40 replies to this topic

#16 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:44 AM

I'm up for a neighborhood watch community, but I don't want the neighborhood style and CC&R police to start. One major reason we chose this neighborhood was because there wasn't an HOA or anything of the sort. I would like us to be keeping an eye on each other for the community building and safety aspects, not going into it with the intention of taking our neighbors to small claims court. If this is the kind of neighborhood organization that is forming, I want no part of it.

#17 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Mar 12 2008, 12:44 PM) View Post
I'm up for a neighborhood watch community, but I don't want the neighborhood style and CC&R police to start. One major reason we chose this neighborhood was because there wasn't an HOA or anything of the sort. I would like us to be keeping an eye on each other for the community building and safety aspects, not going into it with the intention of taking our neighbors to small claims court. If this is the kind of neighborhood organization that is forming, I want no part of it.

smileyparty.gif smileyparty.gif
you beat me to it!

Posted Image

#18 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Revolutionist @ Mar 12 2008, 12:46 PM) View Post
you beat me to it!

And there's this funny thing about strong neighborhoods, you want to make your place look nice because you have pride in your neighborhood and you care (even just to a small extent) about those people who live around you. Hmmm

#19 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:53 AM

Me too... even though some of the houses are getting painted weird colors....

#20 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Any burglars come to my place and my dog will give em a burglectomy.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#21 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:12 PM

What she said

QUOTE(Revolutionist @ Mar 12 2008, 12:46 PM) View Post
you beat me to it!

and what he said

It scares me to think that someone is getting a group together with ccrs in hand to 'clean up' the town. Sounds like a posse. I hope they stay clear of west Natoma Station.

#22 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(MSgt @ Mar 12 2008, 01:12 PM) View Post
What she said

and what he said

It scares me to think that someone is getting a group together with ccrs in hand to 'clean up' the town. Sounds like a posse. I hope they stay clear of west Natoma Station.

"This heyar street ain'ta big enough for the two of us: me, and your recycle bin that should have been put away 3 hours ago. Get ready to draw (up writs of appropriate legal nature).

Posted Image

#23 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(Revolutionist @ Mar 12 2008, 12:56 PM) View Post
"This heyar street ain'ta big enough for the two of us: me, and your recycle bin that should have been put away 3 hours ago. Get ready to draw (up writs of appropriate legal nature).

I don't think the CC&R's cover TIME to put the trash away, it is not an HOA.... but it does cover the COLOR you paint your house (there are a couple clown houses on my street) and things like no fridge's in your yard tongue.gif

CC&R's and NOT as bad as HOA's !!! And it also brings us back to the whole, WE SIGNED UP to live here! smile.gif
<3

#24 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

I totally Agree- neighborhood watch and some action on the entryway issue but no CCR police and that is what I have stated to Barbara as well.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#25 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE(Andrea V @ Mar 12 2008, 02:59 PM) View Post
I don't think the CC&R's cover TIME to put the trash away, it is not an HOA.... but it does cover the COLOR you paint your house (there are a couple clown houses on my street) and things like no fridge's in your yard tongue.gif

CC&R's and NOT as bad as HOA's !!! And it also brings us back to the whole, WE SIGNED UP to live here! smile.gif

I didn't see any color restrictions in the CC&Rs. Perhaps I missed them and our realtor misled us, but that was a point of contention with us. We want to be able to paint our house any color we want. Clown to you may just be color to another and "acceptable neutrals" may be life without flavor to others.

#26 dancinmomof3

dancinmomof3

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:bellydancing, salsa dancing, dancing, laughing, biking, hiking, kayaking, parenting, pregnancy, childbirth, extended breastfeeding, nutrition, investing, helping people and the earth and having fun.

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

I am interested in installing some surveillance cameras. If anyone has done this and has some tips please I'd appreciate the information.

It is a sad situation.

#27 wrabbit

wrabbit

Hall Of Famer

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Mar 12 2008, 12:15 PM) View Post
Hmmm...nearest neighborhood to the Lite Rail station.....call me kooky!

You're in good company, Buddy...I got called a "fear monger" just yesterday, when I said that there was really no place that was totally safe.

Funny, this is coming up so soon after that. I guess everything comes to the surface, sooner or later.

Guess what? We here in Folsom, are not immune to, rape, murder OR burglary!!!!

And, homes closer to shopping centers are known to have more burglaries than homes located elsewhere. That has been the case for decades.

I lady that worked at Wal-Mart, told my wife last weekend, that she shouldn't put her purse in the shopping cart, but on her arm, because women had been having their purses taken by people in the store, and the thief's ran out the door before anyone could catch them.

So, watch your purses while shopping, ladies.

But what do I know? I'm just a fear monger!

----------------------------------------------------
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

#28 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

Be smart people, but don't be paranoid.

