14 replies to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

As part of my training to become a CASA I visited the Children's Receiving Home of Sacramento. Some info from http://www.crhkids.org/ regarding the purpose/services of this facility:

At any given time, any day of the year, a child may be brought to the Children’s Receiving Home seeking a safe place to receive things many of us can take for granted: Food, shelter, clothing and more. Children who come to the Receiving Home are given all this and more. Each program and service we provide was specifically designed to meet the needs of abused and neglected children and their families in our community.

The Children's Receiving Home of Sacramento is the safety net for the area's abused and neglected children between the ages of 1 and 17. As the only emergency shelter of its kind in Sacramento County, in effect; we act as the "front door" of the child protective system. With a daily capacity of 98, we serve between 1,200 and 1,800 children each year. As the crucial first link in the County's early intervention system, we provide proven strategies that stabilize, normalize, and produce improved long term outcomes for children.

These children have been abused, neglected, abandoned, or have families who are otherwise unable to care for them. While their family situation is being stabilized or alternative care with relatives or others is secured, the children are provided with an array of much needed services and most importantly they are given hope!

The average length of stay for a child is around 40 days. While in our care each child at the Children's Receiving Home receives an array of services including food, shelter, clothing, 24-hour staffing and support, counseling, social work, activities and recreation, mental health services, psychological intervention, medical and dental care, and are able to attend an on-grounds school. Our programs ensure the well being of each individual child.

Because children are typically brought there with the clothes or jammines on their backs, the receiving home is always in need of clothing, shoes, and other items for children of all ages -- infants to teens. They always need items for their Point Store (items children can "buy" with points they earn each week); such items could include art supplies, games, toys, etc. (See their "Point Store" link.) They also accept other donations and have a variety of fund raising activities throughout the year; these opportunities are listed on their site.

They also rely on volunteers for a wide variety of services, including reading to and playing with the children, organizing clothing that has been donated, offering music lessons, leading arts and crafts activities, teaching budgeting skills, teaching computer skills, helping with homework, and just visiting with children who have no family members who visit.

There are many worthy organizations and causes out there, but I hope you will consider this one when you have items or time to donate.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 mikat

mikat

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

Deb;

Thank you so much for bringing this very essential and deserving agency to the attention of myfolsom.com members.

Just as an FYI to everyone--The Children's Receiving Home is not a County agency. It is a separate agency that the County contracts with to provide services/shelter to our abused/neglected children. (CRH employees are not County employees.) CPS and the Receiving Home are hurting in these dire economic times--just when the need is the greatest--and can use your help.

Thank you Deb for providing your time (and probably money) to help our kids.

#3 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

Thank you for the kind words, Milkat. Children in the foster care system have so many needs and the funding keeps getting cut. Anyone can make a difference in the life of abused and neglected children through small donations of time and/or resources.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#4 thememories

thememories

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:45 AM

Thank you for this! Time for a Spring cleaning! Everything they could possibly use (a lot of stuff I no longer need) will be brought to them!
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken,
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth’s unknown, although his height be taken.
Love’s not Time’s fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Whithin his bending sickle’s compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error, and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Shakespeare, Sonnet 116.

#5 bookwom

bookwom

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

This is a great cause. My husband's warrant officer association goes there every Christmas time and gives each kid a new pair of shoes.

I went to a wedding at a small event center with a patio. I was told that the waiters and bartenders were volunteers, and the money went to the Children's Receiving home. I forget the name of the facility. Do you know it?
I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

The Folsom 20-30 club volunteered last December... we sorted Christmas presents... and I'm sure we'll be back sooner or later. It's a terrific organization.

So's CASA!
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

smile.gif
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#8 mikat

mikat

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

Bookworm;
Are you sure that wasn't Sacramento Chidren's Home and not the Chidren's Receiving Home that you were thinking about? People confuse the two all of the time. The Sacramento Children's Home is on Sutterville Road , across the street from Curtis Park. It is a beautiful old building that was once an orphanage. It is now a group home for children with mental health and behavioral problems. (A good number of the children that reside at the Sacramento Children's Home are Dependents of the Court,... that is, part of the CPS system.)
They do have weddings and luncheons there and a gift shop (La Casita). (It is a beautiful venue.) Volunteers for the Children's Home work in the gift shop as well as serving.

