Good Restaurants Near Mather Commerce Park

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

I'm going to be attending a 3 day conference over in that area, and we only have 1 to 1.5 hours for meals. I drove over there today to see what kind of food is available, and I really didn't see much...other than chains & hole-in-the-walls. There is a nice little strip mall at the corner of Rockingham Drive & Mather. They had an Urban Dog, a thai, a sandwich & a pizza place. And then I drove over to Capital Village, but the pickings weren't much different, just chains ---Chili's, Rubio's, Steve's Pizza.

Chains are ok, usually reliable, but I was looking for something a little more unique. I've got friends from all over the state coming, so I wanted to find something a little different than what they can get at home.

Are there any really good places near there?

#2 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

How close is close enough? There are a lot of options if you go up Sunrise. There are a couple of sushi places right up or down the freeway.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#3 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

How close is close enough? There are a lot of options if you go up Sunrise. There are a couple of sushi places right up or down the freeway.

Sunrise south of Hwy 50 would be ok, but not north - too much traffic.
No sushi for me!!

#4 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

I was wondering if anyone has been to Shahrzad Fine Persian Cuisine. It looks interesting.
2931 Sunrise Blvd# 125 Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
www.shahrzadrestaurant.com

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

Again, depending on what you consider close enough, there is also Sheepherders Bar & Grille or Formaggio up at Folsom Blvd. just past Sunrise. I haven't been to Sheepherders in quite some time so I'm not sure what it's like anymore.

If you go up Sunrise into Gold River there is Il Fornaio Classico... if it's still there?

#6 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

If I only have a total of an hour, or 1.5 hours, then I have to take into account travel time and service(wait)/ meal time. That's why I was looking for something nearby (closer than north Sunrise). I know there is a bunch of really great places right around Chevy's & over on the other side near Applebee's.

I wasn't too impressed with the food at the Sheepherders Inn, but the building is impressive. I'll keep that as a possibility.

Formaggio...that looks good. I didn't realize it was at the Marriot. That's a good idea. Thx

#7 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

If you like sub sandwiches, The Sandwich Spot (the one by the Urban Dog you saw) truly does have amazing sandwiches. I think they use magic instead of yeast in their bread.

http://www.thesandwichspot.com/

#8 jtroiano

jtroiano

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

If you like sub sandwiches, The Sandwich Spot (the one by the Urban Dog you saw) truly does have amazing sandwiches. I think they use magic instead of yeast in their bread.

http://www.thesandwichspot.com/

I work in the area and The Sandwich spot does tri-tip sandwich on Thursdays and it's quite often a sell out. I have never tried it myself, but the place is hopping on Thursdays.

#9 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the tip on The Sandwich Shop. I saw that place & was wondering about it. I will definately check it out. Too bad I won't be there on Thursday though.

#10 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

Ike's Deli on Sunrise (South near White Rock)... if you like a pita-style sandwich. They are a local favorite famous for their homemade bread.

I've been to the Persian place. It was a few years ago, but I remember it being ok but kind-of expensive. Good enough to give it a try, though. There's a Mexican food place in that same center that I remember being ok, too.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#11 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

Ike's Deli on Sunrise (South near White Rock)... if you like a pita-style sandwich. They are a local favorite famous for their homemade bread.

I've been to the Persian place. It was a few years ago, but I remember it being ok but kind-of expensive. Good enough to give it a try, though. There's a Mexican food place in that same center that I remember being ok, too.

I 2nd Ike's Deli if all you want is a sandwich and a potato salad or soup (think they still have those). I remember Ike's has a line to or out the door during peak lunch times. Worth the wait.

#12 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

I 2nd Ike's Deli if all you want is a sandwich and a potato salad or soup (think they still have those). I remember Ike's has a line to or out the door during peak lunch times. Worth the wait.

Is that the place in the brick building?

#13 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

I think Sheepherder's closed (again), didn't it?

#14 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

Is that the place in the brick building?

Yes next to an adult business. Still, Ike's makes a great sandwich. Love the bread.

#15 tobiou

tobiou

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:28 AM

Shahrzad is good and priced well for lunch. Order the ˝ salad with your lunch for an extra $1.00. Otherwise, half your plate is rice.

Nearby Capital Village near the corner of Zinfandel and White Rock is Sala Tsai which is good and priced well for lunch.

Sheepherders is not good and very expensive! Just past Sheepherders on Folsom is good Sushi at Ichi Maki.

Hidden in a small strip mall on Sunrise near White Rock is Central Station. Ambiance is not so great - very basic, but has good barbeque.

Two good places on Olson are Mints Euro Asian Bistro and NY Bagel Café.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users