53 replies to this topic

#16 redman

redman

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

I second the vote for La Fiesta. I lived in San Francisco for 10 years and frequented the Mission District for a good burrito. My favorite place in The Mission was El Farolito. La Fiesta is not quite up to that level but it's fairly close. I have three primary criteria for choosing a taqueria:

- It has to be busy most of the time. If you don't usually have to wait in line, then the food won't be as fresh because they aren't constantly cooking more meat. A busy taqueria = a good taqueria. La Fiesta in Folsom is always busy.

- Must have good Al Pastor. A mediocre taqueria often doesn't even sell Al Pastor. Few do it well. The Al Pastor at La Fiesta is pretty darn good.

- Must have good salsa and fresh, free chips made on site. La Fiesta nails both. Their salsas are actually very similar to El Farolito (especially the creamy green salsa) and part of the reason I like this place.

I understand there are a few holes-in-the wall in the Sac area that are even better, but in Folsom you can't go wrong with La Fiesta.

For a sit down meal, the choices aren't as great. There are a few dishes I like at Mexquite and Q'Bole, but not like I get in the Mission.

#17 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

Where do the local mexican families recommend?

I grew up in central california - Tulare, Kings, Fresno & Kern counties which is the agri-heartland for mexican food.

La Fiesta seems to be the place most frequently mentioned. Besides cheap variety, why is it so great? What's so special about their taco or burrito that makes it better than anyone else's?

I see more Mexicans at La Fiesta than the other places I visit. I don't know if it's price, or the food, but that's where I see the most Mexicans.
I would rather be Backpacking

#18 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:42 AM

Zocalo in Sacramento. La Fiesta in Folsom.

Zocalo's chicken mole enchiladas are the best. so are the three salsas they serve with their chips. I have never had a meal there I didn't savor. And the atmosphere is airy and wonderful.

La Fiesta is just great mexican food and has a super salsa bar too. never been disappointed there either.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#19 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hubby and I went to Felipe's last night and was very happy with the food and the service.

I think their chips and salsa is the best around. Their prices are very reasonable and the portions are generous. I couldn't eat all my dinner and took about a third of it home.

It's an out of the way restaurant that is far under rated, in my opinion. It's at 1760 Prairie City Road. One must turn into a shopping center to get to it.

For traditional Mexican food, that's where we always head....great food, nice atmosphere, and clean. Give it a try if you want a calm atmosphere and relaxing dinner or lunch, away from the maddening crowd.

For those who are wondering, NO, I don't work there.

#20 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

For sit-down, none have really impressed me. Carmelita's in Fair Oaks is as good as any.

I agree 100%. It is nice to support locally owned restaurants such as Carmelita's, especially with the phenomenal amount of rebuilding they had to do after the building burned down about five years back.

#21 granto

granto

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

La Fiesta
Adanbertos (cheap & good-ish)
La Placita
Lolitas
La Rosa Blanca

Lolitas got sold and IMHO, has gone downhill. La Rosa Blanca has been very good of late.

Anyone try that El Pueblo in the Ashland Center?

#22 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

My go-to is El Rincon, by Peets on E. Bidwell. They have the best grilled chicken burritos. I like that they are family owned, good quality, and fair prices. And delish! :D:

#23 Fullers

Fullers

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Family, Friends, Music, Good Food, and Cooking

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

Rincon and La Fiesta are definitely the two best in Folsom as far as Taqueria's go. Sol Azteca is my favorite Mexican restaurant. I haven't tried La Rosa Blanca. The waiter at Sergio's said it was really good.

#24 redman

redman

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

I've been meaning to try El Rincon because I've heard great things about it. Also curious about El Pueblo. One of these days I'll convince my wife to go there with me, but she's a big fan of Mexquite (particularly their creamy chile rellenos and the mole) so it might be hard pulling her away.

#25 carnivore

carnivore

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:cooking, eating, restaurant touring

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

Many good places mentioned according to personal tastes.. isn't that what makes us different? but more aware of other ideas and places to go visit? I love Rincon as well as not mentioned thus far... Casa Ramos in the former Applebees location.. I think they serve very authentic food at a very fair price... just my $.02 worth... hehe
any way I look at it.... it's all good.. cause it's food !!!!

#26 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

I tried El Rincon for the first time today and was very impressed. I had a Steak Fajita plate; the meat was delicious and not overcooked (YEAH), the black beans had great flavor (beans are so bland at most restaurants), and the veggies were grilled perfectly. My friend had a pork dish -- can't remember what it was called -- and she said it was great as well. I'm a big fan of La Fiesta, but it's good to know I have another good option in Folsom.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#27 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

I tried El Rincon for the first time today and was very impressed. I had a Steak Fajita plate; the meat was delicious and not overcooked (YEAH), the black beans had great flavor (beans are so bland at most restaurants), and the veggies were grilled perfectly. My friend had a pork dish -- can't remember what it was called -- and she said it was great as well. I'm a big fan of La Fiesta, but it's good to know I have another good option in Folsom.

So glad you liked it! It's been a favorite of mine since they opened. Let me know next time you go and I'll meet you there for something yummy. :P

#28 Inwit

Inwit

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:26 PM

I like the Taqueria La Mexicana over by the movie theater (not Palladio).
n. 1. Inward sense; mind; understanding; conscience.

#29 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

Although we go to Felipe's for a sit down dinner, we go more often to El Rincon, when we are in a hurry...and it seems we are most the time.

I love the fact that they use so many vegetables, because they add such wonderful flavor and are so good for you.

The owner, Juan Carlos, is a wonderful guy.

#30 thememories

thememories

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

I absolutely love Felipe's. The service is great, food always comes out fast and correct with large portions, decent prices, and delicious chips and salsa :)
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken,
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth’s unknown, although his height be taken.
Love’s not Time’s fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Whithin his bending sickle’s compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error, and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Shakespeare, Sonnet 116.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users