Windows Vista - Missing Dll File Problem 2/10/15

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

Ok- My friend's computer ( Also has ATT DSL) seems to have lost his McAfee virus program ( was not purchased but was a free download with ATT DSL ). 

So after a number of trials and talks with ATT tech, I found out that during a current re-download of the program that McAfee fails due to what seems to be a missing .dll file.

In this case the error is Missing file:  C:/program//mcafee/msc/mcmscins.dll

Talking to ATT about this they say that the file is missing or corrupted ( although I cannot even find the mcmscins.dll file with a full puter search). 

I have checked and this is a somewhat common issue, but the only fix that I have seen is some not so trusted "fix dll'  website.

Can anyone here help figure this out for me  or do I need to take the puter to the shop ?

I would appreciate any corrective comments.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:15 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but if this is a McAfee file, then wouldn't uninstalling the product and reinstalling it fix this?

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#3 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:51 PM

In all honesty you're probably better off forgoing McAfee altogether and getting any of the myriad free anti-virus suites out there, Ad-Aware, Panda, Avast! etc.

#4 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but if this is a McAfee file, then wouldn't uninstalling the product and reinstalling it fix this?

It is NOT a  McAfee file. I have tried the uninstall and reinstall a few times to no avail.  The file is a registry file that is apparently used across other programs, but seems to be a common failure point when installing McAfee.

In all honesty you're probably better off forgoing McAfee altogether and getting any of the myriad free anti-virus suites out there, Ad-Aware, Panda, Avast! etc.

I have added Avast! in the mean time. Only reason pursuing the McAfee for my friend is that it is a full suite of protection free when using ATT Internet and has more features than the free Avast!.   I guess  I will check other Free AV suites as well.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#5 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

It is NOT a  McAfee file. I have tried the uninstall and reinstall a few times to no avail.  The file is a registry file that is apparently used across other programs, but seems to be a common failure point when installing McAfee.

I don't think that is a correct statement. From what I find online, this DLL is owned by McAfee and is shared across only McAfee products.  It has to come from somewhere, and if it isn't part of the Windows installation itself (which I can't find any evidence of that being the case), an application or driver you install puts it there.

It's possible that installing another McAfee product in their full suite might put it there and this just assumed it was already there.  You could also try using the McAfee Virtual Technician and see if this is a known issue that they've built into the technician and it will fix it.

http://service.mcafe...1033&sg=TS&pt=1

But yeah, in general, I agree with Chad. Even when it is free and supposedly has more features, McAfee tends to always be more of a problem than those additional features are worth.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#6 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:23 AM

I don't think that is a correct statement. From what I find online, this DLL is owned by McAfee and is shared across only McAfee products.  It has to come from somewhere, and if it isn't part of the Windows installation itself (which I can't find any evidence of that being the case), an application or driver you install puts it there.

It's possible that installing another McAfee product in their full suite might put it there and this just assumed it was already there.  You could also try using the McAfee Virtual Technician and see if this is a known issue that they've built into the technician and it will fix it.

http://service.mcafe...1033&sg=TS&pt=1

But yeah, in general, I agree with Chad. Even when it is free and supposedly has more features, McAfee tends to always be more of a problem than those additional features are worth.

Thanks for the info.  I guess I did not look 'correctly' to find info on the .dll being owned by McAfee.   Also as you and Chad suggest, I will look more into the other free virus programs out there.

-Margaret Mead-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users