#1 notsure

notsure

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Everything food...

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:30 AM

We are planning to rip the carpets and install laminate flooring. My questions are

1. Is it a good idea to leave the carpets in the bedrooms?

2. We are planning to get a quote from Sunshine services, anyone else that you have used?

I am totally confused if I should leave the bedrooms as is..

Thanks smile.gif

#2 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:42 AM

When we moved in our house, we ripped out all the carpet and put wood flooring in every room (except the kitchen and bathrooms, which were tiled). With three young kids, I thought that was the best choice, as in less mess. After a year, though, we ended up putting carpet back in the bedrooms. I missed having carpet in the bedrooms, plus I was forever sweeping the kids' bedrooms...you cannot imagine how much dust and dog hair can accumulate under the beds! Of course, it gets just as dirty with carpet, but at least you cannot see every spec of dirt.

Plus side, if the kids spill something on wood flooring, it's a quick clean up. With carpeting, you might get a permanent stain.

#3 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(notsure @ Jun 19 2007, 10:30 AM) View Post
We are planning to rip the carpets and install laminate flooring. My questions are

2. We are planning to get a quote from Sunshine services, anyone else that you have used?

Thanks smile.gif

I think hardwood or laminate is great in dining rooms, family rooms or great rooms but would not put it in a bedroom. Who wants to get out of bed in their bare feet onto a cold wood floor? smile.gif Just my opinion but it seems to me that a bedroom is the place for carpeting.

#4 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:50 AM

Yeah, I'm a big fan of carpet in bedrooms.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#5 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:04 AM

I've had both hardwood and carpet in bedrooms and I prefer the hardwood with a rug. But, I'm not a carpeting fan.

#6 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:05 AM

You could just put a hard floor (laminate or wood) in the bedrooms and lay a rug down. The rugs can be replaced if they get stained. When the kids get old enough that they are less rough on your house then would be the time to scale up.

Ofcoarse the same could be said for carpet. Maybe leave it as it is and when the kids have gotten past their most destructive years (muddy shoes and spills) then maybe replace it with something you really love.

The households I see most often with hard floors in the bedrooms are families who have asthmatic children. Dust and dander and allergens are the quickest way to set off an attack.
If you have kids with severe allergies it may be better to have hard floors with a small play rug that is easily washed or replaced.

Because of asthma and allergies as well as wear and tear all military housing these days is tiled, or laminate. Yes you have to vacuum every day--but it does help to keep allergens out of your house.

#7 notsure

notsure

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Everything food...

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards leaving the bedrooms as is and do the laminate for the other rooms. That is my thought, lets see what DH has to say ... rolleyes.gif

#8 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:28 AM

Nice thing about laminate is you can always put more in if you want it.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#9 bv1016

bv1016

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:31 PM

Laminate! I just put Laminate in my master in October and love it. I picked up a decent size rug tight woven at Lowes and it is perfect. As far as cols feet... my laminate is never cold, not like tile might be. It does need to be swept often, but we use the Roomba, just turn it on and close the door. Or use a wet/dry stick vac, they're great too. We are definitely doing the kids room next. If you are looking for rugs, when S&G carpet has rug sales, you cannot beat it, I got a nice 11 X 8 foot rug for 99$!!

#10 lisasellshouses

lisasellshouses

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE(notsure @ Jun 19 2007, 10:30 AM) View Post

Thanks smile.gif

I recommend Nationwide Floor Coverings- Jeff Lovelace...local owner....955-7757

Lisa Gerber
VP of Cheer
Folsom Jr Bulldogs
www.folsomjrbulldogs.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users