12 replies to this topic

#1 JMH

JMH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:38 AM

I need some advice on whether to call a doctor or a dentist. My ear hurts but also the lower right quadrant of teeth hurt too. I can't tell which tooth because they all seem to hurt. It is just throbbing on that entire side. Aspirin isn't helping.

Do you think I have an ear infection or a bad tooth? It is so painful, it is hard to even think.

Thanks for any advice.
Jean

#2 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(JMH @ Apr 10 2006, 12:38 PM) View Post

I need some advice on whether to call a doctor or a dentist. My ear hurts but also the lower right quadrant of teeth hurt too. I can't tell which tooth because they all seem to hurt. It is just throbbing on that entire side. Aspirin isn't helping.

Do you think I have an ear infection or a bad tooth? It is so painful, it is hard to even think.

Thanks for any advice.
Jean

I actually could be either one ( I am not a doctor so this is from personal experience only- suggest you contact your doctor first)
I often get sinus / ear infections that affect my lower glands and it feels like it is my teeth- one indication that it could be ear or sinus/ear is if you feel down from the base of your ear under the lobe down to below your jaw and sense any discomfort in that range-- this to me would normally be an ear issue, not teeth...

for temporary relief - might try a hot pack...

But either way=- contact your doctor to check it out...

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#3 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:50 AM

Once I had a severe ear ache with throbbing and pounding and everything hurt. Finally the pain was so bad, we went to the emergency room. It was an abcessed tonsil, but mostly affected my ear. I would definitely call a doctor and get something stronger than aspirin.

#4 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:50 AM

Could be TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) Syndrome

Pain in the facial muscles and jaw joints may radiate to the neck or shoulders. Joints may be overstretched. You may experience muscle spasms from TMJ. You may feel pain every time you talk, chew, or yawn. Pain usually appears in the joint itself, in front of the ear, but it may move elsewhere in the skull, face, or jaw.

http://www.emedicine.../article_em.htm

To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

#5 FolsomiteAtHeart

FolsomiteAtHeart

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:14 PM

If you haven't had your wisdom teeth out yet, it could be that it got infected. That's what happened to me and I had to get on anti biotics and pain meds and then have them removed. Sometimes pieces of food can get lodged inbetween the gum and the tooth and can just sit there, thus causing the infection. Good luck, I hope you feel better!

#6 publicityguru

publicityguru

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(JMH @ Apr 10 2006, 12:38 PM) View Post

Thanks for any advice.
Jean

Try a dentist. I just had the same problem and thought I had a cavity or abcess. Turns out to be allergies and sinus infection, combined with the fact that I grind my teeth at night. I went to the dentist because I was afraid it was an abcess tooth. Although your symptoms like the ones I had recently, I've also had those same symptoms in the past, and it ended up being an abcess tooth. And if you do have an abcess, NO WAY should you put off going to the dentist. You'll make things 4 million times worse for yourself. (Trust me, I've been there)

If you need a dentist, I have a fantastic one: Dr. Lenna Bright.

I went to her, she checked my teeth, but then she also gave me a prescription for the antibiotics because since the teeth were hurting from my sinuses, she can do that. So it saves you a trip to the doctor and you end up killing a couple of birds with one stone. Her phone # is 348-3334 and she's at 5433 Palm Drive in Sacramento (about 20 min from Folsom). Tell her Andrea says "hello" if you go. Good luck.

#7 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

Here's what you do...
Go to the store...buy a bottle of whisky...go home and swish some in your mouth. If it stops hurting, then it most definately is your tooth...if not then it is probably your ear.

I'm totally serious!!! I had EXCRUCIATING tooth pain one night and did the whisly thing...it worked! (btw, I am totally anti-alcohol...but this really worked)

#8 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

Typically, if you tug on your ear lobe and the paint in your ear intensified it's probably your ear. If not, then a tooth is the culprit.

#9 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

I'm guessing it's your tooth and that the pain is radiating to your ear, but you won't know until you're seen by a doctor. I'm hoping you got in with someone today. Please post to let us know how you're doing and what the doctor said.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#10 JMH

JMH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I tried everything with the exception of the whiskey. I hurt too much to stumble into the liquor store. Actually, I was afraid they wouldn't sell me any thinking I had already had enough.

I was able to get into the dentist yesterday. He took exrays and couldn't find anything. He tapped on each tooth as well asking which one hurt. They ALL hurt. He said to go see the doctor.

Today, I went to the doctor. He couldn't find anything wrong with my ear either. He did say it could be my sinuses and gave me a perscription for antibiotics.

I know that I cannot be imagining this. Just breathing in cooler air causes the pain to start in the teeth and then move up to the ear. I am out of ideas. Guess I'll give the antibiotics 10 days and see what happens. I just hate the thought of 10 more days of this pain.

Any more ideas?

#11 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(JMH @ Apr 11 2006, 08:03 PM) View Post

Thanks for all of the replies. I tried everything with the exception of the whiskey. I hurt too much to stumble into the liquor store. Actually, I was afraid they wouldn't sell me any thinking I had already had enough.

I was able to get into the dentist yesterday. He took exrays and couldn't find anything. He tapped on each tooth as well asking which one hurt. They ALL hurt. He said to go see the doctor.

Today, I went to the doctor. He couldn't find anything wrong with my ear either. He did say it could be my sinuses and gave me a perscription for antibiotics.

I know that I cannot be imagining this. Just breathing in cooler air causes the pain to start in the teeth and then move up to the ear. I am out of ideas. Guess I'll give the antibiotics 10 days and see what happens. I just hate the thought of 10 more days of this pain.

Any more ideas?

I'm glad you had this checked out by both a dentist and doctor. According to this website (http://www.endodovgan.com/Endoinfo_Toothache.htm) sinus problems (sinus pockets in the cheeks) can absolutely cause dental pain. They also mention angina in some people causing tooth pain, but I'm not sure if that pain lasts as long as the pain you've had. Several days on the antibiotics should tell whether it is the sinus or not. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#12 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

JMH, I am so sorry for your pain. I know I had the same thing and it turned out that a cap on one of my teeth was out of place or something and needed to be ground down. Once that was done the pain went away. The way the dentist found out was to put some sort of tracing-type paper and have me bite down. It was amazing how much pain a slight misalignment like that could cause. I'm only mentioning this in case whatever the doctor did doesn't help. Something else to think about. Best wishes

smile.gif

#13 Folsom4Now

Folsom4Now

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with family, reading, many other things.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:18 PM

poor thing get it checked out! are you having any sinus problems with it? or just earache? go get some help
"I love when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, one spirit" -Khalil Gilbran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users