Photo
- - - - -

Who Says, "i'm Just Not Good At Reading."?

Stop bragging about not being good at math

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

I Don't Have a Reading Brain

I don't have a reading brain.  
cartoon20brain.gif

I'm 52 years old and I've never been good at reading.  In fact, I'm constantly telling my children that I was never a good reader so that they don't feel so bad about being bad at reading themselves.  They are always saying, "Why do we have to learn to read anyway?" and even though I basically agree with them, I try to think of times when reading is important such as when they get a text from their friends.

I really don't feel too bad about being a bad reader because just about everyone I know is bad at reading.  In fact, we are always joking about being bad at reading.  My sister-in-law is a middle school English teacher and every time we go to a restaurant we always make her read the menu to us.  We just tell the waitress to hand the menus over to her and most of the time the waitress sort of laughs in agreement and says something like, "I get it.  I'm a terrible reader too."  And we all have a big laugh.

_2412_2.jpg       People who can read must be really smart.  Everyone knows this.  In school, we always knew who the smartest kids were because they were able to read.  When teachers told me to read, I just tried to memorize the facts that I needed to know to answer the questions at the end of the chapter.  That's what I tell my own children to do because I really can't help them with their reading and they know that I can't really read very well anyway.

High school reading was the worst.  Seriously, how are normal people supposed to memorize all of those words AND their meanings.  It really isn't humanly possible, except for people that have reading brains--I guess.  

http://whatssogoodab...n.html?spref=fb

#2 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:35 PM

And I thought this was a personal confession....:)

I wouldnt consider myself REALLY smart, have certainly made my share of dumb decisions, but, I've always loved to read. When I was young, I used to read under the covers with a flashlight. And to this day, reading is my preferred way of learning.

I do think we need to be careful what attitudes we model to our children, and to others around us. Children always seem to repeat things their parents say or do, in the most awkward situations.

And then there are adults who watch, and report what they deem to be inappropriate behavior....sigh...

#3 awood

awood

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:16 PM

I could have written this article!!  I don't hate the physical act of reading, but retention of characters and information is impossible for me and apparently inherited by my children.  Fiction is the WORST!  I read 5 autobiographies over a Christmas break a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed them all because I knew the main character and for the most part the other characters could be generalized as "their dad or mom" or "best friend" without having ti actually remember their names.

When my youngest was in HS and he had to read the Lord of the Flies, I remembered reading the story and volunteered to read WITH him and help him study as he always seemed to struggle on such exams.  I was frustrated and met with the teacher after he scored 11/30 on the test.  So I took the test myself....and scored 11/30.   Of the 19 questions we missed, we both missed the same questions.  Each and every answer was someone's name!!  We could both tell you "one of the fat kids with the glasses" but neither of us could tell you his NAME!!

It has manifested itself in a general understanding that we HATE reading, which really isn't accurate.  I read tons for my national licensing exam and passed the entire test the 1st time (<13% accomplish this) but it had ZERO history and the portions you had to memorize were material names and characteristics.  In general, I read ZERO fiction and about 50% news or technical writing and 50% sports.

#4 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:05 PM

I have always loved to read. When I was in my High School English class I had to read books and then

write a book report on them. I usually got A's on my written reports but when I had to get up in front of

the class and give an oral book report I was kind of scarred and didn't do as well, like a B.

After all these years, I graduated High School in 1956, I know that getting up in front of the class

really helped me through my years in the Navy and after getting out and working for GTE and Lockheed.

Reading is good for everyone.   I loved westerns back in the day. I love Tom Clancy now.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#5 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:05 AM

Was I the only one that read the article?  This had to do with MATH. Like him, I can't understand why people don't WANT to learn math. How will you be able to tell if you are getting screwed financially unless you know basic math.  I know people that cannot add or subtract 2 digit numbers without struggle. Isn't that a life skill that should be valued?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#6 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:07 AM

In terms of providing our children and students with the skills and knowledge they need to navigate life, our educational system has been a massive failure.  I believe both parents and educators are major contributing factors.  They place their own interests above the interest of students.  Teachers are mostly interested in protecting the interests of teachers.  It's why it's nearly impossible to fire a non-performing teacher.  But IMO, it's the parents who have dropped the ball on education.  School boards hire and fire teachers.  Parents elect school board members.  So ultimately, the parents have control over everything, and they haven't demanded excellence in education.  We reap what we sew.  

#7 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

Was I the only one that read the article?  This had to do with MATH. Like him, I can't understand why people don't WANT to learn math. How will you be able to tell if you are getting screwed financially unless you know basic math.  I know people that cannot add or subtract 2 digit numbers without struggle. Isn't that a life skill that should be valued?

Why would people who are bad at reading read the article? ;)

I thought the article was based on the premise that no one would ever say they were bad at reading, yet there are many who claim not to have math brains.  It goes on to say we shouldn't say that in front of our children.  That is something I am guilty of, but the difference is I always knew how valuable math skills are in life and didn't gloss over what a detriment it was.  I made sure my children didn't give up and found help for them if something was over my head.  I was fortunate that math seems to click with them; but, even if it didn't, there are so many resources for help now than I had available many moons ago when neither of my parents could help.

As for the basic premise that no one would ever say they are bad at reading, I disagree.  I happen to love reading, but I know some people, who probably had dyslexia that went undiagnosed when they were learning to read, who struggle in adult life and only read when absolutely necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users