42 replies to this topic

#1 Toadster

Toadster

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

there seemed to be LOTS of kids out this year, most of them were very well behaved... but either I bought too much candy, or there just weren't as many kids visiting our door. We still have 2 handfulls of candy left.

I did notice a big increase in teenagers this year (mine included). We only had a couple of kids who were somewhat rude. But ultimately, it was a good night.

I was impressed how the time rules were kept pretty well...

first visitors were at 6:30 and the last ones by 9:30

#2 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:01 PM

Us too! Very light and many teens. We live in a 20 year old development, so the kids who were born here have all hit the teens. We did have some younger cuties. What I did notice were *great* cosutmes!!! Very creative, mostly store-bought, but so cute! The teens even put in an effort. Some poeple grumble about teenagers but I don't care how old my trick or treaters are - I give candy to all - it's fun for me too!!! biggrin.gif

#3 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:49 PM

Lightest ever, only 36

Last year we had 64 and it started to sprinkle/light rain around 8 PM.

I'm used to 100-150, any guesses as to how much left over candy I've got?
I would rather be Backpacking

#4 SandPebble

SandPebble

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

There seemed to be less children than last year although I kept no stats officially. Those that came were cute. It was over far too quickly. Lots of candy left.

QUOTE (Toadster @ Nov 1 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there seemed to be LOTS of kids out this year, most of them were very well behaved... but either I bought too much candy, or there just weren't as many kids visiting our door. We still have 2 handfulls of candy left.

I did notice a big increase in teenagers this year (mine included). We only had a couple of kids who were somewhat rude. But ultimately, it was a good night.

I was impressed how the time rules were kept pretty well...

first visitors were at 6:30 and the last ones by 9:30

#5 Stitch

Stitch

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

Started very light compared to last year and then it picked up but overall it seemed like 2/3 of normal. By 8pm it was dead and most of the neighbors had their lights out. I think we had kids knocking on the door up to 9pm.

Agree there were some good costumes this year. Lot of vampires!

#6 GFFmatt

GFFmatt

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

Bah-humbug! I got home around 7:45ish from the Jr. Bulldog game in Roseville, excited to pass out candy to the kids I saw walking about...my wife and boys were somewhere in the neighborhood and had left a bowl of candy out for trick or treaters...to my surprise, as I walked up to the door, the bowl still had candy in it.

So I rush inside, grab the rest of the candy and open the door, fill the bowl with the reserve stash just as more costumed pedestrians approached my door and I held out the bowl with a "Happy Halloween, kids"....the next 15 seconds ruined Halloween for me.

Those ruthless, greedy *&$%@ grabbed handful after handful until the bowl was nearly empty. This was 3 children. I stood amazed, looked out beyond my yard at the parents with awe...like..."this is how you've taught them to trick or treat?" ...then it became obvious, as they did not understand my LANGUAGE when I told them NO MORE, that this particular sect doesn't mind coming into my territory and taking all it can without asking first.

As I scared these brats off with my negative vibe, two other children approached...I shook my head, showed them the 3 or 4 pieces remaining in the bowl and said "sorry kids, this is all I have--THOSE kids took the rest." I let them have the remainder, they didn't bother to thank me, and I shut the door, turned off the lights and ended my 2009 Halloween. All in about 60 seconds.

Goodbye Sweet America.

#7 GFFmatt

GFFmatt

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

In addition, I think next year I'm going to wear an Obama mask, open the door, take kid's bags and poor half of it into my bowl and send them back on their way saying "thanks kids, this is for all the other kids who aren't out trick or treating!"

#8 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (GFFmatt @ Nov 1 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In addition, I think next year I'm going to wear an Obama mask, open the door, take kid's bags and poor half of it into my bowl and send them back on their way saying "thanks kids, this is for all the other kids who aren't out trick or treating!"

It's pour....not poor.

#9 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Nov 1 2009, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lightest ever, only 36

Same here, lightest year ever. Mostly little ones though that were very cute. I expected more teenagers since it was a Saturday night. Even had one woman in her sixties in a pumpkin suit. Our latest was at 10:00 p.m. when we were out putting the decorations away. Everyone was polite, said Trick or Treat, Thank you, and Happy Halloweeen.

If I guess how many pieces of candy do I get soup? I'll guess 93 pieces.

#10 fromhnl

fromhnl

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

Lightest ever, only 36

So statistics indicates a declining trend in Halloweeners in your neighborhood, so I'm sure you prepared accordingly. I'm gonna guess and say should have about 25 pieces of candy left over. Are your leftovers the full size bars or the bite size pieces?

#11 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

I didn't count visitors, but I only went through half a big bag of candy. This despite leaving the bowl and plastic pumpkin out and ignoring the door. Then I headed to a party. I figured to come back to vandalism, was shocked to find candy remaining. Maybe the vandals don't like pastel Twizzlers.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#12 GFFmatt

GFFmatt

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (EAH @ Nov 1 2009, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's pour....not poor.

I stand corrected, yes. However, cleary you could understand my use of "poor" with Obama on my mind.

#13 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (GFFmatt @ Nov 1 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I rush inside, grab the rest of the candy and open the door, fill the bowl with the reserve stash just as more costumed pedestrians approached my door and I held out the bowl with a "Happy Halloween, kids"....the next 15 seconds ruined Halloween for me.

As I scared these brats off with my negative vibe, two other children approached...I shook my head, showed them the 3 or 4 pieces remaining in the bowl and said "sorry kids, this is all I have--THOSE kids took the rest." I let them have the remainder, they didn't bother to thank me, and I shut the door, turned off the lights and ended my 2009 Halloween. All in about 60 seconds.

Goodbye Sweet America.

laugh.gif your mistake was offering them the entire bowl ... that was like giving an addict a rock of crack and telling him to only take one hit.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#14 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

Lightest ever, only 36

#15 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (GFFmatt @ Nov 2 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stand corrected, yes. However, cleary you could understand my use of "poor" with Obama on my mind.

Sigh.... I think you meant CLEARLY, and GFFMATT please keep all political comments to the appropriate forum. The message should be loud and clear by now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users