72 replies to this topic

#1 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

After more than a decade of mediocrity and zero commitment from the owners and a slew of DUI arrests and off the court problems, I think its high time for this sorry organization that is losing $$ year after year to go away to San Diego, Anaheim, Vegas, Seatle or whichever city that will give them a new arena and whatever they wish for. Good Riddance.

Unless the losses are a great tax write offs for the maloofs.

There, I got it off my chest.

#2 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

You can also say goodbye to almost all the events that currently come to Arco Arena. For those of us that have actually lived here forever and remember how boring Sac was before the Kings, I would hate to see that happen.

To continue with your mediocre logic, I say we kick out any low performing company in Sacramento that has employees with a slew of DUI arrests and non-work related problems. Screw the 1000 other people that are employed by the organization that are regular locals trying to pay the bills. They should learn to control the 10 with problems if they want to be members of our fine society!

By the way, the Kings have been mediocre since they arrived in 1985. They have only been above .500 during the few years between 1999-2006 that nobody can seem to let go of. We all enjoyed being fans and going to games during the lame years prior to that. If winning is the only reason to support a team and enjoy an evening of entertainment, then 90% of all sports franchises should not exist.

Frankly, I just don't understand people like you. How does the team performance or how the Maloofs operate their business affect you in any way? Why does it trigger such a response of hatred from someone that has no real vested interest? Is your own personal issue worth the loss of revenue and jobs?
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#3 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

I realize my previous post had too many questions and may be confusing to some. So I'll present a shorter, easier question.

Please explain, in detail, how the greater Sacramento area is better off without the Kings and Arco Arena?
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#4 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

You can also say goodbye to almost all the events that currently come to Arco Arena. For those of us that have actually lived here forever and remember how boring Sac was before the Kings, I would hate to see that happen.

To continue with your mediocre logic, I say we kick out any low performing company in Sacramento that has employees with a slew of DUI arrests and non-work related problems. Screw the 1000 other people that are employed by the organization that are regular locals trying to pay the bills. They should learn to control the 10 with problems if they want to be members of our fine society!

By the way, the Kings have been mediocre since they arrived in 1985. They have only been above .500 during the few years between 1999-2006 that nobody can seem to let go of. We all enjoyed being fans and going to games during the lame years prior to that. If winning is the only reason to support a team and enjoy an evening of entertainment, then 90% of all sports franchises should not exist.

Frankly, I just don't understand people like you. How does the team performance or how the Maloofs operate their business affect you in any way? Why does it trigger such a response of hatred from someone that has no real vested interest? Is your own personal issue worth the loss of revenue and jobs?

I salute you sir and hoist my white russian high into the air in honor of your fine reply.
Even failure can be fun to watch sometimes, I like going to King's games simply because they are OUR team.

#5 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

If you don't like the Kings ignore them. For every one of you, there are hundreds of dedicated loyal fans that have followed our mediocre team for a long time.

#6 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

The Kings have a very young inexperienced team, they are going to take some lumps this season. They are on the right path to having a good team in a few years. I think Westphal is doing a good job of teaching and things will come together. They should get another good player in this draft and have salary cap space available to get a veteran free agent that will compliment everything else is in place.

Their inexperience is showing in the 4th quarter.

There has been some speculation regarding the Maloofs other businesses, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a sale of the team. The economy in Sacramento is going to be lagging for a longer time and this could factor into them making a business decision to sell the team to an out of town owner who very well may move the team.

I'd hate to see the Kings leave, we would still have Bass Fishing and yanking CW's chain about the Bears loosin, until the next election.

#7 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

... have salary cap space available to get a veteran free agent that will compliment everything else is in place. ...

Team leadership has openly admitted for the past couple of years that their strategy is to build a team of young talent through the draft and trades (check!), while simultaneously freeing cap space (check!) and waiting for the new CBA to be figured out before they lock-in high paid talent (TBD 2011-12). So those of us that pay attention have known all along that next year is the first year that we should start expecting something good. Once the new CBA is worked-out, we should expect another '98-99 run of pulling in a couple of key pieces that can stabilize the raw talent that is currently running amok. Hopefully the team will stay and we'll have another 8-year playoff run!

#8 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

No offense palango but your post is idiotic. Well, some offense.

#9 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

win or lose, I don't even care if the Maloofs lose money, the Kings and the Arena create jobs and do bring revenue to the area. Despite their pathetic performance on the court, they are an asset to our area.

There, I said it.
I would rather be Backpacking

#10 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

Ok, to expand and hopefully answer some questions, here it is....

