#76 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:06 AM

Dear Folsom Neighbors...

I was able to catch some of the goings on at the latest city council meeting....

You could just feel the love between the council and the contractor that is going to conduct the "outreach" to us, the voters in the next 10 months....

There were 4 speakers from the floor.... the Chamber of Commerce Presidente', Mr. Phil Scott, some guy I never heard of.... and of course Bob Holderness, who is the paid lobbyist/attorney for the developers..., speaking as a "private citizen" of course...

The one thing they all had in common was to bash the efforts of the citizens in this town who know the history of how we got here....

I've got a question for the City Hall Crowd....

Prove to me that these developers will go to the County or Rancho...if our initiative qualifies for the November ballot, will the developers fight it and put out some serious $$$$ to stop us, if they can just go to the County or Rancho....?

I don't think so.... They are going to fight this tooth and nail because you folks know that your oppostion to us is not founded in facts.....

#77 valdossjoyce

valdossjoyce

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 05:51 PM

I'm intrigued with the following part of Andy Morin's last post:

"Here is my idea of an initiative proposal.

Any development application on property to be annexed into the city of Folsom must be approved by a vote of the people with the terms and conditions set forth in the Sphere of Influence Memorandum of Understanding between Sacramento County and the City of Folsom as minimum standards.

A link to the existing sphere of influence resolution and MOU…"

Andy's initiative has two parts: 1) development applications require approval by majority of Folsom voters; 2) standards to be applied set forth in the MOU.

Our initiative has two parts, with subparts: 1) development applications (we use the language re-zone, which amounts to the same) requires approval by majority of Folsom voters; 2) standards to be applied would be a) 50% open space, b) new source of water; and c) two additional lanes on Hwy 50.

The operative language of either initiative is the language in part one: voter approval.

The initiative itself becomes law only by vote of the people. Conversely, the initiative, or ANY PART OF IT, can be repealed by vote of the people.

Soooo, when the developers/city present a development plan to the voters, it does not necessarily have to meet the standards set forth in part two of either Andy's initiative or our initiative. If a really terrific plan is presented to the voters, they can and will approve it!

Nobody's hands are being tied (other than whichever council members want to have the final say on development, and it only takes 3 out 5).

It's so plain and simply, I wish our initiative said nothing more than part one above. So, Andy, since we're on the same team, are you ready to sign????? And those of you still on the fence, we've got a website, www.folsomgrowth.org, we have blank initiatives and we can still use volunteers. Join us.

#78 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:40 PM

Hey ya'll.... it looks like we are close to submitting our petitions to the city...

I wonder what the "city hall" crowd will think when they get turned in....

I personally spent a couple of shifts collecting signatures and even walked my neighborhood a couple of times...

I was amazed at the amount of anger people have for the current situation with City Hall... and the mayor in particular...

My experience was that we didn't have to say much... and people just walked up to us to sign...

I don't know if any of you folks happened to see that neighbors over in Roseville have the same kind of initiative on their ballot... and by the way... The opponents are using the same arguments... "if we don't control it, then Placer County will do it"...

#79 valdossjoyce

valdossjoyce

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:01 PM

It's official. The Folsom Growth Initiatives were turned in to the City Clerk today. We had well over 4,000 signatures and intend to be on the November ballot.

Thanks to everyone who volunteered and everyone who signed. It's good to know that so many people agree that growth needs to be carefully managed and the best stewards of the land are the voters themselves. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#80 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 12:47 PM

please continue discussion here: http://www.tomatopag...t=ST&f=3&t=1452

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users