#1 Coastal Cohort

Coastal Cohort

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:48 AM

Hi All,
I just completeed my daily walk with the dog and I am prompted to post this little reminder.

Please check the sidewalks in front of your house. Many of you have water and mud run off from your lawns that makes the section of sidwalk *very* slippery! weirdsmiley.gif I've slipped so many times, now I just walk into the street to avoid those sections.

It has gotten a bit better since the water restrictions, but still please take a moment to check your sidewalk and give it a good scrub down if it needs it.

Also, please clean the gutter in front of your house. I see many houses with piles of mud and debris that block the water flow - cleaning your gutter and the sewer grate helps with the run off and mud issues. I know it's a pain, we have a sewer grate that we have to sweep frequently - but it makes our sidewalks much nicer for all of us.

Thanks!!! specool.gif

#2 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

Monday's are especially fun - seeing how many people are still running their sprinklers on the one day Folsom said not to water lawns at all.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#3 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Sep 16 2008, 09:53 AM) View Post
Monday's are especially fun - seeing how many people are still running their sprinklers on the one day Folsom said not to water lawns at all.

Until the city complies with its own requirements, I don't see much desire for average joes to comply.

just an observation.

Posted Image

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(Revolutionist @ Sep 16 2008, 10:29 AM) View Post
Until the city complies with its own requirements, I don't see much desire for average joes to comply.

just an observation.

where did you make your observations? I'll send a note to the city about it for you and ask why they are not complying with their own notice.

#5 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Sep 16 2008, 09:53 AM) View Post

Gee, I wonder my daughter's soccer practice at Gold Ridge was in a big mud puddle last night. It was so wet, it soaked through my cork platforms!

#6 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(stacycam @ Sep 16 2008, 10:46 AM) View Post
Gee, I wonder my daughter's soccer practice at Gold Ridge was in a big mud puddle last night. It was so wet, it soaked through my cork platforms!

that's even worse... over watering.... makes no sense to send out that notice and not adhere to it themselves... I'd like to find out more about this...

#7 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Sep 16 2008, 10:50 AM) View Post
that's even worse... over watering.... makes no sense to send out that notice and not adhere to it themselves... I'd like to find out more about this...

I expect they wil respond like this:

mumble, mumble, mumble, it's too difficult to re-program our control systems, yamm, yammer, yammer, we are resource limited, we will get to it soon.
I would rather be Backpacking

#8 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Sep 16 2008, 10:58 AM) View Post
I expect they wil respond like this:

mumble, mumble, mumble, it's too difficult to re-program our control systems, yamm, yammer, yammer, we are resource limited, we will get to it soon.

Actually- I notice that they ARE working on the sprinklers in Bigfoot Park ( Natoma Station) and have in the past few months eliminated most of the major soggy areas and have now tagged other sprinklers for repair to fix some brown areas and minor sogs around the sprinklers...

On the sidewalk issue, we have runoff from our backyard ( on a hill) and I do clean it when it starts to get mucky-- as well as trying different methods to have all the water flow into the cracks in the sidewalk instead of over it ...

and we hose down our gutters to move the mud and stuff from up the street on to the next yards gutters...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#9 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:16 AM

You know you are over watering when there are mushrooms growing and I have noticed them a lot at the park lately.

#10 rlsliger

rlsliger

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(stacycam @ Sep 16 2008, 10:46 AM) View Post

My son had a game there last Saturday afternoon. It felt like walking on a sponge. They either have to be over watering or they have some broken pipe underneath.

#11 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Sep 16 2008, 11:13 AM) View Post
and we hose down our gutters to move the mud and stuff from up the street on to the next yards gutters...

Now there is a constructive use of water. wacko.gif

#12 Fan4Ricci

Fan4Ricci

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:05 AM

Folsom Dog Park is the same way (at least on the small dog side) a fricken mud puddle. You go home with soaking wet dogs and shoes! rolleyes.gif

This is our life. It's all that we get. The days are all numbered and the nights are all spent - Rob Thomas "Snowblind" -2009

#13 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

In our neighborhood most neighbors have complied with water restricitions, however, our sidewalks are always wet because of the way the yards are sloped....Even watering only a few minutes a day causes this effect.....U may just want to stay on the street..Many homes that have sloped driveways/yards have the same problem...
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#14 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:58 AM

Natoma Station Elementary's sprinklers are on Mondays. It overflows in to the asphalt too. I wish there was a city form to report water offenders - specifically schools and parks.

Residents are far less likely to be wasting water... Don't get me started on that pit of mud and dead grass that makes up the new softball field at Livermore Park. ohmy.gif

#15 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Sep 16 2008, 12:47 PM) View Post
In our neighborhood most neighbors have complied with water restricitions, however, our sidewalks are always wet because of the way the yards are sloped....Even watering only a few minutes a day causes this effect.....U may just want to stay on the street..Many homes that have sloped driveways/yards have the same problem...

Most of the water goes on my lawn, but some of the spray is right onto the sidewalk, so I have the same problem, in one minute, there is a small runoff already headed to the gutter.

All of my neighbors have the same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users