16 replies to this topic

#1 mckjen

mckjen

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 02:37 PM

I wanted to tell all of Folsom about my experience with the REDRUM Burger they opened in the Folsom Hotel. I have been to the original MURDER Burger and had nothing but great things to say about it. However, I was appalled at the level of service I recieved on Sunday evening (12/8). A friend and myself went in about 8pm for burgers. We should have left immediately after seeing a drunk man lying down outside the place, but we decided to give it a try.

The bar and restaurant are combined in one, so it makes for a very loud meal. We didn't mind because we were starving and wanted a good burger. We ordered and my friend is very particular about food, so she asked specifically for certain items to be left off her burger. So far, everything's good. About 30 minutes later we get our burgers, mine is ok and her's has two items on it she asked the toothless waitress to leave off. She politely called the waitress over and asked her for a new burger as they made hers incorrectly...BE PREPARED FOR WHAT HAPPENS NEXT....
the waitress walks over to the counter and hands the basket to an older gentlreman who then picks up the bun, and meat and inspects the burger, he then slops it back together and slides it back to the kitchen area. 5 minutes later, the waitress emerged with a "new" burger. My friend once again inspects it as she is allergic to mustard and saw that they just gave a new bun and more cheese to cover the mustard on it. KNowing I saw the man handle the burger and they re-served it to us, I called the waitress back.

She became very defensive after we asked for a new burger, and brought the older gentleman over, the owner. The man proceeded to YELL (yes no exaggeration here) that my friend didn't ask for no mustard and he was NOT going to make a new burger. When I brought up the fact I had seen him handle that same burger, patty and all he retorted with, "I have to pick the meat up to cook it anyway. and people at mcdonalds do it this way too". I was literally appaled and simply asked him to cook a new burger for my friend. He refused and asked me if I was in the resuarant business. I laughed and said no but if I were, I would know how to satisfy customers, and treat people with human decency. He then yelled at us to "get the heck out" (his exact words), and pushed the basket of food at my friend.

We left immediately, as this man was in my face and I literally felt threatened by him. Would this have happened if a male were present in our party? I doubt it. I was apalled by the lack of business sense, and just plain human decency this man/place had. I am a firm believer in second chances, but this place derserves none. I am posting this, and have emailed several local newspapers, news statins, and the health and better business bureaus. DO NOT GO THERE, YOU TOO MAY GET HARASSED BY A LOCAL BUSINESS OWNER.

#2 mckjen

mckjen

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 02:39 PM

Ok sorry I got soo flustered I didn't spell check , haha. Also, his words were, "get the heck out" not heck. Believe me it made a differene, what a joke of a business.

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 02:52 PM

you spelled right...

The boards have a filter on it so nasty words get changed to things that are not as impolite... it's just to keep things a little more civil. I think we know what the guy prob'ly said, and I gotta say, that's pretty messed up.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention though... next time, go to Willie's! tongue.gif

#4 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 12 December 2002 - 08:23 PM

If you want a good burger, definitely go to Willies on Riley Street in Folsom. I agree with John.

My family also loves Redrum and we have been to the Redrum Burgers site in Davis and Roseville. We have never been to the one in Folsom and most likely will never go there because it is in a bar.

I don't think it would be an appropriate place to bring my teenage sons.

Is this Redrum in Folsom part of Redrum in Roseville and Davis? If so, you may want to forward your complaint to the owner of the franchise or business.

I'm sure he would not want their reputation to be tainted because of an inexperienced manager or waitress.

Thank you for passing your experience on to others. sad.gif
"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#5 jake

jake

Veteran

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 10:51 PM

I think the guy that owns both Redrums actually lives in Folsom... though I'm not sure, there's a messy squabble over the "original" Murder Burger owners and the new guys - I'm not sure which is which anymore.

I've been there, yeah, it's in a bar, but it's not totally unlike Red Robin or Sudwerk in Sacramento. True, they serve alcohol, but it appears to me that it's kind of a burger joint by day, bar by night.

I wouldn't be surprised if the chef is some salty old cook that's been the bar's cook all this time... probably a little bitter that his bar is being taken over by people other than local yokels!
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."
-Yogi Berra

#6 jenjen

jenjen

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 10:51 PM

I too had a disappointing experience at the REDRUM burger. Went there for lunch (because of a coupon special - they totally botched the coupon- overcharged us). The burgers were nothing special. The buns were too big and stale and the burgers overcooked. Slow service, we had to get our own drink refills.

