19 replies to this topic

#1 Jenncez

Jenncez

Your Local Scentsy & Thirty-One Consultant

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:48 PM

Do your pets have it and how much does it cost? Are they asleep when they get it put in?

#2 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(Jenncez @ Jun 18 2007, 01:48 PM) View Post
Do your pets have it and how much does it cost? Are they asleep when they get it put in?

Our puppy has it. Not sure of the cost... we got it as part of a 'puppy package' with our vet which includes all the necessary shots, meds, and the chip. They waited until we had her fixed and injected the chip then, so yes she was asleep. Not sure if that's standard practice, but recommended as it must be somewhat painful I'd think.

#3 kaybird

kaybird

All Star

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

My two dogs have both been "chipped". It cost $40 for each dog. It is inserted by a syringe, just like other shots. They were not sedated and didn't seem bothered by the procedure at all. Here's some additional info on the chip our vet used:

www.avidmicrochip.com

#4 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

After we lost (and found) our dog last year, we had him microchipped right away. He had it done while he was sedated because he was having a tooth pulled at the same time. I also believe it was around the $40 range.

#5 TheWeimGuy

TheWeimGuy

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:My Wife, our Daughter, good wine and being on, in, or under water.

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(kaybird @ Jun 18 2007, 02:03 PM) View Post
My two dogs have both been "chipped". It cost $40 for each dog. It is inserted by a syringe, just like other shots. They were not sedated and didn't seem bothered by the procedure at all. Here's some additional info on the chip our vet used:

www.avidmicrochip.com

Ditto
Best $40 I've spent (x2 dogs, and 1 cat)

#6 FIDOPres

FIDOPres

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

Low cost microchips are provided by the Sac Animal Care & Control the 4th Wednesday of every month at the Folsom Zoo, from 6pm - 8pm, you can call this number for more info 439-2268.
Keep in mind that microchips aren't full-proof and it's always a good idea to have some type of back-up, tattoos, tags, name collars and current pictures of your dog, with close-ups of any identify marks.

#7 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:50 AM

I was over at lees feed store yesterday. They have a low cost clinic there every Sunday.
They are on Greenback. Big horse in the parking lot- you can't miss it.

#8 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:23 PM

My kitty does, and it was about $20.00 at folsom cat clinic
<3

#9 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:00 PM

I would say it depends on the size of the dog for the pain level. The needle is very large and left a huge hole in my dog. Since we did not get her fixed it was done while she was awake and she is a very small chi. It really hurt her, but of course I would do it again to our new one we just got. I think it is worth it. I have found that Blue Ravine Pet Hospital has the best rates on puppy packages and it does include the microchip.

#10 carla

carla

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(TheWeimGuy @ Jun 18 2007, 05:13 PM) View Post
Ditto
Best $40 I've spent (x2 dogs, and 1 cat)

Hi TheWeimGuy,
We just got a new weim, he is only 10 weeks old. Never had a weim so wanted to get some tips from you.

Thanks.

#11 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

The chip only helps if someone FINDS your pet... my kitty is missing, and the chip is not helping at all right now!!!!!!! cuss3.gif

I want my kitty back.... sad.gif
<3

#12 carla

carla

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(traceyl @ Jun 18 2007, 02:00 PM) View Post
Our puppy has it. Not sure of the cost... we got it as part of a 'puppy package' with our vet which includes all the necessary shots, meds, and the chip. They waited until we had her fixed and injected the chip then, so yes she was asleep. Not sure if that's standard practice, but recommended as it must be somewhat painful I'd think.

who is your vet? What contact info? I just got a new puppy weimaraner and do not have a vet yet in folsom.

#13 kev1006

kev1006

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

I have one in my dog and was glad I did it... best $40 ever I thought!

Well, here is the rub. My dog got out one day and was picked up and taken to the pound. They scanned him but failed to find the chip. I don't know what I would have done.

The pound said that they would have done a more thorough scan before they euthanized but why didn't they find it at first?

#14 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(kev1006 @ Oct 13 2007, 08:14 PM) View Post
I have one in my dog and was glad I did it... best $40 ever I thought!

Well, here is the rub. My dog got out one day and was picked up and taken to the pound. They scanned him but failed to find the chip. I don't know what I would have done.

The pound said that they would have done a more thorough scan before they euthanized but why didn't they find it at first?

Those microchips can travel pretty far. They start out between the shoulder blades, but within a few years, you might find it by the elbow. When I go in for my yearly Vet visit, I always have them scan for the chip, to make sure it's still readable.

The pound is probably understaffed, and overworked. Too bad they don't do a thorough body scan for each pet, and not just a quick swipe along the shoulder.

#15 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:17 AM

Getting your pet chipped is the best thing you could ever do for them.

Pets can easily lose collars and tags but its impossible to lose the chip.

We've had it done to our 2 cats and 2 dogs, was even thinking about the 2 kids, but they have their school ID's so we passed on that idea tongue.gif

seriously tho - get it done to all your pets, its an insurance that will almost always pay off if your pet gets lost (and found)

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users