huge portion of the store was dedicated to the prepared foods. I find that interesting that they think the Folsom market wants a lot of preppred ready-to-cook foods (I suppose the suburb syndrome). Now, I do love WF prepared foods, as it eases my burden of cooking nightly. On close look, though, I saw things, such as an abundance of grease in the foil cooking pans on display, that turned my stomach. On the plus side, they had a large selection of grilled chicken which is great for those of us who don't have our own BBQ (yet). The price was $5/breast or $13.99/lb...yea...kind of pricey, but very convenient. I think the price is comparable to the prepackaged, grilled Rocky chickens at Costco. It's just closer for me.

The cost of my 1 bag of groceries was $43, exactly what I paid at TJ's just 30 minutes prior. The contents were essentially the same - fruits, veggies, + or - a few items. There are different products I prefer to buy at each place. And I will continue to shop at multiple stores for different items.

I'm just glad that we have another grocery store option, and that it's WF, and it's really close to me!

#43 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

Firstly, it's a lot smaller in comparison to Roseville, & even Arden. I'm highly disappointed in the dinky fruit/vegetable section. ......... The other thing I found disappointing in this dept was how close the bins were to each other. One person blocks the entire aisle, so I frequently had to go all the way around. No biggie about going around, but for this reason alone, I now know that I will never go there during peak shopping hours.

Ditto. It is extremely cramped in the produce and bakery areas. Very disappointing and very frustrating to maneuver around.

I'd rather see them remove an aisle or two of canned goods, which people can buy anywhere, and expand the produce section and produce aisle space. But that's me.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#44 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

Really? ANYTHING? The can of beans at Whole Foods is better than the same brand at Winco?

The bell pepper is far superior?

You are comparing one item, a steak, and judging the superiority of Whole Foods based on that?

Maybe they should call themselves 'superior steaks and rare stuff' and sell only that.

If, however, they are going to sell staples, and they are the same brands and quality as found elsewhere, but their prices are far higher, regular folks will take notice and voice their opinions.

I understand overhead costs and all, but there is no reason to pay $3 for an 87 cent avocado, or $3 for an 89 cent can of beans.

A bell pepper is a bell pepper no matter where you go. To me, the difference is whether or not the item is fresh, and Winco has never disappointed.

Perhaps I'm just a low-lander who doesn't appreciate good marbling in a steak.

no no no mon-ami

have you been to whole foods? you can buy aged beef there, I'm talking about kobe quality beef dude-a-roni! you ain't gonna find that at Winco. It also ain't gonna be cheap but if you cook it right, it will blow your mind, it doesn't get better.

on the vegetables, when's the last time you saw fresh chantrelle or porcini mushrooms ANYWHERE around here? OK sure, they're $14.99 a pound, but I don't need a pound and holy cow, cooking with chantrell's is like frying on acid, wow what a trip!

oh I think you can appreciate a good steak, I just had their new york strip sirloin and it was off the hook, and hella cheap! I ain't ever seen meat this fresh, I think they killed the cow out back it was so freakin' fresh.... dude, seriously. it's the schnizel.

now to re-iterate. You don't go to Whole Foods to do all your shopping, you just go for the specialty items, meats, fish, exotic vegi's etc etc.... you don't do your every day shopping there, you don't buy basic green peppers, canned beans, avocados and everything else that can be had exactly the same elsewhere for cheaper.... just use logic and you'll soon see all the things that Whole Foods that can't be found anywhere else.... it's a cool place... and by cool I mean it has a freakin' bier garden at the entrance to the place! go drink then shop heheh just don't spend you're "whole check"...

#45 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

it has a freakin' bier garden at the entrance to the place! go drink then shop heheh just don't spend you're "whole check"...

I've got to ask...Why are they calling their beer garden a "bier" garden?

bier   /bɪər/ Show Spelled[beer] Show IPA
noun
1.a frame or stand on which a corpse or the coffin containing it is laid before burial.
2.such a stand together with the corpse or coffin

Origin: before 900; Middle English bere,Old English bēr, bǣr(e); cognate with Old High German bāra(German Bahre), Dutch, Danish baar,Swedish bår;spelling influenced by French bière;akin to bear1, barrow1
Can be confused: beer, bier.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users