3 replies to this topic

#1 April

April

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 04:27 PM

Let's see, after my husband and I moved into our new home here in Folsom, and found out about how the developers had gone to the trouble to pass a law that said they didn't have to pay the property tax on the land or the house they built on it, should we have thanked them??? I don't think so! We had to dig up a lot of cash for those good old supplimental taxes the county billed us. WE paid for the taxes back before we EVER SAW the house and decide to buy it! Our lovely Sacto. county kept re-appraising the value, every time something was done, so by the time the house was completed, there was about $3,000 in taxes we were expected to pay, on top of what was added after we signed our escrow agreement. So we paid the taxes on the house we were selling AND ALL the taxes on the house we were buying from the time the builder bought the property! Isn't THAT nice?
The powerful developers were able to shift those taxes onto our laps, by passing a law, because they said they weren't making enough money.
Come'n people! Would you continue working at some job you DIDN'T make money on???? Don't insult my intelligence!
What the truth was, is that they didn't make the money THEY WANTED TO MAKE! In no other county I know of, is this the tax law, other than the Sacto. county.

Then there were the defects that we were told would be fixed. We stood on our heads and begged and pleaded, but the builder always had some excuse why they couldn't fix them and wanted us to just turn the key over to them while we were at work during the day. They wanted to come and go, in and out of our home, whenever they wanted to do a repair. That idea made us uncomfortable, as I'm sure it would to most people. They couldn't manage to come when we tried to make an appointment and take off early from work.
We'd make appointments and they wouldn't show up.
It was like it was going to be THEIR WAY OR NOTHING.
Then the few repairs they did make, they did WRONG! My husband ended up doing what they SHOULD have done because he said they wouldn't do it right anyway, and they just kept making excuses. Now I expect the walls to come down, or the wiring to cause a fire, because if they can not fix a simple repair, I'm thinking, how could they build a proper house?
Should we have THANKED them for all the stress we went through?????
I DON"T THINK SO!

I know hundreds of people who have been through the same thing, not to mention those who have had to take these, oh so nice developers, to court, to get them to do what's right.
I don't understand about how some people think we should be so grateful for the people who are giving us services. WE PAY THEM what they charge and that's not always a small fee! They are doing a job and we agree to pay them. It is NOT something they do for the public good or because they are civic minded!!!
So please, don't ask me to bow down to people who are in this community working, just like the rest of us.
I don't expect others to bow down to me or thank me for doing MY job.
I'm doing my job to get paid, not to be a good citizen. I sure don't think I deserve to be slapped on the back and thanked for doing MY job.
If I didn't get my pay check, you can be darn sure I'd not be working!
And if these developers and other workers did not get paid enough, you can be darn sure they would be outta here in a hurry!

#2 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 08:56 PM

April, who was your developer? Sounds like Kaufman & Broad to me! blink.gif
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#3 wmmarinevet2002

wmmarinevet2002

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (April @ Nov 1 2002, 04:27 PM)
So please, don't ask me to bow down to people who are in this community working, just like the rest of us.
I don't expect others to bow down to me or thank me for doing MY job.
I'm doing my job to get paid, not to be a good citizen. I sure don't think I deserve to be slapped on the back and thanked for doing MY job.
If I didn't get my pay check, you can be darn sure I'd not be working!
And if these developers and other workers did not get paid enough, you can be darn sure they would be outta here in a hurry!

Please tell me you are not lumping "developers" and the "people who are in this community working" in one category.

First of all, the DEVELOPERS are rich wealthy businessmen who you probably would not see on a daily basis lifting a hammer and nailing the frame onto your homes. They are definitely not going to be the people who will knock on your door to fix your broken toilet or water pipes. They hire hard working people to that job for them. Now, whether they are qualified to do the job is another question.

As for the PEOPLE WHO WORK IN THIS COMMUNITY, they very much deserve yours and everyone who lives in Folsom's gratitude because they provide a much needed service that we ALL enjoy - for very little pay.

Do not lump both populations of people in one general category.

If you don't appreciate the people who work in this community, I suggest you drive yourself to another city (Rancho Cordova) to get your grocery shopping, dry cleaning, ice cream, hair cuts, coffee, mail, and gasoline.

I can understand your frustration with these Developers and their maintenance workers, but please don't make general statements about ALL of the people who work in Folsom.

#4 April

April

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 07:00 PM

First let me say that I respectfully recognize your right to give gratitude to those you feel
deserve it.
However, I have that same right. Whether you recognize my right or not, DOES NOT
make it less so.

I do not feel people work in this community because they are trying to do a kindness, as
you would make it sound. Most of the time it just happens that this was where the job
they wanted was located. Period.
And I understand that the rich developers are not the same people who are actually doing
the labor of building houses. The fact that those workers make a small wage, is besides
the point.

However, I still hold to my statement that people work to make money, and their “Thank
You” is their pay check. To say they deserve gratitude, is saying their payment is not
enough or that they are doing their job merely because they wish to do good civic deeds
for the community without payment. Both of us know this is not correct.
These people are free to leave and go to other jobs, in other communities, just as I am.
And they no doubt will if their pay is cut or their needs are not met. I don’t think they will
give a second thought to leaving or feel guilty about it, and they shouldn’t.

My husband and I are generous in giving tips when the service is good and never fail to
say “Thank You” when a service is given, even if it be poor. We are very respectful to
those behind counters and those who wait on us when we go out to eat. This is just
common decency.
At Christmas time we give gifts of candy or cookies to our hair dresser, our dentist and
other people who we go to regularly as a way to show our gratitude.
You are entitled to do like wise or anything else you wish to do to show your gratitude to
those who have given you service or sold you goods.
But what we are talking about is something else and frankly, a little silly.

If you disagree with me, that is your right, and I will fight for your right to do so.
But I will not reply to further posts and make this an on going argument with you, or
anyone else.
As with a lot of things said on this board, arguments go back and forth and become
personal, when they should not.
As mature adults we can agree, to disagree, and go on the other topics, out of respect for
the others who visit this message board.

Thank you for your thoughts...........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users