#31 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ May 10 2005, 01:29 PM)
Whips, chains (which you can get at Home Depot) and leather for "adult purposes".  They're also not allowed to sell anything resembling human anatomy :\

View Post

So does Raley's have to stop selling cucumbers. Sorry... it was the first thing that came to mind when reading your post.

I think this proves as to how stupid this whole thing is! If you are offended by the shop... then don't go in.

By the way... I was walking around Sutter St the other day... and it really doesn't stand out or detract from the whole historic image!

#32 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

Well said! I've talked with Sam several times and I believe they are doing the right thing - they have a right to speak their minds against the tyranny of a narrow minded society that dwells in the 19th century. These are modern times and if those folks would open their eyes - they'd realize that a business like theirs actually helps marriages thrive and prosper - so kudos to them for being strong and going forward with their business.

They will always have my support.

Dave

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#33 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(tgianco @ May 8 2005, 10:42 AM)
I am torn by this suit. If it truly is not for money, then good for them. As a chamber member, I am ashamed of the way the chamber handled this. I could care less about the store, but I am not opposed to it because Folsom is not "Little House on the Prairie."

If it's a money grab, I truly don't get it.

View Post

Its not for the money - its for the principle of the matter - they have a right to that business (as do us consumers) and the way the ordinance was modified prior to their opening last year to attempt to keep them out of business was shameful - is this not America?

Dave

#34 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ May 10 2005, 02:47 PM)
Its not for the money - its for the principle of the matter - they have a right to that business (as do us consumers) and the way the ordinance was modified prior to their opening last year to attempt to keep them out of business was shameful - is this not America?

Dave

View Post

This is America.. the ordinance was modified by elected officials. In a democratic society, if you disagree with your officials, don't re-elect them. Bring in one's who will change ordinances they way you want. If people agree with you, it's obvious their business will be allowed. If you're outnumbered, you're in the minority, your loss.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#35 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ May 10 2005, 01:55 PM)
This is America.. the ordinance was modified by elected officials.  In a democratic society, if you disagree with your officials, don't re-elect them.  Bring in one's who will change ordinances they way you want.  If people agree with you, it's obvious their business will be allowed.  If you're outnumbered, you're in the minority, your loss.

View Post

You are correct and that is indeed the case. This may have an impact on their future when new elections occur. I for one will be sure to get out and vote and do what I can to get folks in office who are more in tune with current (modern) society.

It's too bad the democratic process couldn't go one step further and allow the city to vote on these types of issues, but I'm sure that would be nearly impossible. I'm no expert on this stuff, but I do feel strongly about the decisions being made. I believe that there is an old mentality (in the current office) that assumes a business like this is not good for our society - perhaps that is based on the age of the elected officials (?) - maybe they do not know what people really want and so they push their own ideals and views on others....but you said it all - they were elected and so it was their choice to do what they did - the only solution is to make a better decision in the future in who we elect to represent our city.

Thanks for the input
Dave

#36 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ May 10 2005, 12:29 PM)
Whips, chains (which you can get at Home Depot) and leather for "adult purposes".  They're also not allowed to sell anything resembling human anatomy :\

View Post

Lots of things resemble human anatomy. Wigs, prostethics, toys (non-adult), candy, etc.

#37 Adamal

Adamal

Web Geek

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ May 10 2005, 01:55 PM)
This is America.. the ordinance was modified by elected officials.  In a democratic society, if you disagree with your officials, don't re-elect them.  Bring in one's who will change ordinances they way you want.  If people agree with you, it's obvious their business will be allowed.  If you're outnumbered, you're in the minority, your loss.

View Post

Actually we are in a republic society. America is not and has never been a democracy; it’s a republic.

I agree with you. If you don't like their policies elect new representatives.

#38 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ May 10 2005, 03:09 PM)
You are correct and that is indeed the case.  This may have an impact on their future when new elections occur.  I for one will be sure to get out and vote and do what I can to get folks in office who are more in tune with current (modern) society.

It's too bad the democratic process couldn't go one step further and allow the city to vote on these types of issues, but I'm sure that would be nearly impossible.  I'm no expert on this stuff, but I do feel strongly about the decisions being made. I believe that there is an old mentality (in the current office) that assumes a business like this is not good for our society - perhaps that is based on the age of the elected officials (?) - maybe they do not know what people really want and so they push their own ideals and views on others....but you said it all - they were elected and so it was their choice to do what they did - the only solution is to make a better decision in the future in who we elect to represent our city.

