1 reply to this topic

#1 energysaver

energysaver

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:09 PM

I moved into this neighborhood 1.5 yrs ago and I love it. biggrin.gif Today I had a SMUD contractor come out to just to check my home air ducts to see if they were sealed ok, no problems with my heating and a/d, just wanted peace of mind that the ducts were sealed. I was quite surprised to learn the furnace (located in my attic) was on the brink of collapsing due to the unit standing in rusty water and corroding the entire unit. This also means I have been breathing the a/c air from the standing water which is how people can get Legionaires disease, not a good thing. I hadnt even noticed any problems. But this hazard was an accident waiting to happen, sad.gif which was not spotted in my home inspection and would have cost me a ton of $$ when it collapsed thru my ceiling. The air duct inspector guy took photos to show me the problems so this is not a scam. (I am happy to provide you with extra details if youre interested but I wont bore u with the details in this posting) the point is this was a VERY faulty installation which is fraught with huge problems -has any one else experience this? I was competely unaware, only discovered today by accident of having my ducts checked out. My advise: PLEASE HAVE a reputable HVAC service call done to check your furnace if you live in this neighborhood, an air duct test is about $35-$50 believe me its $$ well spent to avoid a future disaster from happening in case you have a poorly installed furnace like mine.

#2 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:34 PM

Have you checked to see if you have mold? YOu can have a mold inspection like a pest inspection, but it is different. They come out and take air samples and wood samples and stuff, then take it to a lab and see if there is black mold or other bad mold (other colors I guess). A pest inspection does not do that and most home purchases are done without mold inspections. I've seen a couple of mold inspections in the past, but it was done by a very diligent person who wanted to be sure there was no mold in their house. It can be expensive, a few hundred dollars, but it's worth a peace of mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users