I'd heard such good things of the one in Davis. This one needs help.

I'd recommend in addition to Willies - if you want a good burger try the Big Dip on Natoma St. by the library. Their pastrami burger is heaven!

jj dry.gif

#7 mckjen

mckjen

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I am from this area and have been to Willie's numerous times and love it. Anywho, to keep you all up to date. I have mailed letters to: City of Folsom, Sacramento County, Sac. County board of health and welfare, channel 3 consumer reports, and Better business bureau. I'm awaiting reponses from all still.

I believe the person that owns Folsom REDRUM is different than original owner of Davis site. Well thanks again for your responses!! xmas.gif usa.gif

#8 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 02:23 PM

Willies is yum yum good cheers.gif

#9 relativelynew

relativelynew

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 01:39 PM

I also had a couple of negative experience at Redrum. I took my wife and 2 kids there one busy night, walked toward the back, and was promised a table in a couple of minutes. Another couple walked in, and grabbed a table as another couple was rising to leave. Instead of being told that someone was waiting for the table, a busboy started cleaning it, and the same employee who had promised me a table went over to deliver menus and take drink orders.

On both occasions when I went there, they made at least one mistake on our order. The waitstaff seems indifferent, the buns are big, dry, and stiff, the burgers virtually flavorless.

You need more than a catchy name and an historic location to make a successful restaurant. If they don't change, they won't be around long.

#10 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 06:51 PM

Willie's Burgers might be good, but check out their health inspection records at this site:

http://www.sacbee.co...inspections.cgi

As for Redrum Burger - I agree, it's not the best (not even close). Jim, the owner, does own the one in Davis, and the one in Rocklin, too. I believe he recently moved to Folsom. For the record, the Folsom Hotel has not been very succesful in getting a food vendor in there. There have been some good attempts, particularly the barbecue guy that was there some years ago. I noted that some previous posts indicated that families didn't care to go there because of the bar atmosphere, but that's no different than Hacienda right across the street, in my opinion.

At any rate, the Folsom Hotel is a historical icon for Folsom, the bar has always been very popular with local old-timers, so it's just a matter of finding a good match for the food vendor.

#11 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 09 January 2003 - 09:19 PM

Terry,

Thanks for the website referral. I'm actually surprised of the outcome of some of the inspections ~ especially from some of my favorite restaurants. I read them all and was quite shocked.

Maybe that will explain the stomach flu my family and I experienced at some of the restaurants.

I appreciate the eye opener.

unsure.gif
"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#12 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 10:37 AM

Yes, Terry, thank you! In the last two areas we lived in, restaurant inspections were much more easily obtainable than here. I'd looked, but could never find a list like the one you linked to. Personally, I love LA county's way of doing it. It feels safer going into a restaurant with a big "A" health rating on it. And we've actually walked away from places with a "C", which is a great incentive for restaurants to shape up. I wish something similar could be done here, but from the SacBee article, it sounds like they're doing well just to be able to inspect each restaurant once a year. Pity to have to compromise with health risks like this.

#13 Irishfireball

Irishfireball

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 11:10 AM

We recently moved to Folsom all the way from Canada. We also had a poor service experience at Murder (Redrum) Burger. The food was good and I always have my meals made special. I do agree that the service was not the greatest. It was extremely busy with no room at the front or a wait list so your table doesn't get scooped. I don't blame the staff because I believe that they are working with a poor setup. I believe that the owner/manager needs to look at how things are being run. I think that if they hire at least a hostess who can also bus tables this would eleviate a bit of pressure off the wait staff which may help their order taking & demener.
We really love Folsom and are still searching the best places to go for food etc. Terry ... thank you for the info on the ratings. I hate to say it but I always worry about eating out in the US as we always see the undercover stories on TV about fast food restaurants. They also do undercover stories on grocery stores where meat it repackage a couple of times after the "sell by date" in Canada that date is the "best before date". Things are so different here but we are really enjoying our new home town.

#14 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (Irishfireball @ Jan 21 2003, 11:10 AM)
We recently moved to Folsom all the way from Canada. We also had a poor service experience at Murder (Redrum) Burger. ................................

Hi Irishfireball,

Welcome to Folsom and to myfolsom.com. I am sure you will like Folsom as much as we do. It won't be as cold as it's in Canada.

joker.gif newyear.gif

#15 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:51 PM

Irishfishball,

Welcome to Folsom! Hope you like it here - I myself find it a great place to live! We hope to see you here a lot!

king.gif Go Kings!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users