Thanks for the input
Dave

View Post

Public voting is quite expensive, as Arnold is about to demonstrate with the special election and was already obviously demonstrated with the recall of his predecessor.

I, for one, do not want the city to foot the bill to let every citizen have their voice in this matter. This is what we pay our officials to do, to represent us. It is part of their job, and many do it admirably, to poll their constituency in order to better represent our wishes.

If you are not being heard: a) your representatives are doing a bad job and not listening, b) you're not speaking loudly or clearly, or c) you're just outnumbered. Talk to them (many also use email regularly) and find out which one it is.

In my opinion, more often that not, it's b) that's the culprit.

and yes, okay okay, republic! Protect the fathe.. er.. homeland!

#39 Adamal

Adamal

Web Geek

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ May 10 2005, 02:32 PM)
Public voting is quite expensive, as Arnold is about to demonstrate with the special election and was already obviously demonstrated with the recall of his predecessor.

I, for one, do not want the city to foot the bill to let every citizen have their voice in this matter.  This is what we pay our officials to do, to represent us.  It is part of their job, and many do it admirably, to poll their constituency in order to better represent our wishes.

If you are not being heard:  a) your representatives are doing a bad job and not listening,  b) you're not speaking loudly or clearly, or c) you're just outnumbered.  Talk to them (many also use email regularly) and find out which one it is.

In my opinion, more often that not, it's b) that's the culprit.

and yes, okay okay, republic!  Protect the fathe.. er.. homeland!

View Post

Fight the power shoot.gif guitar.gif

#40 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ May 10 2005, 03:32 PM)

If you are not being heard:  a) your representatives are doing a bad job and not listening,  b) you're not speaking loudly or clearly, or c) you're just outnumbered.  Talk to them (many also use email regularly) and find out which one it is.

View Post

I think you missed a KEY item- lets call it D) They have their own agenda...

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#41 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(Adamal @ May 10 2005, 02:32 PM)
Actually we are in a republic society.  America is not and has never been a democracy; it’s a republic.

I agree with you.  If you don't like their policies elect new representatives.

View Post

The Emporer has disbanded the Imperial Senate. The Regional Governors are in control. Fear will keep the rest of them in line.

Oops, wrong thread. The again...
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#42 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ May 10 2005, 03:39 PM)

Cheers
F500

View Post

A very valid point.. many don't make it far without the backing of the voting public. Seemingly more, however, make it further by lying to the public and pocketing the benefits of office.

Hopefully, the election process "should" weed out some of this behaviour. Unfortunately politics comes into play and nobody knows which way is up sad.gif Then we end up with people in power who can't stand a little dildo now and then!

#43 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ May 10 2005, 02:45 PM)
A very valid point.. many don't make it far without the backing of the voting public.  Seemingly more, however, make it further by lying to the public and pocketing the benefits of office.

Hopefully, the election process "should" weed out some of this behaviour.  Unfortunately politics comes into play and nobody knows which way is up sad.gif  Then we end up with people in power who can't stand a little dildo now and then!

View Post

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

#44 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:31 PM

"Public voting is quite expensive, as Arnold is about to demonstrate with the special election and was already obviously demonstrated with the recall of his predecessor."

- That's what I figured - it would be too expensive and time consuming and Arnie is clearly demonstrating that fact - he was at my work several weeks ago touting his reform agenda.

"I, for one, do not want the city to foot the bill to let every citizen have their voice in this matter. This is what we pay our officials to do, to represent us. It is part of their job, and many do it admirably, to poll their constituency in order to better represent our wishes."

- I don't want that either - we have other more important things to focus on and spend city funds on.

"If you are not being heard: a) your representatives are doing a bad job and not listening, b) you're not speaking loudly or clearly, or c) you're just outnumbered. Talk to them (many also use email regularly) and find out which one it is.

In my opinion, more often that not, it's b) that's the culprit."

- you are correct, the answer is b...I'm new to this area and new to all this and I plan to be vocal. I need to find out how to contact them and when public meetings are held etc - I'm very interested in the well being and future of our community.

#45 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ May 10 2005, 02:39 PM)

Cheers
F500

View Post

Thats what I was thinking..... they are pushing their own personal conservative agenda on others... in this case Mrs Teaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users