The Receiving Home is on Auburn Blvd, near Watt Ave.
It houses abused and neglected children when they are first coming into the system. It is the Receiving Home where law enforcement or a social worker takes a child when they are first removed from their home.

SCH (Sacramento Children's Home) is more well known, having been around for about a hundred and forty years. It often overshadows CRH (Children's Receiving Home) and tends to get a lot more of the "old money" and "big money" of Sacramento (and their attention). ...which is one reason the Receiving Home needs all the help it can get.

By the way, the Receiving Home has a small school on site. I'm sure they could use school supplies, and/or your time, and/or money as well.
You'd have to check with them, but I think they could also use multiple tickets to events like Kings games, Rivercats, the zoo etc. There may be some problems with that, especially arranging the transportation and chaperone's--which is why I say check with them first. The logistics may be difficult.

#9 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:23 PM

I received an "ask" letter from the Receiving Home today. Their holiday donations were down by 30% and their services are up -- particularly to transition those youth who are aging out of the system. If you feel so inclined, they could really use donations.

Also, a reminder: consider donating clothing to the Receiving Home as you start Spring cleaning and going through your children's wardrobes to see what fits.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#10 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

Deb, I have a bag of clothing all ready to donate and will be going through my kids' things Sunday night. Would it be possible for me to give them to you to donate? I am going to be going out of town next week to visit my ill father and then moving shortly after my return so I know I'll be very busy.

#11 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (cw68 @ Mar 31 2010, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Deb, I have a bag of clothing all ready to donate and will be going through my kids' things Sunday night. Would it be possible for me to give them to you to donate? I am going to be going out of town next week to visit my ill father and then moving shortly after my return so I know I'll be very busy.

Yep, you can drop it by. Call me when you're ready. smile.gif Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear your father is ill, and will keep a good thought for him.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#12 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Mar 31 2010, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I received an "ask" letter from the Receiving Home today. Their holiday donations were down by 30% and their services are up -- particularly to transition those youth who are aging out of the system. If you feel so inclined, they could really use donations.

Also, a reminder: consider donating clothing to the Receiving Home as you start Spring cleaning and going through your children's wardrobes to see what fits.

I imagine wherever you go places like this are (more or less) the same, but do you know if all receiving homes take donations? I'll have to check around for one in SJ and call them, cause that's a good idea. I have lots of clothes to get rid of that the older teen guys could get some use out of, and also books and electronics.

I'd feel better doing that than just giving to Goodwill.

#13 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Mar 31 2010, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, you can drop it by. Call me when you're ready. smile.gif Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear your father is ill, and will keep a good thought for him.

Thanks, I'd love to contribute to a great cause. And thanks for the thoughts on my Dad. Brain cancer is not fun. sad.gif I miss my old Dad.

#14 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (Oldschooler81 @ Apr 1 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I imagine wherever you go places like this are (more or less) the same, but do you know if all receiving homes take donations? I'll have to check around for one in SJ and call them, cause that's a good idea. I have lots of clothes to get rid of that the older teen guys could get some use out of, and also books and electronics.

I'd feel better doing that than just giving to Goodwill.

OldSchooler, you can call California Children Services (CCS) of Santa Clara County to inquire about a similar facility in the San Jose area. they can be reached at (408) 792-5200.

OR, inquire with the Silicon Valley CASA office: (408) 416-0400.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#15 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Apr 2 2010, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OldSchooler, you can call California Children Services (CCS) of Santa Clara County to inquire about a similar facility in the San Jose area. they can be reached at (408) 792-5200.

OR, inquire with the Silicon Valley CASA office: (408) 416-0400.

Wow thanks Deb. I'll definitely call them tomorrow or on Monday (if they're unavailable on weekends).

I just think it'll be a nice thing to give to someone (esp kids or teens) who needs it.

I love going to Goodwill, and there's times I've looked around just for fun after I donated something to see if I could find it, and sometimes I can't at all. Of course that doesn't mean the employees are swiping it, but you never know. This way I'll know it'll get to the people who could use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users