116 replies to this topic

#106 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:16 PM

So after ALL the weird games over the past several weeks... we have finally come back around to Ohio State against LSU in the BCS Championship Game!

What an amazing season this was... I can't even recall all the number of times that Number 1 and 2 lost. It seems like it changed just about weekly.

The Big Ten got lucky getting Illinois into the Rose Bowl... looks like they were looking too keep the tradition of Pac 10 vs Big Ten going.

Lots of Big Ten vs SEC games...

OSU vs LSU
Mich vs Fla
Wisc vs Tenn

Missouri got a bit screwed. Was #1 going into the Big 12 Championship Game... lost to Oklahoma... and now finds itself not even going to a BCS game. Back to the rule that doesn't allow more than 2 teams from one conference to go. Sucks for them.

Hawaii vs Georgia will be an interesting game. Hawaii didn't look to impressive against Washington... but they did pull it out.

Arizona State got screwed. Finished ahead of Illinois... but get passed for a BCS game.

Cal sure stinks. They really gave up after the loss a while back to Oregon State. They went 3-6 in the Pac 10... and finished in second to last place. Unbelievable... knowing they were a few minutes away from being #1. Does Longshore just plain suck... or is it something else. Hmmm. I am sure Cal fans are contemplating this now. Or maybe they are still trying to figure out how to get the tree sitters down!

Oh well... we all know the system is broken... and until we get a playoff... it will really be tough to determine who really is the best team in the country.

Go Badgers!

#107 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:06 PM

The BCS system is seriously broken (not that it was ever right)! Ohio State would get it's arse kicked by USC. Until they can get a better system we ought to go back to the old ways with the Pac 10 and the Big 10 in the Rosebowl. Or, maybe we ought to let college sports be sports and not the semi-pro thing we have made it. lmaosmiley.gif

#108 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(folsombound @ Dec 3 2007, 07:06 PM) View Post
Or, maybe we ought to let college sports be sports and not the semi-pro thing we have made it. lmaosmiley.gif

You are exactly right... college sports are all about the money now. Its too bad.

#109 Nylaan

Nylaan

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

Playoff or no, at least the bowl games always seemed to be excellent matchups even if they weren't "for" anything. Not this year. If it were up to me:

Rose: USC vs Georgia (let em prove who really belongs in the conversation)
Orange: WVU vs VT (maybe not ideal on paper but an old cross-state rivalry)
Sugar: Hawaii vs Missouri (OFFENSE!)
Fiesta: ASU vs Oklahoma (or Illinois I suppose, but ASU is local)

Frankly the only game I am really looking forward to is the Cotton Bowl, Arkansas-Missouri. History suggests LSU always plays their games close regardless of opponent, but my gut feeling is someone is going to get up big early in the championship game.

Usually money doesn't get in the way of the games (because the "big" schools are usually on top anyway) but it really screwed up most of the bowls this year.

And it just seems cruel to match Michigan up with Florida. They would have a much better shot hanging with USC.
It's Saturday night. I have no date, a 2 liter bottle of Shasta, and my all Rush mix tape. Let's rock.

#110 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

I take full blame for this crazy season when my Michigan boys lost to Apple Mountain State. Yep, we started this crazy rollercoaster year....and we're damn proud of it. Sure, we'll beat Florida on New Years Day, no doubt, but our claim to fame is starting the "year of the upset".

GO MICHIGAN !!!!

cheers.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#111 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(Nylaan @ Dec 4 2007, 05:37 PM) View Post
Playoff or no, at least the bowl games always seemed to be excellent matchups even if they weren't "for" anything. Not this year. If it were up to me:

Rose: USC vs Georgia (let em prove who really belongs in the conversation)
Orange: WVU vs VT (maybe not ideal on paper but an old cross-state rivalry)
Sugar: Hawaii vs Missouri (OFFENSE!)
Fiesta: ASU vs Oklahoma (or Illinois I suppose, but ASU is local)

Frankly the only game I am really looking forward to is the Cotton Bowl, Arkansas-Missouri. History suggests LSU always plays their games close regardless of opponent, but my gut feeling is someone is going to get up big early in the championship game.

Usually money doesn't get in the way of the games (because the "big" schools are usually on top anyway) but it really screwed up most of the bowls this year.

And it just seems cruel to match Michigan up with Florida. They would have a much better shot hanging with USC.

