• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 08:55 PM

FYI to those of us affected by the new Prairie Oaks Elemantary - there will be a zoning meeting on Wednesday, January 22 at 6:00 PM in the Folsom High School Learning Resource Center, for those of you interested in attending. Thanks!

#2 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 12:24 PM

That would be a BOUNDARY meeting, not a zoning meeting. The district will be re-distributing student populations to try to equalize school populations and keep a static student body in one place at each school.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#3 Doug

Doug

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 02:05 PM

Has anyone heard the rumors that the school district is considering not opening Prairie Oaks to save money? The rumor seems to be making its way around the elementary schools. I guess that's one thing the oversight committee could not control. They made sure the bond was spent on the school, but not that it might open? I would suspect that if the board tried this, there would be two outcomes: 1) a few recall petitions might be started by Folsom voters who paid for an empty elementary school and 2) another bond would never get passed again. Anyone heard anything. I'll be at the meeting on Wed to hear.

#4 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 23 January 2003 - 11:50 AM

I attended the meeting last night. As is usual with the rumor mill...the rumors are untrue. The, as yet to be named, Prairie Oaks school should be completed in May and will open it's doors in August for the 2003/2004 school year. The new boundary lines (which should be approved early next month) include the following neighborhoods...Prairie Oaks, Los cerros, Willow Springs and the following apartment complexes...Iron Point, Willow Springs and the Overlook. Registration packets will go home with students in March. If you have a new student (i.e. a kindergartener or a student transfering from a private school) then you will need to go to Natomas Station Elementary on March 20th and register your child for the new Prairie Oaks school. If you are not happy with the "home" school in your neighborhood you will need to fill out a "choice" application for the school of your choosing and retun it with your childs registration information. The best efforts will be made to accomondate (sp?) your child at the school of your "choice". I hope this information helps. I will let you know if anything changes.
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 12:57 PM

That is right. You had just heard a rumor. To many of those going around.

I talked to the newest city council member last night and he said the school will open as scheduled.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users