#16 notsure

notsure

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Everything food...

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

The food was top notch. We had Shanghai rolls, Mongolian Iron plate chicken & fried rice. The rolls were fresh & crisp. The chicken was spicy as they said it would be. Not the usual adding chilli garlic sauce that you see in every Chinese restaurant. They elevated the spice levels with schezuan peppers. You could tell that they were made to order. The chicken was not cooked and ready to be added in a sauce that was pre made.
The rice was cooked to perfection and yet did not taste too old ad dry. We sat outside and actually had a wonderful conversation with Food Enthusiast_95630 :). We preferred to sit outside, because we have a talkative toddler and did not want to disturb the other guests. The owner came out and talked to us, he checked on us a few times & came back to say thank you. He mentioned that two of his employees called in sick & he was managing the front & the kitchen. It was seamless..

We are definitely going back again!

#17 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

The last day of our "staycation," I didn't feel like cooking (rare for me) and we went back tonight, this time taking our son. He was as blown away as we have been with the quality of the food and the excellent customer service. I was thrilled to see the restaurant fairly full and doing some take-out business. On our mission to try different items we ordered Spring Rolls, Three Ingredients, and Malaysian Style Curry Chicken in Clay Pot.

Spring Rolls. These are very tasty vegetarian spring rolls, cooked perfectly and not greasy. :2thumbsup:

The surprise! :lmaosmiley: The owners were very thankful for our repeat business and for sharing the good word on MyFolsom and surprised us with Shanghai Rolling Lettuce Chicken, lettuce wraps served with plum sauce. It was a lovely gesture, although not necessary; we're pleased as punch to have this restaurant in town and are motivated to see them succeed. The lettuce wraps were awesome and our gracious hosts awesomer (I'm allowed to make up new words, eh?).

Three Ingredients. One of the Chef's Specials, this dish includes prawns, scallops, calamari, and a host of fresh, tender-crisp vegetables in a garlic wine sauce. It is a subtle dish with everything cooked to perfection. :cheer:

Malaysian Style Curry Chicken in Clay Pot. We wanted a spicy dish and this one had a little pepper icon on the menu. Not knowing how spicy Malaysian spicy is we asked for medium spicy. The dish was delicious, but it was mild. Malaysian curry isn't as spicy as say Thai curry, which we didn't know, so by asking for medium it cut mildly spicy down to almost no heat. I should have asked before ordering. Our server, Ken, asked how we were enjoying he dish (as he did for every dish) and we shared the above. He explained that Malaysian curry isn't that spicy and promptly asked if we wanted them to prepare it again with more spice. We declined, but appreciated the offer. :coolman: Next time if we're not sure about the heat of a dish we'll ask.

We came home with leftovers. :) :yummy:

This restaurant has the recipe for success and they seem to have thought about every little detail, right down to the fact that the containers they use to send home soup are sturdy, secure, and don't leak! The owners truly care about and deliver delicious food with superior service. I wonder how long it will take before they need a larger facility.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#18 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

... and a large flat screen TV visible with sports showing with no outside volume.

This is a pet peeve of mine. I don't understand why restuaruants put TVs in. The whole point of a restaurant is to have conversation and be relaxed. When a TV is showing over the head of my date, I can't help but look at it. It's so annyoing when my DH's eyes wander over my head and stare at it as well. TV's are so hard to tune out - you just can't help it! I don't mind TV's in a sports bar or the like, but in a nice restaurant? No thanks!
Just curious about what others think? And why this trend has taken off?

#19 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

This is a pet peeve of mine. I don't understand why restuaruants put TVs in. The whole point of a restaurant is to have conversation and be relaxed. When a TV is showing over the head of my date, I can't help but look at it. It's so annyoing when my DH's eyes wander over my head and stare at it as well. TV's are so hard to tune out - you just can't help it! I don't mind TV's in a sports bar or the like, but in a nice restaurant? No thanks!
Just curious about what others think? And why this trend has taken off?

The TV is in the bar area of the restaurant, so I assume it is there for the folks who sit at the bar. Albeit it is a small restaurant so you can see it from most of the tables, but I didn't find it distracting. The sound is kept off.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#20 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

Okay, we went in and gave them another try. No hiccups in service this time. We were seated and served promptly. The service was very attentive. They are very happy to be in the area and very happy with the internet attention they have received. We ordered our standard dishes so we could compare them with other favorite Chinese restaurants in Folsom, T2Yuan and Hop Sings. I think Folsom Asian Palace will be added to the line-up, but we'll still be hitting Hop Sings on a regular basis and T2 Yuan for a quick, easy and delicious lunch. We wish Asian Palace all the best and I'm sure they'll do very well in Folsom.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#21 Pepe Barsa

