194 replies to this topic

#16 BuffaloRon

BuffaloRon

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

I see how it is, the water goes to the highest bidder, and So Cal has more money and more Senate and Assembly juice. Split the state into two states and let them survive on their own. I'll be watching the city very closely on their water waste.  I've complained to the city's Landscape and Lighting district for the last eight years about the median run-off on Iron Point at the high school and Intel to no avail. 

#17 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

The ONLY problem I have with this is we have already cut back the last month or so on our own. We turned off our sprinklers weeks ago and we are always very conscious of our water use. The only real waste we have is with our shower because we have a tankless water heater. It takes several minutes of running the water for it to get hot. In fact, we're installing a mini hot water heater under our bathroom sink today so that we can wash hands without running the water for 5 min. 

If you don't want to waste that cold shower water, keep a bucket (or two) in the bathroom. Fill the bucket with the cold water and use when needed it to flush the toilet.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#18 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

If you don't want to waste that cold shower water, keep a bucket (or two) in the bathroom. Fill the bucket with the cold water and use when needed it to flush the toilet.

I do that both in the kitchen and the tub, but I use it to water the pots outside- Figures it takes nearly 3 gallons to get the hot water to the kitchen sink and nearly 2 for the walk in tub...  but when you realize the amount of water this is versus what you use for outdoor landscaping it is not much- every bit helps keep the water bill down.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#19 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

That's a really good idea. I haven't done that in a while, but I think it's time to start that up again.

#20 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

No such luck north of the bridge where we are part of San Juan Water District. It is only SUGGESTED that watering be limited to the hours of midnight to 10am -- any and as many days a week as preferred. Sigh.

#21 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

There are hot water circulators to keep hot water in the pipes. Why aren't all new houses built with demand type water heaters? I have a friend that built a house on Serpa that is 4500sq' and has 4 bathrooms. Never a hot water supply problem.

#22 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Our house has the hot water heater circulator and I have it set

for the time periods that we normally need the hot water only.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#23 Stop South of 50

Stop South of 50

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

well, just remember that we don't own the water in Folsom Lake.  We have rights to part of it.  But the environmental consequences of stopping water flowing out of the dam and drying up the American River (and leading to saltwater intrusion into the delta) are huge.  We won't die if our lawns dry up, but whole ecosystems would. 

if anything, this points out the importance of all of us being aware of Gov. Brown's attempt to build the tunnels taking water out of the delta and Sacramento River down to southern California.  now THAT is something we need to fight.

Thank you for being reasonable and informative.  Those who always criticize as to how the dam is operated don't fully understand its purpose or laws/mandates that dictate what is/isn't released from the dam.

Also, when the lake is this low in the future and south of 50 is developed, how the heck is the current water supply for the city going to be enough for everyone.  Something tells me it really hasn't been seriously thought about by those on the council, just like the horrendous traffic problem known as the Iron Point/E Bidwell intersection.

#24 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

I understand the water in the lake isn't only for Folsom, and I understand the dam is meant for flood control, but is anyone else concerned they are stretching the supplies incredibly thin?  It doesn't really matter if the city has a piece of paper saying we are entitled to such and such amount if there isn't that much to go around in the lake.  Not only that, even if we do conserve what they are asking, the rates will only go up to cover basic operations.  Ask people in Southern California about that.

So are all construction activities such as water trucks to keep dust down being asked to reduce by 20 percent?

#25 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Just saw that this is a national story now (Folsom Lake level). I guess I am a bit perplexed that with such water shortages why are we building on the other side of 50 when we don't have enough water for a population influx (or even the population that is here now?) Is this to get tax revenue even if it is unsustainable?

Dawn Grove

#26 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

I already follow the water schedule/recommendations and yes my sprinklers have been turned off since winter started.

OTOH, if I have to wash out my trash cans, I will do it.
And, I am not giving up long showers. period.

#27 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:25 AM

I already follow the water schedule/recommendations and yes my sprinklers have been turned off since winter started.

OTOH, if I have to wash out my trash cans, I will do it.
And, I am not giving up long showers. period.

I think you're missing the point then. If you already follow the guidelines, then what are you doing to conserve wate? So basically your water consumption stays the same, because you can't give up long showers. This is exactly the problem. It's not for you to pick and choose and try to justify who can and can't use excessive amounts of water.

#28 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

I think you're missing the point then. If you already follow the guidelines, then what are you doing to conserve wate? So basically your water consumption stays the same, because you can't give up long showers. This is exactly the problem. It's not for you to pick and choose and try to justify who can and can't use excessive amounts of water.

Thank you for your opinion fellow citizen/ wanna be water cop. Lol

I haven't received the notice that you all are talking a out, guess I'll have to go on down to the PO to pick up my mail.
As for showers, thats right, I'm not giving up long showers. I like to stand there until all the hot water runs out....JK!!

Just curious, how many minutes does the average water-saving shower last? what does the govt recommend? do you time it?

However, I never said what else I might do.....that thinger-ma-jig that Cal mentioned sounded interesting. I am considering changing out the toilets for water conserving models. And when I put in the new landscaping, it will be on drip. Not sure how the new pool will affect water conserving though...

#29 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

The news yesterday said the pipe that feeds Folsom is only 49 feet below water right now.

it's all laughs and fun and games until we start sucking wind....

#30 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

Thank you for your opinion fellow citizen/ wanna be water cop. Lol

I haven't received the notice that you all are talking a out, guess I'll have to go on down to the PO to pick up my mail.
As for showers, thats right, I'm not giving up long showers. I like to stand there until all the hot water runs out....JK!!

Just curious, how many minutes does the average water-saving shower last? what does the govt recommend? do you time it?

However, I never said what else I might do.....that thinger-ma-jig that Cal mentioned sounded interesting. I am considering changing out the toilets for water conserving models. And when I put in the new landscaping, it will be on drip. Not sure how the new pool will affect water conserving though...

I have to say, I'm surprised by your attitude. Not just "Wanna be water cop" dig, which is unnecessary, but your lump-it-everyone-else-my-wants-trump-all attitude.

This is a crisis which means immediate action, not whenever we feel to getting around to it with new toilets and irrigation. You're telling us all tough sh*t, you'll do what you want and care only about yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users