• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

If the Kings move, will you support the Warriors by default? Will you support the Hornets, RiverCats, Mountain Lions?

I hope it doesn't come to it; I just wonder how Sacramento will fill the entertainment void.

#2 Soonerborn

Soonerborn

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

Rivercats and that is all. One of these years Sacramento might grow up.

#3 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

I don't think it is an "if" but "when." There has been NO talk of renewal for season tickets. My season ticket rep of three or four years left for a position in New York three weeks ago. I will give up being a fan of a NBA team and stick to watching players I'm interested in following. I'll move to college basketball. Heck I may get season tickets for my alma mater . . . UC DAVIS!!!

If the Kings move, will you support the Warriors by default? Will you support the Hornets, RiverCats, Mountain Lions?

I hope it doesn't come to it; I just wonder how Sacramento will fill the entertainment void.

#4 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

It's a done deal. I was in Anaheim last week and all the papers had articles about the Kings coming there and the Honda Center is a really, really nice place. Life will go on here.

On a side note even the Kings name will most likely be changed because of the LA Kings NHL team. The 2 can co-exist now but I guess not when they are in close proximity to each other?

I need to take my son to a game ASAP as there are only like 10 home games left!

#5 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

If the Kings leave I'm done with the NBA

#6 bookwom

bookwom

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

When the Kings leave, I think we will be shocked by how much it really doesn't matter.
I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

#7 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

When the Kings leave, I think we will be shocked by how much it really doesn't matter.

I think it's going to cripple Natomas. I also think we won't realize how many concerts, sporting events that pass on Sacramento because Arco is antiquated.

We'll find things to do, but it doesn't mean we will have to like having to drive 2 hours for it.

If we get an arena without the Kings, some things could soften the blow like minor league hockey and soccer - I think the biggest thing that stings is that there's not much for entertainment in Sacramento and people seem pretty apathetic about it. Other cities do fine without professional sports due to large universities, but nobody cares about that here either! Very frustrating.

#8 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

+1
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

If the kings leave?

Well, I will go get the jersey I bought my teen when she was 3.
I will soak it in acid. Cut it into thin strips with a pair of childproof scissors
Set it on fire with childproof lighter and then bury the ashes in the rose garden by the
Capital.

Orrrr

I will turn my back on that team and excommunicate that team name from my household.

Soooo-times are tough. And they would abandon us? When times were good....
What a sad state of affairs.

#10 the_professor

the_professor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

Sacramento still has a basketball team?

#11 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

I can't believe someone named "bookwom" doesn't have an interest in sports.

#12 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

On a side note even the Kings name will most likely be changed because of the LA Kings NHL team. The 2 can co-exist now but I guess not when they are in close proximity to each other?

Not sure. When the Cincinnati Royals basketball team moved to Kansas City, they had to change their name to avoid confusion with the Royals baseball team. What name did they change it to? The Kings.

St. Louis used to have two teams called the Cardinals - one for baseball and one for football. But then the football team moved to Arizona and they eventually got one from Los Angeles.

I think that in order for Sacramento to land a major league sports team, somebody local needs to buy one and move it here. Also a local owner would probably work with the local government and businesses to ensure mutual success. The question is whether we have anybody local with the money and interest.

#13 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

If the Kings leave I'm done with the NBA

Ditto. I considered becoming a Lakers fan out of spite. I was even going to wear a Lakers jersey under my Kings jersey at the final game, which happens to be against the Lakers, then take off the Kings jersey at the end of the game and throw it over the railing on my way out. Imagine an entire arena of old Kings fans doing the same, with their new team of choice. Or maybe a jersey bonfire in the parking lot.

But then I thought about it. I've been getting pretty frustrated with the NBA lately. One thing I hate is how horrible the officiating is. It's the only sport I watch where the poor officiating is discussed during and after almost every game. There's also no consistency. Each team of refs call the game differently. Then you have the selective application of the rules, where some players get calls that others don't and even that changes depending on the ref team in play. Players are taught that this is "just the way it is" and they have to learn to deal with it. It makes the game too frustrating to watch sometimes.

If the NBA lets this happen, especially when it results in yet another cluster of teams in a large market, I'm officially done. I'll probably treat it like baseball and just watch a few post-season games and throw in some Sports Center highlights the rest of the season. To get my Winter sports fix, I'll probably attend a few Sharks games. I don't like watching hockey on TV, but getting club seats near the glass is a blast!
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#14 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

I think there will be more crime in the streets...more domestic fights...fewer affairs that hook up during game times...fewer car accidents and more cars cruising during what was game nights...less obesity from not eating stadium food... smaller newspapers...fewer neck strains ( and few doctors being employed) from watching the ball go from one end of the court to the other... higher unemployment...and a whole host of other changes and maladies that shall descend upon the Sacramento area...

Other than that - I cannot think of how it would affect the area... :cheer:

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#15 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

if they do pull the plug, it would be interesting to monitor the suicide hot line for an uptick in activity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users