59 replies to this topic

#46 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:23 AM

It's so easy to judge, but the firefighters didn't know what was in the backpack. If it had been a bomb and the suspect set it off when police came in after him the public would be all up in arms over why the police rushed in. Sometimes emergency crews can't win for losing. They do jobs most of us are too chicken to do and they're always criticized. If it comes out that they should have taken different actions I'm sure they'll learn from that, but I'm not going to rush to judgment.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#47 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

Arnie - just declared a STATE OF EMERGENCY related to the Mall Fire-- WHAT ?????

Sure hope the Money goes to the workers now out of Jobs and the small business owners (not the large corporations) as well as the FD< PD and for the robot :)

One good thing- he has waived the one week waiting period for unemployment

http://www.sacbee.co...te-federal.html

http://www.sacbee.co...rosevillepr.jpg

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#48 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

Note to self. If I ever decide to commit a serious crime I will take my backpack along with me. Should buy me some extra time :wacko:

#49 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

Note to self. If I ever decide to commit a serious crime I will take a backpack along with me. Should buy me some extra time :wacko:

Make sure it emits an odor :wacko:

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#50 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:15 PM

Arnie - just declared a STATE OF EMERGENCY related to the Mall Fire-- WHAT ?????

Sure hope the Money goes to the workers now out of Jobs and the small business owners (not the large corporations) as well as the FD< PD and for the robot :)

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/10/22/3124292/roseville-seeks-state-federal.html

http://www.sacbee.com/static/images/gov_rosevillepr.jpg

OMG! Our state is completly broke and tax payers are on the hook for this one too.

#51 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

Note to self. If I ever decide to commit a serious crime I will take my backpack along with me. Should buy me some extra time :wacko:

It wasn't just the fact that he had a backpack that bought time; it was the fact that the suspect said he had some sort of device in it that necessitated an inspection from the bomb squad.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#52 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

Posted Image

#53 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

THere goes the holiday shoppig season for the Galleria... If only the Palladio could have kept to schedule and opened this year.

#54 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

It wasn't just the fact that he had a backpack that bought time; it was the fact that the suspect said he had some sort of device in it that necessitated an inspection from the bomb squad.

I'll be sure to have plenty of "devices" in mine as well. Lighter, smokes, pocket knife, water, maybe even a candy bar... :lol:

#55 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:24 PM

Got this from another board, I thought it was rather humorous.

Anonymous sources revealed this morning that an elite volunteer strike force saved the Roseville Galleria Mall, fully engulfed in flames and written off as a lost cause by attending fire fighters.
Cloaked in darkness, a caravan of 400 Lexus RX450h SUVs rushed down from Granite Bay and Serrano Country Club to take command of the out-of-control inferno.
Armed only with Evian mineral water sprays, vitamin drinks and Grande non-fat, no foam, double-shot lattes, the group of nearly six hundred, taut and tanned trophy wives and their daughters had control of the flames within 15 minutes of arriving.
“They saved our butts,” said battalion chief, Bret Stones. “It was the worst conditions I’ve ever encountered. Hell, most of us are guys. The minute we entered the mall we were exhausted and had to sit down on those little couches. To make matters worse, when the flames hit the Yankee Candle Store the combined scent almost killed us. You can only shove so many coffee beans up your nose.”
In fact, the conditions were so detrimental to the male contingency of fire fighters, that only three female crewmembers and Spot, Roseville Fire Department’s Dalmatian mascot were battling the blaze throughout most of the day.
“This is the worse day of our lives,” said Missy Gomez-Caldicott-Anderson-Broadhead-Northstrom, spokeswoman and former tennis star of the newly formed Serrano Country Club Fire Battalion. “Even though this was a designated bridge club day we felt we had to do something.”
Tragically, the women, young and younger, now consider themselves homeless.
“What are we to do now?” asked one of the nearly indistinguishable from each other Granite Bay firefighters. “Stay at home with our husbands?”
Reports of daily shopping trips to San Francisco and demands that Governor Schwarznegger declare Roseville and the immediate foothill area a disaster area were overheard.
“I would rather die than shop at Arden,” was the final word of the evening.

#56 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:28 AM

Thank you for the laugh out loud moment, will be sharing this on my Facebook page!

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#57 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

I couldn't have said it better:

"1. The police shut the sprinklers off to run a robot in to check a bookbag that there was no legitimate reason to suspect contained a bomb to begin with (leaving everybody wondering why bomb-check robots aren't designed to work in the rain). 2. When the robots failed the fire department couldn't put out the fire because of the menacing bookbag so they let the fire rage. 3. Someone figures out that the sprinklers they shut off previously needed to be turned back on, but it's too late and everything is burned down. 4. Politicians argue that the public needs to continue to pay their fire and police officers six-plus figures for life in order to attract the best and the brightest.'
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#58 DougP

DougP

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

And the internal sprinkler system doesn't go forever, I guess it's only designed to contain the fire for a while. So while they waited for the bomb squad the fire smoldered and spread into walls and other parts of the mall. When it really started to go the roof became a concern and they did not go in. The bomb squad never found the backpack because it was under a ton of debris from the initial fire he said.

I thought your comment was particularly interesting now that they're reporting that the Roseville police ordered that water to the sprinkler system be turned off just prior to the major conflagration.

#59 kellismom

kellismom

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/10/22/3124292/roseville-seeks-state-federal.html

http://www.sacbee.com/static/images/gov_rosevillepr.jpg

Are you kidding me? These large companies should have insurance to pay their employees salaries a period of time as most businesses do when there's a catastrophic loss (Anyone heard of "business interruption"?). They should be paid their regular pay (average hours per week). They should not automatically be "unemployed" for something out of their control. That's just sad...about the employees...not necessarily the Galleria...who cares? Really? Find something else to do.

Pardon the threadjack... I don't feel that the OTHER big fire is getting enough attention. The River City Food Bank in Midtown burned up on Thursday morning. They are not presently taking food donations since they no longer have anywhere to put it but they still need help. http://www.rivercityfoodbank.org/

I haven't read the remainder of this thread, but do they have a temporary location? This is more important than Black Friday shopping at the Galleria...

#60 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

I haven't read the remainder of this thread, but do they have a temporary location?

Keep following their website, things are developing quickly.
http://www.rivercityfoodbank.org/
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users