#29 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

My friend whose house was robbed told me that the thief took jewelry and a coin collection (which had been hidden out of sight), while leaving 2 IPODS, cash, and a laptop in plain view. The police said they believe it is a group of "professionals" (whatever that means) who have a buyer specifically for jewelry.

Also, the police told her the thief is specifically targeting houses that back up to a wall.

#30 wrabbit

wrabbit

Hall Of Famer

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

Being aware that there are criminals out there and being on your toes, has saved many from being a victim.

Placing dead bolt locks on the side door of your garage, is being smart.

Staying up all night with a gun, waiting for robbers is being paranoid.

One persons paranoia, is another persons being prepared.

People get this book......

The Gift of Fear : Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence

http://www.amazon.co...S...2762&sr=1-1

It may save your lives. I work in high end security and see plenty of crime. But my main job is in crime prevention.

The price of being trusting is often too high. Victims too often know and trust the people who rob, rape and murder them. Home owners that are robbed, often have entertained or had repair or service people in their home, so that person knows what they have and also their schedules.

Some times the burglar lives on the same block they do and sees them leave their house, then heads over there to rob them while they are absent. They know who lives there and they know when nobody is home. Nobody suspects them because they have seem them on the block before, and think they are just out for a walk. And sometimes criminals pose as salesmen, and when nobody answers a door, they try it to see if it is locked. These days they often use a "Bump Key" to enter the front door. Everyone should install a dead bolt that can't be opened with a "Bump Key" on front, side and back doors.

And, for heavens sake, if you buy a home safe, pay for it with cash and leave no trace of your identity with the store or shop owner. That means, leave no address, your name or your phone number. I've seen too many people get robbed, right after they have bought or had a safe installed. Install your safe yourself, and tell NOBODY you have one.
Yep,be paranoid.

The truth is, you really don't know your neighbors. In one case I heard about, after seeing several houses robbed, despite a Neighborhood Watch program in place, it was found that the next door teen aged neighbor was the guilty party. He just jumped over the fence...he'd been in the house and knew what was there. He went for the jewelry first, then got panicky and left, taking nothing else.

He came back to rob the house again, and was caught by a hidden camera, in the bedroom. ( If you install cameras, don't just place them in your livingroom, where they are expected to be. And hide them well. Pin Hole cameras have solved many crimes but are most often used to spy on the baby sitter.)

Jewelry is the first thing a robber will look for because it is the easiest to conceal and carry, without looking suspicious. It is also the easiest to sell and fence. It may be politically incorrect to say Light Rail brings more crime to an area, but the fact is, only stupid burglars park a car in front of the house they are robbing and load the stuff up in plain sight of anyone who can identify them. If they can get into the garage, they can just back up their car into it and most neighbors will assume they are friends or relatives, getting something that was given to them or helping the home owner move something.

The most brazen case I know is of robbers renting a moving van, and taking most everything in the house, while the owners were away on the weekend. Most in the neighborhood thought nothing of it. The next door neighbors went to question the movers and were told that the owners had found a new house and wanted them to move their stuff...end of story. The robbers looked professional so, the neighbor thought he was being too paranoid and left it at that. So when you leave on vacation or the weekend, let the neighbors on both sides of you know, and ask if they can keep watch over your house and collect your mail.

Having the Post Office keep your mail until you return has led to more burglaries because people that shouldn't, know you are away. Many people hold jobs and burglarize as a hobby. With some of them, it's the RUSH they get that drives them to steal. It's really a sickness that is very much like being a Kleptomaniac. So just because a person has a job, doesn't mean you should trust them. In my business we say the only person you should trust is you Mama. ( It's a joke, so don't get your panties in a wad.)

Police don't have the man power to investigate most house burglaries and hunt down the culprits. That is for those who work in investigating high end crimes, and those people usually work for insurance companies or are working for a security business or own one, like I do. The best the average person can do is try to secure your house the best you can and make sure to have pictures and receipts of stolen items to report to your insurance company. There are so many burglaries, police just can't use their time to deal with them. They have to have time to save lives, not property.

As for the Neighborhood Watch programs, they aren't really that effective unless people are suspicious, or paranoid, ( two dirty words to some people) and not afraid to call the police or investigate something that seems odd or unusual. Cars not known to the neighborhood should have their licenses numbers written down....neighborhood Watch or not....plus the make and model of the car and a description of the driver, if possible. Activity that is unusual should be investigated. Sales people should be discouraged. Barking dogs are good, but too often ignored because they bark at everything, so many people don't take them serious. A mean dog is good, but can also bite an innocent person and get you sued. The best dog is the dog in the house. Outside he can be side tracked with food, or poisoned and then he's no good.

I say, be paranoid or be what ever it takes to prevent yourself from being a victim. Not all robbers just want your property. They sometimes want you or worse, your kids.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users