53 replies to this topic

#31 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

I'm not so sure about the looting issue.  Fox40 was interviewing an evacuee this morning and I believe I heard her say she saw someone breaking into a business as she was leaving town.  Is it the same incident the sheriff reported last night?  I don't know.  I wouldn't be surprised if some knuckleheads decided to take advantage of the situation to help themselves.

I hope not. You know, some people take looting very seriously during disasters and stressful times.

you-loot-we-shoot.jpg

#32 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

I saw the press conference at noon today on Channel 3. The question about the 2005 report predicting big erosion issues with the emergency spillway came up twice. The main guy pretended that he had never heard of that...totally danced around it. I realize you can't go back and change things, but could he at least acknowledge that the issue DID come up years ago? Is that too much to ask?

When Govt people blatantly lie, does it even bother anyone anymore? The arrogance is amazing.

#33 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

I saw the press conference at noon today on Channel 3. The question about the 2005 report predicting big erosion issues with the emergency spillway came up twice. The main guy pretended that he had never heard of that...totally danced around it. I realize you can't go back and change things, but could he at least acknowledge that the issue DID come up years ago? Is that too much to ask?

When Govt people blatantly lie, does it even bother anyone anymore? The arrogance is amazing.

well, that was 12 years ago.  he may not have worked any where near that department at the time.  they may be so far into trying to get this resolved now that looking back at what was said more than a decade ago didn't come up in his briefing.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#34 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

I believe I heard this after they closed the spillway and before the use of the overflow spillway, but the news suggested erosion wouldn't be an issue because the water would flow over bedrock.  Oops!

Makes you wonder how many other faulty engineering assumptions exist out there in our country's infrastructure.

#35 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

The other day it was "We have a lot of Dam experts here!"

Today, it's helicopters dropping bags of rocks to an area where trucks have to dump them against the spillway to shore it up. 

Such poor planning and these DWR guys look as incompetent as any State agency. 

#36 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

Tony, I can only guess the reason that the "lead based grease" was replaced.....?  Like a lot of tragic failures and accidents it starts with one small change or minor event, then add a few more events on top of that, and there you have it.  A series of small changes or events leads to one big, tragic event.  And rappelling and jumping out of perfectly good airplanes are on my "no fly" list....!   Chris

Your guess is probably correct.

"Industrial climbing" uses two ropes at all times. Much safer than jumping out of airplanes, sport climbing or other inspection techniques we used when I started doing bridge inspections nearly 30 years ago.

#37 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:51 AM

I'm not so sure about the looting issue.  Fox40 was interviewing an evacuee this morning and I believe I heard her say she saw someone breaking into a business as she was leaving town.  Is it the same incident the sheriff reported last night?  I don't know.  I wouldn't be surprised if some knuckleheads decided to take advantage of the situation to help themselves.

sounds like the twitter posts saw. there was a gal on facebook folsom chat saying her friend was in Oroville and saw it happening.

#38 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

Interesting history about Oroville Dam, including negligence by the State of CA. Story below. And some of the comments are amusing.

http://www.infowars....ille-dam-fails/

#39 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

Just checking the news today...   Saw this on one of the forums I belong to.....    Unions....?   If this is true I just am sickened by this.  Of all times now is the time to work together, efficiently and quickly...!   No time for union bs right now....! As an ex Teamster (just for a little while) this makes my blood boil.   Chris

Bob Harlan
2 hrs ·
NON-UNION COMPANIES REMOVED FROM OROVILLE DAM EMERGENCY SPILLWAY REPAIRS -- The main contractor for the emergency repairs, Syblon Reid, is a union operated company. Syblon was happy to have non-union companies assisting as sub-contractors. Just two days into the project there was a push to remove non-union companies that started the rebuild at the jobsite. One was Siller Bros. which had the bright red Sky Crane helicopter. They were removed yesterday. Also facing removal is Nordic Industries. Both of these are Yuba-Sutter firms. Nordic was a savior during the 1986 floods when they started dumping huge boulders into the broken levee in Linda many hours before they even had a contract. Also removed this week were two helicopters from PJ's Helicopters from Red Bluff. CORRECTION: PJ Helicopter is still on the job site. Another company, Great Lakes Environmental & Infrastructure is also facing removal. Reportedly, the union representing Syblon Reid employees forced the issue and the project became more unionized. These non-union companies need to be congratulated for immediately stepping up and quickly and efficiently filling critical roles during the opening two days of the rebuild which accomplished a gigantic amount of work to get some 200,000 people who were under evacuation orders back into their homes. Bravo!

1A - 2A = -1A

#40 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

Just checking the news today...   Saw this on one of the forums I belong to.....    Unions....?   If this is true I just am sickened by this.  Of all times now is the time to work together, efficiently and quickly...!   No time for union bs right now....! As an ex Teamster (just for a little while) this makes my blood boil.   Chris

Bob Harlan
2 hrs ·
NON-UNION COMPANIES REMOVED FROM OROVILLE DAM EMERGENCY SPILLWAY REPAIRS -- The main contractor for the emergency repairs, Syblon Reid, is a union operated company. Syblon was happy to have non-union companies assisting as sub-contractors. Just two days into the project there was a push to remove non-union companies that started the rebuild at the jobsite. One was Siller Bros. which had the bright red Sky Crane helicopter. They were removed yesterday. Also facing removal is Nordic Industries. Both of these are Yuba-Sutter firms. Nordic was a savior during the 1986 floods when they started dumping huge boulders into the broken levee in Linda many hours before they even had a contract. Also removed this week were two helicopters from PJ's Helicopters from Red Bluff. CORRECTION: PJ Helicopter is still on the job site. Another company, Great Lakes Environmental & Infrastructure is also facing removal. Reportedly, the union representing Syblon Reid employees forced the issue and the project became more unionized. These non-union companies need to be congratulated for immediately stepping up and quickly and efficiently filling critical roles during the opening two days of the rebuild which accomplished a gigantic amount of work to get some 200,000 people who were under evacuation orders back into their homes. Bravo!

greed......  awful.

#41 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

I was watching the news conference yesterday and I believe the sheriff was playing the semantics game when it came to looting.  Now that everyone can return, he said there was no looting.  They had robberies of stores, but no looting.  When asked the difference he said robbery was usually one or two individuals breaking into a store or home while looting was a bunch of people breaking into a store and clearing it out. I can't help but believe the sheriff was misleading people regarding crime to prevent people wanting to come back early and protect their property.

#42 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

I was watching the news conference yesterday and I believe the sheriff was playing the semantics game when it came to looting.  Now that everyone can return, he said there was no looting.  They had robberies of stores, but no looting.  When asked the difference he said robbery was usually one or two individuals breaking into a store or home while looting was a bunch of people breaking into a store and clearing it out. I can't help but believe the sheriff was misleading people regarding crime to prevent people wanting to come back early and protect their property.

I saw that too. It was amazing, pathetic, sad, ridiculous...all at once. My God, can't our society just tell the truth anymore??

#43 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

Bob Harlan
2 hrs ·

have you been able to verify if this is true or not?

#44 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

I would believe it true based on my dealings with unions in Sac.

A more sobering perspective on the dam and Sacramento in general re floods:

https://www.scientif...en-catastrophe/

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#45 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

Found this really cool 3 d model of the Oroville dam  https://sketchfab.co...m_source=oembed

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users