24 replies to this topic

#16 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Years ago I worked with Sellands catering and have always loved Randalls food. However I had a very unpleasant customer service experience at the new EDH location. So bad that even though I love the food, I will never step foot in there again.

#17 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

Years ago I worked with Sellands catering and have always loved Randalls food. However I had a very unpleasant customer service experience at the new EDH location. So bad that even though I love the food, I will never step foot in there again.

If the customer service experience was bad enough never to have you go in store again, you need to let management know. Bad customer service and poor service in general can wreck a business. Just look at Sac Bee restaurant review for Bidwell Street Bistro. It was almost all based on service. Let Sellands know your experience.

#18 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Wow, I didn't think it could get louder than Chipotle.

(Moderators: Maybe we need to break out our discussion of acoustics in restaurants.)

If all the surfaces in the building are flat and hard, the echoes create the ungodly din.

You need carpet, curtains, and textured walls that aren't rockhard to absorb the sound energy, unfortunately these surfaces are harder to keep clean. I do like places like Black Angus where the booths are tall the benches and backs of the benches are soft padded, floor is carpet and the result is it's fairly quiet at your table. Wide open dining spaces with hard chairs, hard everything are guaranteed to be noisy.
"And the Wind cries Mary"

#19 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

We ate there last week and enjoyed it. Yes, there was a wait to order, but the food arrived quickly. I thought the service was great and so was the food. Anyone that offers brussles sprouts as a side has an "A" in my book! LOL!. We ate outside beucase there were no tables inside. Not my first choice as it was chilly!
When I first heard that they were opening there I thought it was a stupid idea! I thought it was a terrible location. Well what do I know, eh? :-)

#20 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Wife a I stopped in a month ago, we had a gift certificate. Anyway I agree with the majority here. The staff was excellent same with the food. A noisy restaurant doesn't bother me as I have a nine month old and a three year old.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

http://www.weservicepools.com/

#21 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Wife a I stopped in a month ago, we had a gift certificate. Anyway I agree with the majority here. The staff was excellent same with the food. A noisy restaurant doesn't bother me as I have a nine month old and a three year old.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

http://www.weservicepools.com/

#22 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

what happened? will you tell?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#23 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

My wife and I enjoyed our visit to Sellands in EDH yesterday. Excellent service (friendly, professional and very helpful) and the food was very good. I have never liked Brussel sprouts however i tried them at Selland's and loved them.

I can't complain about the acoustics because we took advantage of the nice warm Spring evening and dined outside but didn't notice a problem in the shop full of people ordering from the hot food, dessert and wine/beer counters.

#24 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

We went to the EDH location for the first time last night. We've been to the East Sac place 2-3x in the past. Food was excellent, as usual: Prosciutto Pizza + Large Green Salad + Slice of Chocolate Mouse Cake = $27 for 2. It was a beautiful evening, so we sat on the patio. The lake view is definitely a plus over the East Sac shop. It's great that they now have a location much closer to home. We can't wait to go back!

Regarding the acoustics, it was louder and busier than East Sac, but still bearable. Lots more families with small children at this one. Land Ocean is a library compared to this place, but it's still quieter than Mexquite or Joe's Crab Shack on a busy evening. There was an article in this month's Sacramento Magazine about the noise and acoustics here, and how they have hired a sound engineer, Steve Pettyjohn of the Acoustics & Vibration Group, to assess the situation. I tried to find an online version of the article, but there doesn't appear to be one on the website. The article was more about Mr. Pettyjohn rather than the restaurant, and it didn't say what steps, if any, are being taken to mitigate the noise.
--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#25 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Finally tried Selland's (I'm a huge fan of Ella's).

The food was pretty good but in the few times that I've been, there seems to be some inconsistency in food quality (dish to dish and same dish visit to visit). It's hasn't ever been bad. But the inconsistency is larger than I would want or expect -- enough so that I wouldn't order by phone (or tell someone what to pick up for me -- I'd want to see it first).

Also, there seems to be some inconsistency in food quantity -- for example 'side' size one time is smaller than the same order previously. I realize that this is fresh made and not mass manufactured so portions will vary. And we'll see if this averages out over time. And maybe it's a function of the server. But given the prices, it'd be nice if they erred on the more plentiful side, especially for take-out. BTW, in my opinion, the Small size is a much better value than the Side size.

Another word about prices -- yes, it's a little expensive by portion size. But I'm okay paying extra for a higher quality meal than for more volume of a lower quality. To me, the net is just about reasonable.

Right now, the best entree IMO is the Roast Pork - excellent flavor, succulent and tender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users