Photo
- - - - -

Are People Getting Bigger Or Seats Getting Smaller?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 valdossjoyce

valdossjoyce

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Oct 18 2007, 10:17 AM) View Post
I'm constantly amazed at the number of sloppily obese people I see on a daily basis.

While struggling with attaing my optimum weight, I have become more sensitive to the generalizations hurled at overweight people. Sure obesity is unhealthy and unsightly. But I have friends you might call "obese" but none of them are "sloppy." Many overweight people (probably those who have the money and taste to shop at the right stores) are impeccably groomed and carry their oversized bodies with dignity and grace.

#17 awood

awood

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:58 PM

6'4" 250lbs when I plop my heinnie in an airplane seat my shoulders are in someone elses personal space and my knees are in someones back. Get over it all you little puny girly men. rolleyes.gif

#18 maggiesmom

maggiesmom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:00 AM

Seriously? What horrible comments.

#19 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:03 AM

Will airlines start charging passengers by weight?
BLOOMBERG NEWS

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 3:40 PM

Imagine two scales at the airline ticket counter, one for your bags and one for you. The price of a ticket depends upon the weight of both.

"You listen to the airline CEOs, and nothing is beyond their imagination," said David Castelveter, a spokesman for the Air Transport Association, a Washington, D.C.-based trade group. "They have already begun to think exotically. Nothing is not under the microscope." He declined to discuss what any individual airline might be contemplating, including charging passengers based on weight.

With fuel costs almost tripling since 2000, now accounting for as much as 40 percent of operating expenses at some carriers, according to the ATA, airlines are cutting costs and raising revenue in ways that once were unthinkable. U.S. Airways Group Inc. has eliminated snacks. Delta Air Lines Inc. is charging $25 for telephone reservations. AMR Corp.'s American Airlines. last month became the first U.S. company to charge $15 for one checked bag.

Even a cold drink may be harder to come by aloft.

Singapore Airlines Ltd., whose shares have fallen 8.9 percent this year, is "trying to eliminate unnecessary quantities of extra water" to save weight, Chief Executive Officer Chew Choon Seng said in an interview.

"When you hear some people talking about putting showers on their planes, that strikes me as counterintuitive," he said.

After U.S. airlines reported combined first-quarter losses of $1.7 billion and crude oil jumped to a record $133.17 a barrel on May 21, almost double from a year earlier, fares based on a passenger's weight may be a logical step, said Robert Mann, head of R.W. Mann & Co., an aviation consultant based in Port Washington, New York.

"If you look at the air-freight business, that's the way they've always done it," he said. "We're getting treated like air freight when we travel by airlines, anyway."

"Laughter aside, the airlines are just in a desperate situation," said David Swierenga, president of consulting firm Aeroecon in Round Rock, Texas, who dismissed weight-based ticket sales and steep price increases as unrealistic.

Since December, eight companies have ceased flying, largely because of fuel costs - MaxJet Airways Inc., Big Sky Transportation Co., Aloha Airlines Inc., ATA Airlines., Skybus Airlines Inc., Eos Airlines., Silverjet Plc. and the charter- flight operator Champion Air. Air Midwest., a division of Mesa Air Group Inc., is ceasing operations this month.

Japan Airlines Corp. is using crockery in first-class and business-class cabins that is 20 percent lighter than the service items they replaced.

Southwest Airlines Co. is flying slower - by 72 seconds, for example, on Houston-Los Angeles flights, which now take 3 hours 14 minutes. That saves 8.7 gallons of fuel for each of the airline's four daily nonstops on the 1,387-mile route, 34.8 gallons a day overall, said Marilee McInnis, a company spokeswoman.

Southwest comes closest to charging for weight, asking passengers to buy a second seat if their girth prevents the armrest from lowering.

One airline that is unlikely to start weighing its customers is Dubai-based Emirates, the largest carrier in the Gulf region.