I believe that the organization is one of the worst run businesses that basically celebrates failures and has brought a culture of mediocrity from the ownership down. When a team which has been here a quarter of a century is ONLY above the .500 mark 7 years (1999-2006), what kid of winning culture does that portray???

yes yes, I get the arguments of "the Maloofs and the Kings" creating jobs, yada yada, but I am talking about WINNING. If we live in a town where we celebrate failures in the past 25 + years because it creates jobs, then we should not complain about all those state govt workers and duplicate agencies that are basically doing the same thing, but they are keeping people employed too? All those calls for dramatically reducing the State employees and agencies by the very same folks defending the failing business of the Kings????

In the interest of full disclosure, I do enjoy going to Kings games on 2 conditions. 1) someone gives me free tickets, good seats and good parking and 2) some other REAL NBA team of value has come to town to play to rip the lethargic, amateur Kings (such as Heat, Lakers, Magic). I did get to watch the Orlando magic and dwight Howard Beat the Kings in my free VIP seats last year.

Bottom line is why should I PAY for a poor product for the past 25 years?? Just because some diehard fans (God Bless em for their dedication) are so in love with the organization that they are absolutely blinded by mediocrity, I will ONLY PAY when they are competitive and good. I refuse to support mediocrity in ANY business.

So the City has sent a loud and clear message that the taxpayers will NOT foot the bill for a new arena and the owners are hanging on to this "life raft" of a tax shelter of a losing business so long as diehard fans support mediocrity with their $$$.

Diehard Kings fans.... Please do NOT be surprised if the Kings move and act shocked like the Seattle Supersonics fans WHEN they do.

Its all about business. Take the emotions out and think about a business that has largely been a failure for the past 25 years.

#11 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:37 AM

Okyes yes, I get the arguments of "the Maloofs and the Kings" creating jobs, yada yada, but I am talking about WINNING. If we live in a town where we celebrate failures in the past 25 + years because it creates jobs, then we should not complain about all those state govt workers and duplicate agencies that are basically doing the same thing, but they are keeping people employed too? All those calls for dramatically reducing the State employees and agencies by the very same folks defending the failing business of the Kings????

The Kings are supported by people who voluntarily purchase tickets. i.e. they make the choice to spend their money

Government workers are paid with TAX dollars, i.e. the government steals more and more money from MY wallet (and everyone else's) to support it's overgrown bloating.

BIG DIFFERENCE, so your comparison is invalid
I would rather be Backpacking

#12 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

Ok, to expand and hopefully answer some questions, here it is....

I believe that the organization is one of the worst run businesses that basically celebrates failures and has brought a culture of mediocrity from the ownership down. When a team which has been here a quarter of a century is ONLY above the .500 mark 7 years (1999-2006), what kid of winning culture does that portray???

yes yes, I get the arguments of "the Maloofs and the Kings" creating jobs, yada yada, but I am talking about WINNING.

I do enjoy going to Kings games on 2 conditions. 1) someone gives me free tickets, good seats and good parking and 2) some other REAL NBA team of value has come to town to play to rip the lethargic, amateur Kings (such as Heat, Lakers, Magic). I did get to watch the Orlando magic and dwight Howard Beat the Kings in my free VIP seats last year.

Bottom line is why should I PAY for a poor product for the past 25 years?? Just because some diehard fans (God Bless em for their dedication) are so in love with the organization that they are absolutely blinded by mediocrity, I will ONLY PAY when they are competitive and good. I refuse to support mediocrity in ANY business.

I hear Los Angeles has a really good winning team, and plenty of available housing (hint hint). You can leave this loser town and go live among fans of sports WINNERS, you just have to give up the beauty of our smaller town and go embrace an impacted major metropolitan city that has many more fans and city support to afford the higher salaries of top players. Then you won't feel like such a loser having to live in our crappy area with a crappy team.

I hope you don't teach your kids that sports is always ONLY about winning. Your "if you don't win you're a total loser" philosophy is not healthy.

I hope you are at least thanking the REAL Kings fan who gave you your free tickets to mooch.

#13 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

Don't really follow basketball too much, but do the Kings have the worst record in the NBA? If not, there must be other cities that support worse teams, and probably not complaining about it. Yes?

#14 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

Don't really follow basketball too much, but do the Kings have the worst record in the NBA? If not, there must be other cities that support worse teams, and probably not complaining about it. Yes?

I heard the other day they are #26 out of 32 teams, so yes, there are worse teams (just a few)

#15 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

I wouldn't want to see them leave. We don't go all that often, but when we do go we always have a good time. Last game we went to was the Clippers one in December where it was a really close game all the way up to the last minute. We still had a great time even though they didn't win. The only thing that probably keeps us from going more often is the cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users