60 replies to this topic

#1 zach5

zach5

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:30 PM

How does everyone feel about there being a new hookah bar across from the High School? It seems that the Greek restaurant in the Safeway parking lot has now started doing the hookah bar thing at night. How did this pass through without any consideration of the public? Stockton is looking to ban them city wide, the same way Dublin has or Anaheim limits them.

Come Support Me This Year For Relay For Life!
http://www.acsevents.../ca/folsom/zach

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE(zach5 @ Aug 11 2006, 12:30 AM) View Post

How does everyone feel about there being a new hookah bar across from the High School? It seems that the Greek restaurant in the Safeway parking lot has now started doing the hookah bar thing at night. How did this pass through without any consideration of the public? Stockton is looking to ban them city wide, the same way Dublin has or Anaheim limits them.

A lot of young people think hookah is a safe way to smoke. A little research on the Internet indicates otherwise, and I'm wondering about how best to get that information across to students. I'm very disappointed to hear that not only is there a hookah bar here in Folsom, but that it was placed so close to the high school.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:59 AM

God forbid we let a business open and let consumers determine it's fate. We NEED government to tell us what is OK to do.

#4 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:14 AM

Assumably, government is still going to have control over the sale of tabacco to minors.

I see this question as comparable to asking why there's a liquor store so close to the elementary school. Does it really matter?

Personally, I like Hookah bars. I know it's unsafe and potentially lethal, but it's a fun experience for consenting adults.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#5 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Aug 11 2006, 06:59 AM) View Post

God forbid we let a business open and let consumers determine it's fate. We NEED government to tell us what is OK to do.

There oughtta be a law against allowing minors into bars at night!

oh wait... I think there is.

Nevermind
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

How can a hookah bar operate in California with the state being smoke-free in bars & restaurants?

#7 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

Am I the only one that had to google "hookah bar" to find out what this is? I was seriously thinking it was a strip club or something! biggrin.gif

#8 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE(john @ Aug 11 2006, 08:38 AM) View Post

Am I the only one that had to google "hookah bar" to find out what this is? I was seriously thinking it was a strip club or something! biggrin.gif

Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only person who did not know what it was. After googling it, I don't see a big deal.

#9 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Aug 11 2006, 08:38 AM) View Post

How can a hookah bar operate in California with the state being smoke-free in bars & restaurants?

Yeah, I don't get that either. --Is it that none of the smoke actually escapes from the hookah device -- therefore there is no danger of second-hand smoke??

How does a business like this -- across from the high school, no less -- get approved with no public debate?

Shame on a supposed "restaurant" that tries to turn a profit by hooking young people on tobacco. I think their business wasn't doing too well and they hope this will revive it. Well, I love gyros... but they'll certainly never see another dime from me.

Hookah Bars and Clean Indoor Air LawsFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Are hookah bars exempted from Clean Indoor Air ordinances? •. Secondhand smoke from hookahs is just as dangerous as any other secondhand smoke. The ...
www.law.capital.edu/Tobacco/CleanIndoorAir/HookahFactSheet.pdf

Ok, the above is a link that makes clear that secondhand hookah smoke is as dangerous as cigarette smoke and that hookah bars should typically be subject to clean air ordinances.

So, what gives??

#10 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Aug 11 2006, 08:56 AM) View Post

Yeah, I don't get that either. --Is it that none of the smoke actually escapes from the hookah device -- therefore there is no danger of second-hand smoke??

How does a business like this -- across from the high school, no less -- get approved with no public debate?

Shame on a supposed "restaurant" that tries to turn a profit by hooking young people on tobacco. I think their business wasn't doing too well and they hope this will revive it. Well, I love gyros... but they'll certainly never see another dime from me.

Hookah Bars and Clean Indoor Air LawsFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Are hookah bars exempted from Clean Indoor Air ordinances? •. Secondhand smoke from hookahs is just as dangerous as any other secondhand smoke. The ...
www.law.capital.edu/Tobacco/CleanIndoorAir/HookahFactSheet.pdf
Ok, the above is a link that makes clear that secondhand hookah smoke is as dangerous as cigarette smoke and that hookah bars should typically be subject to clean air ordinances.

So, what gives??

Must be some loophole in the "Government thinks adults are too stupid to choose for themselves" laws in this state.

#11 zach5

zach5

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:24 AM

Well not only that, but hookah bar are notorious for letting underage kids smoke. And the same goes for this one.

#12 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:32 AM

Did anyone bother to think this might be for the middle-eastern folks at Intel and NOT in fact an attempt to get our poor children hooked on the devil weed?

#13 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:45 AM

How do you come up with a statement like "hookah bars are notorious for letting underage kids smoke"?

Are you implying that because the owners are Muslim, they will ignore the obvious violations of the law and potential criminal fines and imprisonment?

"7-11's owned by Pakistani's are notorious for letting kids buy beer". Should we shut down all Pakistani owned 7-11's?

I'm sure they will have a seperate area outside, similar to a beer garden, where there is no dining (illegal to smoke and dine in the same proximity in California), and fenced so minors can't "sneak in". Adults with valid ID will be able to purchase product and consume it on the premises.

I see no problem with this, and certainly wouldn't make any judgements this early.

#14 zach5

zach5

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:00 AM

How do you come up with a statement like "hookah bars are notorious for letting underage kids smoke"?

Are you implying that because the owners are Muslim, they will ignore the obvious violations of the law and potential criminal fines and imprisonment?

I come up with this because I go to hookah bars, and so do my friends, and I know plenty of underage people who use them, because of the fact that they do not care about age. As did this one last night, which is what frightens me.

I'm sure they will have a seperate area outside, similar to a beer garden, where there is no dining (illegal to smoke and dine in the same proximity in California), and fenced so minors can't "sneak in". Adults with valid ID will be able to purchase product and consume it on the premises.

Not at all, you just smoke on sidewalk in front of the restaurant. And this one still does serve food, and there are many of them that actually require you to purchase food in order to do hookah.

#15 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

So you're saying that the Folsom store served tobacco to minors without checking ID? Sounds like they're going to get fined/license revoked pretty soon if they keep that up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users