Pepe Barsa

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

I went there with a couple of friends last Wednesday. They heard that it's brand new, so give it a try. I didn't expect much cause' I had never been a fan of Chinese food.....
BUT!!!! What a surprise!!!
First of all, the restaurant is beautiful inside.
The service was also great. We had pot sticker and hot&sour soup for appetizer. The pot stickers were wonderful! The waitress said there are fresh made from scratch every morning. Yum!!!!
The orange chicken I had was also delicious. Tender and flavorful.
For sure will go back

Edited by Pepe Barsa, 16 July 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#22 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

I went back with a group of friends today and once again service and food were excellent! The soup of the day, served with the lunch special, was hot and sour soup and it was delicious. Our group ordered a few prawn dishes and a few chicken dishes and the owner surprised us with a plate of Hunan Chicken (I don't normally order fried food, but the Hunan Chicken was tasty and wasn't greasy at all). :2thumbsup:
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#23 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

Nicer than the average Chinese restaurant with white tablecloths and real napkins; tasteful decor, classical music, and waiters in proper attire.

My family had the Shanghai Pork, Beijing Beef, and Hunan Chicken. Everything was very good.

Also a bit pricier than the average Chinese restaurants with entrees between $10 and $15.

#24 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Nicer than the average Chinese restaurant with white tablecloths and real napkins; tasteful decor, classical music, and waiters in proper attire.

My family had the Shanghai Pork, Beijing Beef, and Hunan Chicken. Everything was very good.

Also a bit pricier than the average Chinese restaurants with entrees between $10 and $15.

True, they're a little more expensive, but the servings are large (yeah for leftovers!) and the quality is top notch. :cheer:
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#25 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

True, they're a little more expensive, but the servings are large (yeah for leftovers!) and the quality is top notch. :cheer:

we didn't find ourselves with a lot of left overs, in comparison with some other Folsom Chinese restaurants.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#26 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

we didn't find ourselves with a lot of left overs, in comparison with some other Folsom Chinese restaurants.

I found quantities to be about average. Five of us were well fed with three meat entrees.

I do agree that quality was better than average.

Price was ok for the ambiance, but will be a factor in favor of picking a place like Rice Express instead for more casual family (of 5) dining occasions.

We may have to time our visits around lunchtime :).

#27 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

I hate to report that we went there for dinner Friday night and were pretty disappointed. The service was SO slow and they weren't that busy. They brought out two serving pieces that actually still had price tags on them so they obviously hadn't been washed before using. Yikes. My tea cup was full of cardboard box dust. Very obvious in a black cup.

They brought out the appetizers and we had explained that we weren't sharing dishes but they only brought out one of the 4 entrees and started serving it to all of us. We had explained twice that we would serve ourselves. It was a good 15 minutes before the other 3 entrees came out. One person ate and was finished before the others even got their food.

My husband twice asked for a beer and it took FOREVER to get. We asked for extra sauce for one of the appetizers and she didn't bring it until we had our entrees.

The food was fine but nothing we'd be excited to go have again. For average food, it was expensive.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#28 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

It's hard to beat Emperor's Garden for fast, cheap and pretty good typical Chinese food.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#29 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

It may sound like jumping on the bandwagon but these positive reviews are spot on accurate!

Our family went late in the evening the other weekend and it was a great dinner. The waiter was very professional (water glasses never lower than half and it was a hot day so we drank alot of water). Some of the manners or ways the wait staff serve their customers is normally found in high end restaurants. To that note, the nice decor John spoke of matches the service and the food so it is welcome by me even though John is also correct that it is unusual in a location like that. Its the little things like serving the wontons tableside in a waiter/captain style vs. just setting the app plate on the table.

Food, service, decor all were excellent. This is our new place for Asian cuisine in Folsom. BTW John and Steve, the owner loves MyFolsom.com... he knows that many of his customers are MyFolsom members :D:.

Toby Keith's new place should go to Folsom Palace and take notes how to open a restaurant. FP has been open 2-3 wks yet has VERY positive reviews unlike TK which has been open longer and still has neg feedback.

#30 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

I hate to report that we went there for dinner Friday night and were pretty disappointed. The service was SO slow and they weren't that busy. They brought out two serving pieces that actually still had price tags on them so they obviously hadn't been washed before using. Yikes. My tea cup was full of cardboard box dust. Very obvious in a black cup.

They brought out the appetizers and we had explained that we weren't sharing dishes but they only brought out one of the 4 entrees and started serving it to all of us. We had explained twice that we would serve ourselves. It was a good 15 minutes before the other 3 entrees came out. One person ate and was finished before the others even got their food.

My husband twice asked for a beer and it took FOREVER to get. We asked for extra sauce for one of the appetizers and she didn't bring it until we had our entrees.

The food was fine but nothing we'd be excited to go have again. For average food, it was expensive.

Wow, I'm really sorry you had such a negative experience. :( It doesn't even sound like the same restaurant I've been going to. One night it was slower than the other nights we had visited, but it was super busy and they were doing take-out orders, too, and we just enjoyed our time there. But your service issues are beyond being busy and need to be addressed.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users