• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LexHillGal

LexHillGal

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:58 PM

Anyone else out there having to deal with roof rats? I am devestated and disgusted by the notion, but am trying to get over the shock and do something about them. I am working with a pest control company, but wanted to know if anyone out there has any tips and/or suggestions. Help!

#2 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:05 PM

1) Poison Bomb the attic
2) Get a cat

#3 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

I recently saw a "large mouse" scamper along our fence line. Eeek!!!

My neighbors tend to leave large bowls of dog food around for their outside dogs to munch on (poor sweltering creatures), so that could have something to do with it.

For once, I am glad that my other neighbor has an outdoor cat -- even though she tends to use our yard as her personal potty.

How did you discover that you have roof rats??

#4 LexHillGal

LexHillGal

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:44 PM

At night, I could hear "something" sliding across my ceiling in my kitchen and bedroom. I called the pest control company and they told me it was definitely rat. They have been getting a lot of calls in Folsom. People have seen them on fences in the evening, and many have called about having them in their attics.

Based on what I was told, I suggest that if you have seen one near by, have someone come out and inspect just to be sure. They can go undetected for quite a while and can cause damage. $29 well spent... I went through Clark pest control.

I have been advised to keep trees at a minimum by my house (roof rats love to climb trees and jump on available roof tops) and eliminate ivy. Hope this is helpful. If we can all be mindful of the issues, maybe we can protect each other.

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:20 PM

My neighbor two doors down said he has seen some. I have not.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#6 MemphisGirl

MemphisGirl

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:16 PM

We have three rats. Oreo, Vanilla and "White Nose Guy". Last I checked they were secure in their cages and not running around on anyone's roof! tongue.gif I should do a double-check on WNG because he is quite the escape artist!!! biggrin.gif

#7 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:33 PM

We had em at a previous residence. You definitely want to keep any trees that hang over the house trimmed back. You'll also want to try to seal any entry points. Typically where there are converging roof lines or dormers, there are spaces large enough for them to sqeeze through up under the eaves, especially on older houses. Fill these gaps with chicken wire and expanding foam. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#8 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(LexHillGal @ Aug 30 2005, 01:58 PM)
Anyone else out there having to deal with roof rats?  I am devestated and disgusted by the notion, but am trying to get over the shock and do something about them.  I am working with a pest control company, but wanted to know if anyone out there has any tips and/or suggestions.  Help!

View Post

we've seen mice around the yard and such but our cats always take care of 'em very well - they eat 'em.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#9 OceanGirl

OceanGirl

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:The ocean, boogie boarding, biking, martial arts, camping, hiking, skiing- pretty much anything outdoors, family, pets

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:11 AM

Ah yes........we had quite the problem in our garage with rats after we moved here. We believe it was due to the blackberry bushes in our yard- they'd feast there and then come sleep in our garage for the night. We found a box once with 4 of them living in there- took them to the dirt lot that used to be there before they built the Mervyn's and let them go......they hoped away.......kangaroo mice?

Then we had one rat we could not get rid of.........we even named him......Mr. Cheese. We tried traps, a device called the black hole, poison......finally the poison got him.....but he was around for a LONG time.

I've heard that if you set used kitty litter around in cans it will get rid of the mice/rats.....then you have a stink to deal with though.

This list might help.......

* The time to act is before the signs (droppings) of a rat or mouse.
* Stack fire wood 18 inches off the ground and away from all buildings.
* Birdhouses and seed should be on poles and in trays rats can't get.
* Keep garbage can lids closed tightly.
* Plant bushes so they will stay at least 3 feet from your house.
* Keep yards and alleys clean. Take junk to the dump!
* If you feed them, they will stay. Pick up fruit and vegetables in your yard.
* Do not compost any animal products (fish, meat, chicken, cheese, butter). Keep lids tight.
* Use only rodent resistant composters.
* In basements keep any food in closed containers that rats can't chew through.
* Cover all openings to your house. Rats can get into very small places.
* Do not leave your pet food outside. If your pet doesn't eat it, the rats will.
* Roof rats get into your house from tree branches that hang over the roof. Keep trees cut back and cover any openings in the eves.
I like to reminisce with people I don't know
~Steven Wright~

http://www.waterfallswest.com

#10 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:40 PM

We have had our share of roof rats. They usually show up in the winter when it rains. We've killed quite a few with mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Cheese is too easy to snatch. It takes a while to lick off the peanut butter and wham!!!!

#11 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:56 PM

We had them in eating out of the bird feeder.

Then we set rat traps in the garage and killed a few of them.

Then one got in the squirrel feeder for the winter. It was fun until he died in it.

This year, they ate my corn straight off the stalks. Then they ate a canteloupe I was waiting to ripen -- from the bottom so you couldn't tell it had been eaten.

Finally, after they ate most of my corn, I set some traps and caught two the first night and one today.

My neighbor finished five off a couple of weeks ago.

Our property is on full tactical alert and our weapons are armed until the coast is clear.

So long suckers!

Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#12 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:07 AM

Tis a common problem when house after house sprouts up in what used to be field mouse territory. The poison pellets seem to work well for us.

#13 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:37 PM

Had 'em a coupla years ago. Had pest control eradicate. Cut back the branches that reached high up on the house and haven't had any problems since.

Knock on wood. banghead.gif
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#14 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:42 PM

We had an un-invited visitor on our patio yesterday afternoon -- I like to call it a mouse, but my 4 year-old is taking great delight in proclaiming it a "rat" to anyone who will listen.

It was acting rather sick (i.e., just huddled on the patio, didn't scamper off when the dog and I got within 2 feet of it). By this morning, it was dead.

I wonder if it was poisoned?? Or maybe had a disease like rabies or bubonic plague??

Does anyone collect reports of dead or dying rats (like we do with birds for West Nile purposes?)

#15 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:29 PM

I watched them run back and forth along the fence at night. We had a pest control company help us get them out of our attic. Plugged a hole. None since. It was wierd listening to them run back and forth and knawing on stuff at night. Very unnerving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users