7 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 03:06 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...3,75448,00.html

... the rundown of it - students, friends, and family of the kids killed at Columbine High School were given the opportunity to create 4x4 square tiles commemorating those lost at the Columbine shootings. All the tiles that have crosses, or any references to God have been removed.

#2 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 08:14 PM

Well John... Now you know why I have no respect at all for the people who work in "government run" schools...

The constitution does not forbid this sort of thing... and it never did.. it only says that the government can not establish a state religion... but the nice folks at the ACLU and the politically correct liberal education establishment types think that this is offensive to some people... so I guess they are all afraid someone will sue... heck someone should......

This is their usual crap... another battle in the culture war that we lost...

#3 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 11:39 PM

What a world... while I don't agree with everyone's religion, I personally think this is a direct attack on America's freedom OF religion. The school administration really should be ashamed of themselves.
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#4 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 06:04 AM

This is from the Boston Globe. Unfortunately, this country is heading toward a Godless society. I wonder where we will be without God:

Read:

Supreme Court justice says courts misinterpreting church-state separation
By Gina Holland, Associated Press, 1/12/2003 19:05
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. (AP) Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia complained Sunday that courts have gone overboard in keeping God out of government.

Scalia, speaking at a religious ceremony, said the constitutional wall between church and state has been misinterpreted both by the Supreme Court and lower courts.

As an example, he pointed to a ruling in California that barred students from saying the Pledge of Allegiance with the phrase ''one nation under God.''

That appeals court decision is on hold pending further consideration by the same court, but the Supreme Court could eventually be asked to review the case.

Scalia, the main speaker at an event for Religious Freedom Day, said past rulings by his own court gave the judges in the Pledge case ''some plausible support'' to reach that conclusion.

However, the justice said he believes such decisions should be made legislatively, not by courts.

The rally-style event drew a lone protester, who silently held a sign promoting the separation of church and state.

''The sign back here which says `Get religion out of government,' can be imposed on the whole country. I have no problem with that philosophy being adopted democratically. If the gentleman holding the sign would persuade all of you of that, then we could eliminate `under God' from the Pledge of Allegiance. That could be democratically done,'' said Scalia.

The rest of the crowd repeatedly cheered Scalia, whose son, Paul, is a priest at a nearby Catholic church. The justice, also a Catholic, is a father of nine.

Several hundred people joined him in singing ''God Bless America'' after a brief parade through downtown.

''He's the voice of reason on the Supreme Court,'' said Jim McFall, a retired FBI agent who organized the Knights of Columbus parade. ''His remarks were right on the money. The pendulum has swung too far and people have said `enough is enough.' We'll see it swing back.''

Scalia used the event to repeat criticisms that the Constitution is being liberally interpreted. ''It is a Constitution that morphs while you look at it like Plasticman,'' he said.

The Constitution says the government cannot ''establish'' or promote religion, but Scalia said the framers did not intend for God to be stripped from public life.

''That is contrary to our whole tradition, to `in God we trust' on the coins, to (presidential) Thanksgiving proclamations, to (congressional) chaplains, to tax exemption for places of worship, which has always existed in America.''

sad.gif-->pissed.gif sad.gif-->pissed.gif

#5 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 16 January 2003 - 12:39 PM

Not all "Liberals" think alike. I consider myself to be very liberal and I disagree with the Columbine ruling. I believe it is natural and necessary for people to turn torwards religion/God in order to cope with tradgedy. I feel it would be a huge mistake to leave out the tiles that make references torwards God or display crosses. These children are trying to make sense of something that will never make sense and we should not tell them that their way of coping with the deaths and honoring their classmates is unacceptable. Unless their tiles were truly offensive (i.e. foul language, racist symbols or the like) or made statments that condemed anyone elses religion or lack there of...I don't see any problem with them. I also think it is ridiculous to take down the "Americian Flag" from any public building or business in America because someone may find it offensive. What country is this again? As far as "One nation under God" and "In God we trust" the jury's still out. I personally believe in God and have no problem with it but there are a lot of Americans that do not believe in God. Do these statements contradict the Separation of Church and State? Maybe...
The fact that the "One Nation under God" line was added to the pledge in the 50's makes it suspect but even if it was taken out, I'd still say it! All in all, I don't think this issue is as important as people make it out to be. Whether or not they change these phrases, thoses of us who choose so will still believe in God and those of you who don't, wont. A phrase on a coin or in the pledge (or lack there of) will not change our morality as a Nation. After all, it's our job as parents to raise moral children not our Governments! As always, just my opinion!

Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#6 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 01:56 PM

The Jury is still out in "god we trust" and "under god"....?

Where in the constitution does it say that these words either on our money or in our pledge are unconstitutional....? it doesn't... only forbids the establishment of a state church... this doesn't fit that your friends at the ACLU will pervert our constitution against us....

What we have is a tyranny of the minority... the minority is going to have to learn to accept the majority rule... seems real simple to me...

We just don't have to stand for it anymore if we don't want to...

#7 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:10 PM

Another example of the extreamists who have promoted the "politically/cultural correct" stupidity! Everyone is terrified of "being sued" in this era ofoutrageous friviolous lawsuit actions of greedy people and lawyers!

The "public" American cemetery in France has headstones of many religions of those who fought & died in WWII!!

The leaders of many institutions both private and govermental seem to have no sanity and maturity in their outlook today.

Just my opinion, also!

#8 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:14 PM

My friends at the ACLU? Last time I checked, we had never met. Funny that you seem to know who my friends are. I have no problem that you have a different opinion than mine. I think this world would be rather boring if we all held the same point of view. However, I find it rather presumptious of you to assume you know anything about me other than my political leanings. I'm sure you would agree that not all Conservatives are cut from the same cloth...same holds true with us Liberals. Frankly, I'm a little bored with the whole labling thing anyway. cool.gif
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users