Photo

Is Orangevale Still A Laid Back/safe Area?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:24 PM

The inner city seemed kinda high crime/run down at the time, so it's ironic considering just 15 miles away (maybe even less) it was so safe and suburban. Other than teens playing loud music or doing donuts in a parking lot lol I don't remember anything bad (and even that stuff seems so innocent now).

In 1994 the complex I lived in on Main (between Greenback and Madison) still had that 80s security and friendliness to it, like neighbors looking out for each other. As a kid I even used to cut across the then-field behind the Schools Credit Union to go to the Albertsons center on occasion, or to the Ross and Burger King across the street. I'm not sure how safe it would be for a 12 year old to do that today, especially alone. I also had a maybe mile walk home from school the following year, and I don't remember any dangerous or unnerving situations at all. North Highlands (where my mom worked) was definitely another story.

Was I remembering it wrong and just wondered if the "feeling" has changed at all today?

#2 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

We lived on F/A Rd in the early 90s and agree it was quiet/safe and it hasn't changed much that I know of. Still a mostly built in suburban neighborhood & shops. Perfectly safe day or night

Parts of downtown Sac, South Sac, West Sac may be a different story.

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

Orangevale has not changed much since when you were here. Overall it's a little sleepy in the evenings and is safe.

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

It's kind of hard to gauge. I couldn't find a police log like Folsom has. On the Megan's Law Web site there are 2 and a quarter pages of listed offenders to Folsom's 1 and a quarter.

I bet those places you remember are still safe. They're just not as new. Sometimes older neighborhoods are just that, older, and not necessarily prone to more crime.

#5 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

Yeah, I mean it's a little more built up and remodeled from what I can see on maps post-1996, but I can't see the demographics really changing much. Alot of places are still the same as I recall too. OV really is just the gateway from Fair Oaks to Folsom and maybe because it's older it's also closeknit.

It's kinda neat that apparently Rancho (from the thread I did on that awhile back) is a bit better off too.

#6 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

I agree, Orangevale looks the least changed in 15-20 years out of all the surrounding cities I can think of. I would think Old Schooler would be amazed to see what Roseville looks like today.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

http://www.weservicepools.com/

#7 GCM

GCM

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:46 AM

from my experience its pretty much garbage, except for the big farm estates, its like the dumping ground of Folsom

#8 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

from my experience its pretty much garbage, except for the big farm estates, its like the dumping ground of Folsom

Can you please start to contribute to the topics you post on? All your posts have been negative and do not add any value to the topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users