• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AmethystHaze

AmethystHaze

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Anime, dance, video games, cosplaying, art, photoshop, food[cooking?], horseback riding, other recreational stuff. =]

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:53 PM

I have a Syrian Teddy Bear hamster [name: Panda] that I've had for about 4-6 months [I don't quite remember] and it was probably a month or less old when I got it. My friend and I are interested in breeding my Syrian Teddy Bear hamster and she wants to get a European Black Bear Syrian hamster.

I know there's some risks, like potential harm to my Panda, scary stuff like cannibalism [since it would be her first pregnancy], the cage will smell [I will have the pregnant hamster and my friend will have the male with her], I know generally what to do while Panda is pregnant...

But does anyone have any tips just in case? Or any warnings? [Like, someone told me that sometimes the hamster stuffs the pups in her cheeks to hide them, but sometimes they die that way.] >_<; Does cannibalism make Panda sick? Etc. [The cannibalism is the only thing I'm concerned about.]

Any help would be great. =]

If the litter grows up successfully, I'll be doing my best to give them homes to my classmates, to the members of my anime club, and post small ads; all so I can fundraise my anime club just a little, while getting some interesting experience as well.

Again, any advice would be helpful happy.gif Thanks.

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

I did a google search for "Breeding Hamsters" and got numerous hits. Have you tried searching the Internet and/or are you just looking for personal experience tips?
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 AmethystHaze

AmethystHaze

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Anime, dance, video games, cosplaying, art, photoshop, food[cooking?], horseback riding, other recreational stuff. =]

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Feb 2 2007, 10:17 PM) View Post
I did a google search for "Breeding Hamsters" and got numerous hits. Have you tried searching the Internet and/or are you just looking for personal experience tips?

Just looking for some personal experience. I looked through a couple of hamster breeding websites.

#4 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:09 PM

The mother eating the young will not make her sick, and it actually happens quite often.

Just make sure there's no competition for food. If there is she might feel the need to kill the babies.

Unfortunately, you just have to be pro-choice to breed rodents. The mothers make the final decision of which pups live and which are snacks. Her hiding them in her cheeks is perfectly normal too.

Don't worry too much about it. Just keep her safe and happy and things will be fine smile.gif Good luck, and take some pictures for us all! Baby hamsters are adorable!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#5 AmethystHaze

AmethystHaze

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Feb 3 2007, 01:09 PM) View Post
The mother eating the young will not make her sick, and it actually happens quite often.

Just make sure there's no competition for food. If there is she might feel the need to kill the babies.

Unfortunately, you just have to be pro-choice to breed rodents. The mothers make the final decision of which pups live and which are snacks. Her hiding them in her cheeks is perfectly normal too.

Don't worry too much about it. Just keep her safe and happy and things will be fine smile.gif Good luck, and take some pictures for us all! Baby hamsters are adorable!

Ah, ok. Thanks Mylo. happy.gif Myawn... Not looking forward to seeing potential cannibalism, but I feed Panda regularly; so she shouldn't feel pressed for food :x

I'll definently take pictures xD I'm looking forward to being able to play with the baby hamsters later.

#6 blonde74

blonde74

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:26 AM

Try a class of wine....it worked for my mother and father tongue.gif

#7 AmethystHaze

AmethystHaze

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(blonde74 @ Feb 6 2007, 10:26 AM) View Post
Try a class of wine....it worked for my mother and father tongue.gif

Lol. I don't know how to interpret that XD

#8 caspertheghost

caspertheghost

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Raising and Showing cavies/guinea pigs... breeds: Abyssinians, Americans, Coronets, and Peruvians. :)

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:58 PM

If she is from a petstore, I wouldn't breed her. Most petstore animals are the "junk" of animal breeders. A lot of petstore animals come from mill breeders, or breeders that aren't that great, and can have sickly animals, ones that are pregnant, or mites/lice, etc. If you want to get into hamster breed, I'd advise you find a responsible breeder that has a healthy herd of hamsters that are pedigreed.

http://groups.msn.co...ssageboard.msnw -you could probably find a good hamster breeder there.

http://www.hammyswor...sters_breeding1 -About breeding hamsters.

Since I don't have any hamsters, let alone breed them, I really can't help you on personal experience, but can give you links to breeders or information on breeding hamsters. Type in "Hamster Forums" and find some popular ones that you could join and ask for advice.

Do you have the money to bring your hamster to the vet if she has complications? Do you have homes for the babies? Or can you keep them? They can have quite a few pups.

If you are open to breeding cavies or whatnot, I could hook you up with all that information and breeders. I have quite a few nice quality pedigree pigs... some showable, longhairs, Abys, shorthairs, etc. Hardly any people breeding cavies, especially in Folsom. It'd be cool to see some others joining the hobby! There are cavy shows around here. Maybe if you are at all interested, you could go to the Fresno CA Convention, March 31-April 1. Or e-mail me about cavies. But I don't think your interested, since you want to breed hamsters. Thankfully, cavies usually only have 2-4 pups on average. Plus you can show them, like rabbits, and whatnot.
You know you can't say no to a face as cute as her...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users