"That is something that when I was a check-in agent in the early 70s I used to do and it was the most horrific experience, trying to get people to stand on scales," said Tim Clark, the airline president. "It's not something that we would do."

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#20 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 5 2008, 08:03 AM) View Post
Will airlines start charging passengers by weight?

Well, I'm scrood unsure.gif
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#21 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(ngilbert @ Jun 5 2008, 08:42 AM) View Post
Well, I'm scrood unsure.gif

The airlines are screwing everyone, pretty soon they'll be charging extra for additional clothes you may be wearing (leave the jacket at home heh)

#22 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:51 AM

Charging by weight on airplanes is technologically sound... dunno about sociologically tongue.gif
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#23 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Oct 18 2007, 04:38 PM) View Post
People are getting fatter... yep I said it. And don't give me this I am proud to be a greasy slob of a fat person, you are not proud, you are weak.

Ok the greasy, slob part is definetly not me but I am proud of the little/big bump that is getting magically bigger everyday....I am just glad I have only gained 2lbs. I love how food is just not appealing to me anymore!!!

#24 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:58 AM

<sigh>
Customers who are large enough to require 2 seats, should be charged for, and given, 2 seats, instead of causing tremendous discomfort for those of us smaller passengers seated next to, and ultimately sharing our seats with them.
Not long ago, I had a very large woman, who clearly had a lot of anxiety about flying, seated right next to me (occupying hers, and much of my seat as well) and proceeded to sweat so profusely during the 3 hour flight, she sweated through my clothing, including my heavy wool coat. It was absolutely disgusting.

#25 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE(doj_gal @ Jun 5 2008, 08:52 AM) View Post
I love how food is just not appealing to me anymore!!!

ummm... thats not healthy for a roundie.

#26 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 5 2008, 08:50 AM) View Post
The airlines are screwing everyone, pretty soon they'll be charging extra for additional clothes you may be wearing (leave the jacket at home heh)

Way I see it is as long as they're weighing us *after* they make us take off our shoes I guess it's okay. I mean, my shoes probably weigh about two or three pounds. That's two or three pounds of my money they won't get! Ha ha! Hear that airlines? Now I'm the one screwing *you*! So take that!

Yeah, I take big comfort in small comforts.
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#27 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 5 2008, 08:50 AM) View Post

I don't get how "the airlines are screwing everyone" when they are losing money hand over fist and paying double what they did last year for jet fuel. It's still cheaper, faster and easier than any other type of long range transportation. How would you like to drive cross country with gas at $4.35 per gallon (in the Bay Area right now)?

#28 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Jun 5 2008, 09:00 AM) View Post
ummm... thats not healthy for a roundie.

I know I am trying. It's just the warm weather. I always lose 20 lbs or so during the
summer every year just because I do not feel like eating. Combine that with horrible indigestion (which I have never experienced until baby), a baby that is a sqiggle worm and the fullness feeling after just drinking water. I usually have to force food down. Thank goodness my love is an amazing cook and a health food type guy or i'd only have Baskin Robbins shakes or Jamba juice everyday.

#29 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE(folsombound @ Jun 5 2008, 09:09 AM) View Post
I don't get how "the airlines are screwing everyone" when they are losing money hand over fist and paying double what they did last year for jet fuel. It's still cheaper, faster and easier than any other type of long range transportation. How would you like to drive cross country with gas at $4.35 per gallon (in the Bay Area right now)?

perhaps the better way to say it is that the airlines are charging much more now then they used to just 1-2 years ago...by nickle and diming people for every little thing now such as luggage, weight etc...

maybe if they just came up with a standard ticket price that included everything and stuck to that instead of all the add on's it would feel better.

I used to fly monthly - now I barely fly yearly, we've cut down on as much unnecessary travel as possible - including in the car.

#30 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

Here's a good comparison on how much the cost of flying has gone up

Last year July 07 - a flight to Orlando Florida from Sac cost $238
This year, that same flight costs $660

0 user(s) are reading this topic