#61 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Apr 10 2009, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious.....where does one find these scorpions in Folsom? I've never seen one and I've lived here several years. I've been down to the lake, sun bathed and hung out, but never seen a scorpion.

Has anyone seen one in their yard, house or garage? If so, what area of Folsom was that?

They like to hide under rocks. And I think they tend to be nocturnal.
I would rather be Backpacking

#62 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (chris v @ Apr 9 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My parents neighbor was bit last year through her work boots. She didn't even know it happened. Later that night she was feeling weird, she eventually ended up in the ER. Where they told her she had been bitten.

I had a hard time running on the trails after reading this story about a rattlesnake bite.

http://runningtimes....articleID=13099

The photo of her leg looks really painful.

#63 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Apr 10 2009, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious.....where does one find these scorpions in Folsom? I've never seen one and I've lived here several years. I've been down to the lake, sun bathed and hung out, but never seen a scorpion.

Has anyone seen one in their yard, house or garage? If so, what area of Folsom was that?

My neighbor came home one day and found 3 walking up his living room wall.

Not horrible as far as scorpions go--just a regular black scorpion.

We live in North Folsom--right against the river and dam.

Lots of animals out here.

#64 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

Black Scorpion? Is that type normal in this area?

Geeez! I've lived in the Sacramento area almost all my life and never heard of scorpions being anywhere here!

What really irks me is when pet shops sell these things, as well an other insects and snakes, which can have nasty bites.

I've heard of many a pet owner being bite by their sweet little pet, which should really be back in the country they belong. They've had to have special treatment or be flown somewhere that provides it. It recently happened to a cobra owner back east. What kind of person owns a COBRA???? A mentally sick person, if you ask me. wacko.gif
Now how many hospitals do you suppose have the anti-venmon for COBRA BITES?????
What if that thing would have bitten a baby?

I say, don't drive up my health care costs! Charge these pet owners to pay out of their own pockets.

-rant over- smile.gif

#65 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (ducky @ Apr 10 2009, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a hard time running on the trails after reading this story about a rattlesnake bite.

http://runningtimes....articleID=13099

The photo of her leg looks really painful.

You know, something funny happened last night, I was channel surfing and stumbled across "I've been bitten" on Animal Planet. They showed two cases of rattler poisoning.
Even though all rattler bites are potentially lethal, but most actually survive (in large part because of medical intervention), it still is usually extremely painful and very often physically disfiguring and scarring. One guy had bleeding problems for 8 months afterwards and his hand is all contorted and almost useless.

A couple of facts.

Baby rattlers have less toxin, but more potent toxin, and are prone to dump everything they have.

large rattlers have a lot of toxin and can control how much they inject, and depending upon level of agitation, may not inject much toxin, or they may pump a lot. So some might survive because they got a small dose, and others survive because they got proper medical help.

#66 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 10 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, something funny happened last night, I was channel surfing and stumbled across "I've been bitten" on Animal Planet. They showed two cases of rattler poisoning.
Even though all rattler bites are potentially lethal, but most actually survive (in large part because of medical intervention), it still is usually extremely painful and very often physically disfiguring and scarring. One guy had bleeding problems for 8 months afterwards and his hand is all contorted and almost useless.

A couple of facts.

Baby rattlers have less toxin, but more potent toxin, and are prone to dump everything they have.

large rattlers have a lot of toxin and can control how much they inject, and depending upon level of agitation, may not inject much toxin, or they may pump a lot. So some might survive because they got a small dose, and others survive because they got proper medical help.

I searched and searched on the Folsom main page to try to locate any information about the critters in Folsom, but found nothing. Can anyone point me to a site which shows all of the critters here in Folsom?

For safeties sake, I think it would be a good idea for parents to know what may lurk out in the back yard, of the home they just bought.
Parents don't always stay right by their child's side when they are outside, so it may be a good idea for them to know what's out there.

It seems the homes closer to the river have more critters than homes closer to the freeway. But that is just speculation on my part.

As far as surviving a rattler bite, it also depends on if the hospital within a reasonable distance, has the anti-venom needed. Some hospitals don't keep it on hand, and must call around to find it. Time is important with a rattler bite.

The disfigurement and the muscle damage from a rattler bite is concerning. I think it's safe to say that each person has their own experience, with some being more severe than others.

Many runners and bikers go way out, miles from any hospital. If their cell phones are out of range, what do they do if they get bitten by a rattler? This is what happened to my niece on a camping trip with her folks. It took quite a while to get her to a hospital and at the time, there were no helicopters available to fly where they were.

My brother said he got a real education about the length of time it takes to get help when one is out that far in the wilderness. I said, DUH!
I guess Americans are sometimes naive about such things, or just don't think about the "what if" scenario.

#67 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Apr 10 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I searched and searched on the Folsom main page to try to locate any information about the critters in Folsom, but found nothing. Can anyone point me to a site which shows all of the critters here in Folsom?

I don't think you will find much on the city website.

Try the state park website as they will list wildlife, as that is more up their alley.

#68 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 10 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think you will find much on the city website.

Try the state park website as they will list wildlife, as that is more up their alley.

I took your suggestion and they don't mention any precautions about rattlers, that I could find, at the State Parks web site. All it said of the wild life trail here in Folsom, was there could be various wild life found, among them various reptiles. No information at all about rattlers.

What I'm trying to find is where there are instructions, safe guards and information on the wild life here which could cause harm or death.

I think that for the public's safety, there should be information and where one not have to search and search to find it.

What is it, Folsom's dirty little secret or something? I live here and I'm ashamed of the lack of information about safe camping here.
This is a safety issue, and the public has a right to know as well as those who visit.

It's sure funny that as long as I've lived in this area, I've never known about the scorpions here! My husband laughs and says he thinks you all are nuts! He says of course there ARE NOT scorpions here in Folsom...and wants to know what you have been smoking!

Give me some proof so I can regain my creditability with him and so he doesn't think everyone here is crazy.

#69 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Apr 10 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many runners and bikers go way out, miles from any hospital. If their cell phones are out of range, what do they do if they get bitten by a rattler?

I regularly am way, way out in the middle of nowhere. Places you could walk around for a week and never see anybody. I have a SPOT for that reason.

#70 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Apr 10 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I regularly am way, way out in the middle of nowhere. Places you could walk around for a week and never see anybody. I have a SPOT for that reason.

A good friend of mine bought one of those for his son (who's a grown up).
I'm always out in the woods with friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users