• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Did you find a red, purple and whit 'Stormchaser' rocket in your yard? It was launched from Natoma Station and drifted somewhere between the school and Prairie Oaks. I'll give you4 RiverCats tix if you found it!

#2 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

We did not, but if you can get OURS down from the tree next to the tennis courts at Ed Mitchell Park let me know, it's about 40' up!!
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#3 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

That's funny!
We are at home right now, making an air propelled rocket for technology class.

*Note the we..?Posted Image

#4 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

I was under the impression that rocket launches (at least flammable fuel based ones) were not allowed in Folsom. Is it ok to launch in town after all?

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

I was under the impression that rocket launches (at least flammable fuel based ones) were not allowed in Folsom. Is it ok to launch in town after all?

Really??

Are you talking about the hobby ones?

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

I looked into it before. You need a permit from FFD, and they'll charge you a fee for processing it. Can't recall off the top of my head what the fee was; it seemed reasonable for evaluating to the stated requirements but completely unreasonable for a kid to launch a model rocket.

http://www.folsom.ca.us/depts/fire/services/fire_prevention_division/hot_topics.asp
http://www.folsom.ca.us/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=6996

Also: So far as I have been able to determine, it's completely illegal in El Dorado County, same as other fireworks.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#7 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

I looked into it before. You need a permit from FPD, and they'll charge you a fee for processing it. Can't recall off the top of my head what the fee was; it seemed reasonable for evaluating to the stated requirements but completely unreasonable for a kid to launch a model rocket.

http://www.folsom.ca.us/depts/fire/services/fire_prevention_division/hot_topics.asp
http://www.folsom.ca.us/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=6996

Also: So far as I have been able to determine, it's completely illegal in El Dorado County, same as other fireworks.

Seriously? Time to move to Canada.

Jimi Hendrix

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

The phrase, "It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission," comes to mind.

#9 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Or just out of California...

We launch ours all the time and I don't even think twice about it. Just use a little common sense about when and where you launch and you'll be OK.

#10 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

I used to launch model rockets all the time when I was a kid from local parks, local schools etc....

What a racket, now kids have to pay cities to be allowed to launch toy rockets???- ridiculous!!

#11 FolsomEJ

FolsomEJ

All Star

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Yeah, maybe the regulations are overboard. I'll give you that.

However...maybe if folks are losing rockets, it is an indication that they are not completely in control of them. Maybe that leads to regulation? I'm just saying...

#12 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, maybe the regulations are overboard. I'll give you that.

However...maybe if folks are losing rockets, it is an indication that they are not completely in control of them. Maybe that leads to regulation? I'm just saying...

So we need a REGULATION for that? Cause I'm telling you, when that .5 lb rocket falls out of the sky (on a parachute) those poor little chickens better watch out! Yea, our legislature should surely have bigger problems than that.

How about some legislation for dogs on drivers laps? Now THERE is a real problem. Or even SOME kind of law about lost tennis balls at the same tennis courts we lost our rocket. Sure are a LOT of balls outside the fence, something tells me they are not completely in control of those either. Where IS the justice?!

Jimi Hendrix

#13 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

I have successfully received a permit to launch model rockets (and store the engines). It wasn't a huge deal, however you need permissions from the parks department as well as the fire department. I don't think there was any fee (although there are fees for other fire department permits). The permit had a limited time (now expired).
The park people are concerned with rockets entering higher traffic roads and scaring drivers. Apparently the parks dept had a specific park selected for rocket launching, but construction has (temporarily?) removed it as the current candidate.

Coincidentally we also lost one of the rockets during the experience. I know where it went, but getting it off of the roof of a two story home never happened. I was hoping stronger winds would have worked - they didn't.

#14 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

I have successfully received a permit to launch model rockets (and store the engines). It wasn't a huge deal, however you need permissions from the parks department as well as the fire department. I don't think there was any fee (although there are fees for other fire department permits). The permit had a limited time (now expired).
The park people are concerned with rockets entering higher traffic roads and scaring drivers. Apparently the parks dept had a specific park selected for rocket launching, but construction has (temporarily?) removed it as the current candidate.

Coincidentally we also lost one of the rockets during the experience. I know where it went, but getting it off of the roof of a two story home never happened. I was hoping stronger winds would have worked - they didn't.

Do they cause any fire risk? I'm constantly amazed that fireworks are OK in our dry, dry area in the summer.

#15 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

I have a very large ladder if that will help :)

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users