25 replies to this topic

#16 Abandka

Abandka

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:47 PM

I love the median and will be sad to see it torn out.

I wish they would do something about the traffic on Turnpike with all the parents dropping and picking up the kids...not using the crosswalks and making U-turns in the middle of the street. Talk about dangerous. Personally, I think it is a bigger problem than Natoma Station.
[/font][font="Comic Sans MS"]

#17 jtroiano

jtroiano

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (Abandka @ Feb 28 2010, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish they would do something about the traffic on Turnpike with all the parents dropping and picking up the kids...not using the crosswalks and making U-turns in the middle of the street. Talk about dangerous. Personally, I think it is a bigger problem than Natoma Station.

I agree. I avoid that area when school is letting out. You would think the parents would want to set a good example for their kids and cross the street properly and carefully.

#18 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:19 AM

This is the main reason for the changes they are making on NS drive. Commuters who like to fly down NS drive blowing through stop signs are abviously going to be inconvenienced by the changes. However if you have children who attend school there or happen to live in the area the changes should be positive.

#19 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

I think it is a great idea, I am also hoping it will cut down traffic from the people who use it as a shortcut between Folsom Blvd and Blue Ravine.

#20 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Feb 28 2010, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but I have seen tire marks on one of them showing that it still is possible to hit them.

You see those on curbs everywhere in places that a car should never be anywhere near.

I think 90-degree curbs are stupid, it's like a guarantee that any accident will break your suspension.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#21 curiousity

curiousity

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Mar 1 2010, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You see those on curbs everywhere in places that a car should never be anywhere near.

I think 90-degree curbs are stupid, it's like a guarantee that any accident will break your suspension.

I understand what you are saying about 90 degree curbs being hard on suspensions and tires when you run into them, but you aren't supposed to be driving into them. Having grown up with them in the bay area, then moving here with the rounded curbs, I can say where I grew up never had problems with people parking their cars with 2 wheels on the sidewalk. I think these rounded things are stupid.

#22 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

CW, are you sure about the median removal part? I sure hope not.

They are also making modifications that allow for ADA access to walkways and sidewalks.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#23 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (tessieca @ Mar 2 2010, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CW, are you sure about the median removal part? I sure hope not.

They are also making modifications that allow for ADA access to walkways and sidewalks.

I didn't put anything up there about median removal. I believe it's staying. Removing it would be unnecessary both money and logistics-wise. There's plenty of room for a single traffic lane and a bike path. Also, I think they've started striping the bike lane already.

#24 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

Bike lane was in as of yesterday on the school side of the street. Are they doing the other side as well?

#25 SunshineServices

SunshineServices

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

Well if it is only going to be one lane that would be better. Still can't wait for the merge fights, people here do NOT know how to merge.

Remember when Natoma was two lanes in front of City Hall? How many times did they have to replace the guardrail at Fargo before the city figured out their citizens had a merge problem and it went back to one lane?

HONESTLY, ONE CAR FROM THIS LANE, ONE CAR FROM THAT LANE, TAKE TURNS FOLKS AND BE NICE.

Jeff

When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace.

Jimi Hendrix

#26 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

You're preaching to the choir here! The most effective thing to do? Have your kids hoof if and avoid bringing a car into the school zone in the first place. If you drive, pay attention to rules of traffic and common sense. Teach your kids how to safely cross streets and do so yourself -- make the effort to go to a corner to cross. Our kids learn most from our behaviors.

We're all guilty of not driving safely in school zones, some do it more than others. But when we're talking about hundreds of cars involved each drop-off and pick-up time, even "just this once" multiplied by the masses becomes a hazard.

Think twice, drive safely for our kids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users