With you, Nylaan, except for the Michican having a better chance of hanging with USC. I think the Illini's or whatever they're called will have a difficult time with that.

"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#112 Nylaan

Nylaan

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

College football is often rock-scissors-paper in results, so unless your team is so dominant that it overcomes the strengths. If you look past the name on the jersey, you have to admit that USC has been a disaster on offense for two months (save ASU, which I felt was overrated) in which they struggled to score against Stanford (97th), Washington (102nd), Cal (53rd), UCLA (34th) and Arizona (52nd) despite the fact that their defense is third in the country. Michigan plays a fairly standard conservative but theoretically explosive offense which, if healthy, could have a chance to break 30 and beat USC if they play like they've played on offense for most of the last two months. Meanwhile, the entire planet knows Michigan can't defense any offense resembling "option" (They escaped Illinois with Juice Williams having a terrible game) which more or less means Tebow is going to run right over them.

If USC plays to their talent level on offense they will roll over Illinois, but if they only put up a number in the 20s, Illinois could have a legitimate shot. As much as I hate USC, I am more tired of the anti-Pac 10 bias and would prefer them to win but I really think if USC doesn't take Illinois seriously it even has the potential to be ugly.

It's Saturday night. I have no date, a 2 liter bottle of Shasta, and my all Rush mix tape. Let's rock.

#113 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(Nylaan @ Dec 5 2007, 11:07 AM) View Post
College football is often rock-scissors-paper in results, so unless your team is so dominant that it overcomes the strengths. If you look past the name on the jersey, you have to admit that USC has been a disaster on offense for two months (save ASU, which I felt was overrated) in which they struggled to score against Stanford (97th), Washington (102nd), Cal (53rd), UCLA (34th) and Arizona (52nd) despite the fact that their defense is third in the country. Michigan plays a fairly standard conservative but theoretically explosive offense which, if healthy, could have a chance to break 30 and beat USC if they play like they've played on offense for most of the last two months. Meanwhile, the entire planet knows Michigan can't defense any offense resembling "option" (They escaped Illinois with Juice Williams having a terrible game) which more or less means Tebow is going to run right over them.

If USC plays to their talent level on offense they will roll over Illinois, but if they only put up a number in the 20s, Illinois could have a legitimate shot. As much as I hate USC, I am more tired of the anti-Pac 10 bias and would prefer them to win but I really think if USC doesn't take Illinois seriously it even has the potential to be ugly.

In the PAC-10 everyone plays USC at a higher level. In addition, as you noted, there is an anti-PAC 10 bias which permeates the other conferences. Maybe that comes because they get their butts kicked when they play PAC 10 teams. USC was erratic this year but if they play to their potential they will run Illinois out of Pasadena. I'm insulted that the PAC 10 champion is playing Illinois. (in case you hadn't guessed, I am a USC fan tongue.gif )

#114 Nylaan

Nylaan

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(folsombound @ Dec 5 2007, 02:31 PM) View Post
I'm insulted that the PAC 10 champion is playing Illinois.

Next time, don't lose to Stanford.

#115 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE(Nylaan @ Dec 6 2007, 10:53 AM) View Post
Next time, don't lose to Stanford.

Exactly. What a bunch of losers.

[attachment=1466:michigan.jpg]

Oh, wait...
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#116 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

Does the Big 10 have 8 teams playing bowl games?

I have a hunch they will do better this season in bowl games, than last year. One could argue it would be hard to do worse, but I think they could go 4 & 4 at best, but probably 3 & 5.

If they only win 1 or 2 games then maybe the pollsters will wake up and realize the conference is overrated. The conference has a lot riding on this bowl season.

I think OSU has a good chance at beating LSU. OSU wants to make up for what happened last year, so there is NO way they will come in overconfident. LSU could be over confident and possibly have to deal with all the distractions of rumors of coaches leaving for here & there.

USC's young wide recievers have been their weak spot on offense and now that they have a season under their belt, they may play better making the team very strong. If they open up a can on the Illini, they'll think back to the Stanford game and the little mistakes that cost them the Championship.

The Illini threw an interception at the goal line against Iowa, very late in the game or they would have been the outright Big 10 Champs. That would have created very interesting scenario in that OSU might still be playing for the Championship but 2nd in their conference.

#117 MakeMe_a_Potpie

MakeMe_a_Potpie

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:44 AM

USC plays OSU next year. that will be good for both teams strength of schedule, and whoever wins wil be an ealy favorite for the championshp game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users